Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times

Advertisements

I saw a story on the news, and found this article which was one of many similar ones. Very interesting.

1 in 200 US kids are vegetarian, says first government survey; concern for animals main reason (http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/37412194.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUvDE7aL_V_BD77ii UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
So the future of America isn't as bleak as I'd thought .....

Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Good. After reading this article on pork farming, I'm glad to hear it. God, I'm never eating another piece of meat again.

Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is _also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters - broken link)

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,484 times
Yeah for the parents ( including me!) teaching their kids a whole mound of values...mainly for us is " just because we can, doesn't mean we should "...that means eating meat, killing animals, pleasures without concern for others...etc.
It's too bad we're considered the 'strange' ones for choosing natural foods....

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
I didn't really like the article. To me, it seemed like the journalist was trying to make it look like vegetarian kids don't eat well. I read the article a couple days ago, so I'm going off of memory, but the article seemed to put a lot of emphasis on some veggie kids being "junk food vegetarians." Hello? Look at what other people feed their kids! Kids definitely don't have to be vegetarian to eat horribly. I just thought that they could have done a better job on it.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,862 times
I read an article a few years ago where a vegetarian parent said of her vegetarian child, "If he can turn down a corn dog or a cheese burger and explain his stance among pressure than he can turn down a joint."

Basically, creating a strong willed yet open person is a byproduct of vegetarianism. Sounds good to me

Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Good. After reading this article on pork farming, I'm glad to hear it. God, I'm never eating another piece of meat again.

Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is _also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters - broken link)

Nice one! Thanks.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,862 times
Is anyone raising or planning to raise vegetarian kids?

What about things like shampoo and house cleaners?

What about the Rodeo and Circus?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Is anyone raising or planning to raise vegetarian kids?

What about things like shampoo and house cleaners?

What about the Rodeo and Circus?

My daughter was raised in a vegetarian household.
I think if you are raised that way, it just "is" and doesn't seem odd or exotic.

She was "allowed" to make her own decisions regarding meat when dining with friends and family. She went through a period of trying meat when at her grandmother's house for example.

She took her first "stand" on being vegetarian in Jr High....and like many kids of that age it just meant she ate a lot of junk food. She gave up meat for good, but still ate french fries etc. I was worried about her diet at that point and tried to gently guide her (e.g. "try the baked potato with broccoli instead"). She tried to go vegan for a time in HS but found it too challenging as far as eating at the cafeteria and the social side (i.e. going out to eat with friends/dates).

She's in grad school now. She found eating in the dorm at college challenging, and not having access to a kitchen was one of her reasons for moving to a house.

I'm happy to say she now loves to cook and enjoys shopping for fresh local and organic products. We often cook together when she visits, which I love.

As far as the animal testing of household products; again, it was just the way she was raised (plus the fact that I am cheap and use mainly baking soda and vinegar around the house ).

We never patronized the rodeo nor the circus. We did visit several zoos. I understand the purpose of zoos and I do like to study/view the animals, but the concept still makes me sad and I know she feels the same way.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Last edited by plaidmom; 01-19-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I didn't really like the article. To me, it seemed like the journalist was trying to make it look like vegetarian kids don't eat well. I read the article a couple days ago, so I'm going off of memory, but the article seemed to put a lot of emphasis on some veggie kids being "junk food vegetarians." Hello? Look at what other people feed their kids! Kids definitely don't have to be vegetarian to eat horribly. I just thought that they could have done a better job on it.
my family eats no meat , I eat what ever I want to. But the way cows and chichens are kept and processed makes me almost none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food