Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

You know your from Oxnard when

1 You cruzed Saviers on a Sunday

2 You know who Martin V. Smith was

3 You have eaten at a resteraunt while a member of the Dallas Cowboys organization was also eating in the same resteraunt.

4 You remember when the Raiders were in Los Angeles and trained in Oxnard.

5 You named your favorite park "Pirate park" because of the play area that resembles 2 pirate ships and discovered that all the other parents call it that now too.

6 You attended the Strawberry Festival at the Harbor and they didn't charge you to get in.

7 You have been to the Parade of Lights or better yet participated on a boat.

8 You know that of the 3 beaches in Oxnard only Oxnard Shores is in the city limit while Silverstand and Hollywood Beach are on county land.

9 You still call Oxnard Shores by its original name instead of the new "Mandalay Shores" name.

10 A friend was part of Nardcore.

11 You know what Nardcore is

12 You grew up with someone from the Band "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy"

13 You can take people to the film sites of the Melrose Place show.

14 You remember that the Press Courier was the local paper while the Star Free Press was the Ventura Paper

15 you remember when both the Press Courier and the Star Free Press were delivered in the Afternoon on weekdays. You remember delivering it on your bike.

16 You have seen A street down town change from an open street, to a closed walk way back to an open street.

17 You got your school band equipment from Hensons Music store. (You remember when grade schools had music programs.)

18 You remember driving thru the Chase Brothers Dairy Stores to get milk or eggs. You would drive thru, give the guy your order and they would bring it to your car.

19 You went on a school fieldtrip to the Chase Brothers Dairy.

20 You wonder who built the Pagoda at Plaza park.

21 You can name the kind of vegetable, fruit, or berry that used to be grown in your neighborhood before the homes were built.

22 You remember the Endless Wave Scateboard Park.

23 You remember when they tore down the Endless Wave Scateboard Park to expand the Carriage Square Theatre.

24 You remember the Carriage Square Theatre and the entire Carriage Square Shopping Center before it was boarded up. (A Lowe's is supposed to be going in there soon.)

25 You remember when the Esplenade was the Mall to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Oh my gosh! Chase Bros. Dairy had the best chocolate milk

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP001 View Post
...also, does anyone remember that old western festival they used to have way back by Whiteface in Tapo Canyon? What was the name of that???

They had famous movie sets like Little House on the Prairie and some older Westerns. They would have all kinds of Western reinacted "shootouts", food, games, guided tours etc.. The place was packed with festival goers! What was that called??? Does anyone remember??? My parents used to take me as a kid. I have a photo of my brother and I dressed up in cowboy clothes with guns/noose etc..
Now that place is a golf course!
Was it Corriganville?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Was it Corriganville?
Nope, it was:

BIG SKY MOVIE RANCH

Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM

233 posts, read 380,428 times
Default You Know You’re From Oxnard When....

I found this list on the net. I had to delete a rewrite a couple of them...

2. It’s 2 in the mornin’ and you order a FAT burrito from TDM.
3. You see some spinners on a van.
4. You’re driving and you think its an earthquake, but its just the four cars surrounding you bumping their systems as loud as possible.
5. You know you’re close to home just by the smell!
7. The P.A.L. dance is where you met your next boyfriend.
8. You didn’t make it to graduation without getting ****ted on by seagulls.
9. You still have issues with seagulls to this day.
10. You get excited about the Salsa or Strawberry Festival!
11. You listen to Rico and Mambo, and stuck with them all loyally through the switch to 103.3 The Vibe, as if you knew them personally.
12. You treat the Q104.7 and 103.3 DJs as if they were actually celebrities.
13. You remember when they first started redoing the Wagon Wheel exit off the 101.
14. Your idea of fond child-hood memories are “all-nighters” (you know what I’m talkin about)
15. You say hi to someone and they say “no hablo ingles!”
16. You going north bound from Santa Monica, and the beautiful 1 (PCH) turns into the ghetto.
17. When you’re in the gas station and a guy comes in with the Raiders symbol tattooed on his head.
18. You exit Rose Avenue and all the Mexicans try and sell you roses for $5.
19. Spanglish is the official language
20. When entering from the field roads in Ventura or Camarillo, you roll down the windows and get that great ‘Welcome to Oxnard’ smell!
21. You consider Port Hueneme to be your cities little sister.
22. You would never consider buying strawberries from the grocery store because some field worker has them for a way cheaper price on Rice Ave.
23. You have your choice between two major shopping centers: “Chedderpoint” and the Esplanade and there’s never parking at either.
24. You’ve been to at least one birthday party at Toppers.
25. You actually use the word “cheddar” or the phrase “you ranked it”
26. You remember buying Pepino’s from the ice cream man when you were little.
27. You’ve “hung out by the jetty” at Silverstrand Beach..
28. You were really confused when Emily Ritchen was built to look exactly like Christa McAuliffe.
29. When you turned 18, you went to the Spearmint Rhino.
30. Tractors are driving in street.
31. You hear mariachi and you know your neighbors are having a party.
32. You know when fights are going to happen and all rush to it to go watch.
33. You’ve cruised down Saviers at one point in your life bumpin’ it, windows down.
34. You hear jokes about Hueneme cheerleaders all the time.
35. You know better than to walk into Walmart on a Sunday!
36. You were sad when Discovery Zone off of Wagon Wheel closed down.
37. You used to hang out at “Cheddarpoint mall”
38. You get stuck at 5-Points and the signal light takes forever to change!
39. You laugh at people who try to pronounce or spell Port Hueneme.
40. You describe your brand of punk rock music as “Nardcore”.
41. You look at anyone incredulously when they ask “Where’s Victoria?”
42. You know better to not wear Raiders attire in Colonia and Cowboys attire in El Rio.
43. You know the two towers off on Vineyard are the tallest buildings in Ventura County.
44. You can take the turn from Patterson to Vineyard at double the speed limit.
45. You know that North Oxnard is the “nice” part of the city and South Oxnard is considered the “ghetto”.
46. You know not to make eye contact with the cholas in Walmart.
47. You know a lot of Filipinos that attended or are attending Channel Islands High School.
48. You could be blindfolded and drive yourself to TDM!
49. You will find everyone in BJ’s in the Esplanade.
50. When everyone refers to Oxnard as the “Nard” or “Ox-City”.
51. You’ve been to the Scary Dairy as a kid and survived to tell the story.
52. Even the white people dress like homies!
53. When you see someone you know across the street and you do the upwards head jerk to acknowledge them.
54. You can walk to the Strawberry Festival, from your house!
55. Someone goes around claiming “CHIQUES 13” or “coXch”.
56. You consider Lemonwood as LemonHOOD.
57. You know that College Estates is not really a bunch of estates.
58. You remember smoking weed out of a tin foil pipe at some homie’s house that knew someone who knew some dude who knew some chick you dated “back in the day.”
59. You would order a hamburguesa at the “burrito shop” (also known as Tacos La Costa).
60. You buy all your levi’s at “El Pantalon”
61. You have a family member who wears cowboy boots, cowboy hat and the embroidered belt with a belt buckle the size of a tostada!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Hey OxnardNative. Welcome to the party. I have done many of the things on your list. Heck man I know Mambo's mom. My wifes cousin is married to her brother in law.

Funny about the scent of Oxnard. Do you live by the Onions, Strawberries, or pick a vege. LOL Oh yea the scent of Oxnard and its many forms.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
You Know You Grew Up In Simi Valley When...
These are odd because most are written from the perspective of someone that is fairly new to the city where as a few are much older. I'd change some of them to:

1. You remember when the Regal replaced open space that use to be home to homeless drug addicts.
2. You remember when there were no gated communities.
3. You drove to TO to go to the mall and to drive to TO for the mall.
4. You don't care about the rivalry between Simi And Royal.
5. You remember when Santa Susana was Sequoia Jr. High.
6. When you see basic homes for sale for $600k, you wonder what in the world happened and you rent it for much less.
7. You remember the corn fields on the corner of Tapo Canyon and Alamo.
8. You saw movies at the MANN when it was a regular priced movie theater.
9. You remember hanging out at the Mountain Gate plaza and seeing movies there.
10. You remember the Drive in theater and swap meets over the weekend which was later replaced by new home construction (the mobile home park was always there).

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
10. You remember the Drive in theater and swap meets over the weekend which was later replaced by new home construction (the mobile home park was always there).
I used to sell stuff at that swap meet, maybe around 1979.

Another one: partying in the walnut groves in the eastern side of Simi Valley, must have been around LA and Kuehner or Yosemite.

Another one: Santa Susana Airport. I used to do touch and gos there around 1979 or 1980.

Here's a shot of it, 1940

from

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/...tm#santasusana

Last edited by Charles; 09-12-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Good old Mt. Whiteface...it was always a challenge to see who was brave (or dumb) enough to hike up to the top
I've always wanted to hike to the top of Whiteface but never knew how to find the trailhead. I've heard you have to cross private property and whatnot. Can anyone tell me the best way to find the trails to the top?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:49 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
I once attended the beauty school near Thrifty's at the time which is now Mountaingate Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County