Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
That is not a complete picture. Sorry, but based on your postings, I insist that you don't know the city as well as you claim to. Oxnard's disparate parts are almost like completely different cities. The place is too big and varied to paint with one broad brush, as in "the median household income is..." and call it a day.
Again, I never suggested it was a "complete picture", I'm talking about statistical distributions. If you looked at the distribution of income (or socioeconomic status) in Oxnard you'd see a more or less normal distribution (i.e., bell curve) where the majority have working-class incomes. What you're saying doesn't conflict with this at all.

Analyzing a population via statistical analysis isn't problematic at all, that is the purpose of statistics, you could do the same analysis for the entire country. You'd actually find a similar result, the US as a whole has a working-class majority.

As I said, you appear to be interpreting statistical claims as universal claims. The two are rather distinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
ROFLMAO...FYI I started this thread. I visited and I have found a few properties that I like an may buy..........thank you all xo

Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Yes, they are different. I misspoke in using "average." Meaning and thinking was "median."

That is not a complete picture. Sorry, but based on your postings, I insist that you don't know the city as well as you claim to. Oxnard's disparate parts are almost like completely different cities. The place is too big and varied to paint with one broad brush, as in "the median household income is..." and call it a day.
Winston, friendly advice, you will never get the last word in. user_id is a kid, just let him be. You aren't going to change his mind and he is not going to change yours. The rest of us are just sick and tired of it. Keep your useful and helpful information coming, just don't feel you have to convince user_id of anything.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Winston, friendly advice, you will never get the last word in. user_id is a kid, just let him be. You aren't going to change his mind and he is not going to change yours. The rest of us are just sick and tired of it. Keep your useful and helpful information coming, just don't feel you have to convince user_id of anything.
I know, but a part of me is having sadistic fun. But let's move on now.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
DowntownVentura, friendly advice, you can send private messages on city-data. Yes, I know, you wouldn't be able to childishly (indirectly) insult others if you commented privately, but that's life.

Anyhow, these sorts of fallacies have no place in civilized discourse. If you folks have no interest in my commentary then please use the ignore feature, its odd that you speak about it so much yet don't use it.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
By the way, to make sure I behave myself, I've again engaged the "ignore user(_id)" feature. This time I'll try not to disengage it.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 AM

DITTO Winston Smith........ROFLMAO I have to laugh about this Other Poster.../ person after reading there other posts on other threads BTW in two years they posted over 5700 posts.....TOTAL RIOT.........someone needs to take allllllllll that debating time an find a place to volunteer and help others in a better way.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
...someone needs to take allllllllll that debating time an find a place to volunteer and help others in a better way.
Hoh, jeesh, I never thought of it like that -- the cumulative time spent, year upon year, stomping good threads down a rabbit hole.

That's it, I'm getting up and away from the computer now. In the mean time, back to the topic of PH and other beach-front properties.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM

I was very impressed with the properties,very reasonable. I even looked at some very nice moblie homes.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Right places take deposits, but its a deposit and you get it back. Your first months rent is..well rent. That isn't a transaction cost. The cost to move from rental to rental is cheap, its pocket change. On the other hand buying and selling a home has huge transaction costs, you'll pay 4~6% to sell your home and you'll pay ~$10k in closing costs and indirectly pay the commission home you are purchasing as well.

Because your circumstances change, life isn't predictable and its least predictable when your young.
I am thinking that the differance between us is that I am established in what I am doing and where I am working. I don't have a need to move on to other locals or jobs. I can stay where I am for the next 30 years or so and be fine with that. We have no need to move and buying a home gives us what we are looking for in a life. From listening to you that doesn't fit into your lifestyle at this time in your life.

As far as getting back a deposit, I have never recieved a deposit back in 20 years of renting. At the last 2 places that I lived at you could clean, paint, and replace the carpet and they would still find a way to ding you for the deposit money. LOL And we were long term renters.

Truthfully that is not the case, I could have painted and replaced the carpet and recieved the money back. Just was cheaper to let them keep the deposit. We saw it as a cost of renting. As far as moving, renting a moving truck and equipment to move can add to the overall cost. Our UHaul and moving equipment cost us about $100 when all was said and done.

As far as paying anything to sell our home, we never plan on selling it. I always thought that Warren Buffet had the right idea. He is still in the same home after decades. My parents on the other hand have owned 2 homes. One for 38 years and the other for close to 8 years.

Just our experience and isn't meant to prove anything. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County