Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 12:32 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,317 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this ... But it is a Animal Welfare topic, and since we (most of us) are into veggie lifestyle, thought it would work good here.

Do you choose to buy/use products (non-food items) that are not tested on animals and also do not contain any animal products in them?

For example, Crisco brand veg. shortening does not contain any animal products but it is made by a company that does major animal testing, Procter and Gamble. I choose not to buy.

Do you guys do research to find out these "good" non- animal testing companies? Do you care? Do you buy whatever looks/works good?

Just wondering how important if at all it is for us here?

We should let this be an informative list, if we so desire to be a resource for us that are unsure about some company etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:39 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,650 times
Yes!

I purchase from 7th Generation, Mrs. Meyers, Jason etc.

Even though I am not eating these products, it is important to me which companies I support and where my money is spent.

That being said, I WILL go out to eat at places that serve meat, I think it is important to let establishments know that non meat entrees can sell.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
It always makes me wonder WHO or what they are testing it on...But I don't look for the info. I don't think I want to know. Medical companies test drugs on poor students and low income areas in other 3rd world countries....It all makes me uncomfortable that anything I eat or use has to be tested to see if it will kill me or something. I focus mostly on toxicity to the environment as a whole. And that usually has the animal part covered.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
I also buy products that are not tested on animals, such as 7th Generation, Aubrey Organics etc. and I try to buy as little as possible from the major "evil" corporations, instead support small companies, when possible.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
I always look for that. If it is a personal care item like shampoo or shave, I won't buy it unless it says it was not tested on animals. Many products state this on the label. I try to look at the corporate policies as well.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Oooh, I love Mrs. Meyers, and I just found out about this company not to long ago, Love all the smells!

Jason and Aurbry are great too!

"I won't buy it unless it says it was not tested on animals."
Me too, Quiet Walker!

It is a must for me! I don't even like using/borrowing a bit of someone elses lotion or shampoo etc unless I know it is from a "good" company!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Do you choose to buy/use products (non-food items) that are not tested on animals and also do not contain any animal products in them?

Do you guys do research to find out these "good" non- animal testing companies? Do you care? Do you buy whatever looks/works good?
Absolutely. When I first became a veg, I did a lot of research, including learning how to figure out some of the loopholes in USDA and FDA regulations. It was mind-boggling how deceptive companies are. Karma can be a you know what...

pitt_transplant, I didn't want to know either, because the info can be downright overwhelming. You're right, a lot of people don't want to know/don't care that "benign" products are also tested on human beings. But there are some great options. And it's a snap to find what you need once you are familiar with good products, even if you must order them online!

I use Aubrey and Suki facial products. I never heard of Mrs. Meyers, and haven't seen it in our local stores yet.

A partial list of companies which do not test on animals:

http://www.caringconsumer.com/pdfs/c...esDontTest.pdf.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Mrs Meyers co make cleaning products. Lavender, Geranium etc scents.

It is a bit challenging and overwhelming at first, I agree. Things are hidden and I must read everything.
Even as times are tight now and most of the smaller companies do not have their products on sale much (not as much as the "big bad companies"!) I am still making it (barely ) to do my best to buy from companies that are ethically good!

And on the same topic, charities can be hiding things too. I only give to animal charities (and that is only when I can). I'll leave the "human" charities for others. I'll always help animals, I think they get less help in general anyways. But there are many charities that I do not want to support for reasons of testing and horrible treatment which it too much for me to even think about. I have seen so much: read, heard, watched, I can't make un-compassionate decisions, It would weigh too heavy on my heart and in my soul.

SeeBee, that is a good link, I have used it many times!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
And on the same topic, charities can be hiding things too. I only give to animal charities (and that is only when I can). I'll leave the "human" charities for others. I'll always help animals, I think they get less help in general anyways. But there are many charities that I do not want to support for reasons of testing and horrible treatment which it too much for me to even think about. I have seen so much: read, heard, watched, I can't make un-compassionate decisions, It would weigh too heavy on my heart and in my soul.

SeeBee, that is a good link, I have used it many times!

I never ever support medical charities. I'll still do other things to help "people" though. But never anything that has to do with health, disease, cures etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food