Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 22,137 times

Advertisements

Good morning! I am new to the Port Hueneme base and I was wondering what/where are the best places to live? I am not looking to buy a home, I am only looking to rent. I was hoping to find something that was all utilities included, but that is seeming very unlikely. I don't mind a small commute. My highest priority is finding at least a 2 bedroom in a good safe area that is in an excellent school zone. I would prefer something gated that allows resident and guest access only if possible. I heard that Santa Rosa Technology Magnet School was the best school in the county is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
What is your budget? Many places want your monthly income to equal 3X the monthly rental amount.

Around here most places may offer some utilities but not all. Lets say that they offer the gas hearting and water, but you would pay the electric.

For a gated 2 bedroom place you could look for a rental in any of the Surfside condo associations. As far as I know they are gated and in a safe area. As far as schools though, that would be in the Hueneme School District and you seem to be looking for a school that would be over and above what they have to offer.

If you can get away from gated neighborhoods and want most of what you are looking for, maybe look at Camarillo. As far as schools try University Prep. Camarillo would not be too bad of drive. Working at the base you could stay off the 101 and take roads that are along the farm land. It is not too bad of drive time wise.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you for the prompt response. My budget would be 15-1800. I can get away from gated communities as long as it's a safe area. I will look into and check out the information you have given me. Anymore information would be greatly appreciated. Is University prep an elementary school?

I was told about Paz Mar and Riverside from some people. Does anyone know the positives and negatives about each?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
Hollywood Beach has an excellent elementary school and you should be able to find something in that price range.

The Santa Rosa school is excellent but I'm not sure how easy it is to get your kids in and the homes that are close are VERY pricey. If you choose to live elsewhere you're responsible for transport and that would be the opposite direction from your commute.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
What are the grades of the children? A 2 bedroom for that amount seems kinda small..can you go up a few hundred dollars more? Just a throught. Good luck to you here!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Litlove71 - I was interested in that area before I moved here, but I wanted to get some good information on it. Isn't Paz Mar Apartments in that area and school district?

I took the drive out to Santa Rosa and it was very long.

LadyKLO - 3rd grade. If I could find a place that was all utilities include then I would go a few hundred higher, but I have to make sure I leave room in my budget for utilities, a car purchase and any other expenses.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM

From what I am finding there are 2 Paz Mar Apartments. Paz Mar Select and Paz Mar Reserve. Can anyone tell me the differences?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsailor View Post
From what I am finding there are 2 Paz Mar Apartments. Paz Mar Select and Paz Mar Reserve. Can anyone tell me the differences?
My friend lives there. I can ask her what the difference is.

Utilities will be rather low here. When I rented an apartment, my gas bill was less than $20, electricity less than $80 so I think you'll be ok.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
In Port Hueneme, Oxnard, and much of Ventura, your Air conditioning comes from the Pacific. You may need to turn the heater on around this time of year though. I say that because in some parts of the nation you may have budgeted much more for Electricity or Gas than you would need here in this area.

University Prep is K - 8 I think.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM

LadyKLO - I would greatly appreciate any information you or your friend can give me on Paz Mar. I am headed there to take a tour now.

SOON2BNSURPRISE - You said that I should take a look at Camarillo and that is what I have heard from a lot of people at work. Does the same thing go for Camarillo as what you said about Port Hueneme, Oxnard and Ventura above? What are some good places to live in Camarillo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County