Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,802 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We are looking to move to Moorpark from agoura area and I am looking for a convenient swim program/facility/team in Moorpark. I have been frustrated in the Agoura/Oak Park area because to do lessons I have to drive all over whether it is with the YMCA or the Parks/rec. And swim lessons are several times a week if they are on swim team. And because most of the programs are offered at outside pools...then it is only during the warm months that swimming occurs....and even during the warm mos there can be some chilly days.

Really hoping there will be more convenient programs in Moorpark or maybe in Simi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
There is a huge aquatics center at Cal Lutheran. Summer leagues in the Conejo Valley will be at CLU and Thousand Oaks High School, some will be morning, some will be afternoon. There is a pool at Rancho Simi Park at Royal and Erringer and they support a CSA team.

I was really happy with the individual lessons at the Conejo YMCA. Do individual, not group for younger kids. It is worth the extra cost, besides the YMCA is pretty cheap.

Also Westlake High School (don't think they do swim teams for public)

Check out Conejo Simi Swim Club :

Stingrays Swim Team Home Page

Class Aquatics :

Daaland has good reputation: Daland Swim Team

Indoors there's a nice YMCA at the top of the Norwegian Grade (Moorpark Road north of Olsen), Conejo Valley YMCA - YMCA of Southeast Ventura County - Conejo Valley YMCA, Miller Family YMCA, Simi Valley Family YMCA, Triunfo YMCA

Stingrays Swim Team Home Page

Little bit of a drive:

Tennis & Swim Center - Calabasas (http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/recreation/tennisswim.html - broken link)

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Had a feeling Charles you would know about this as I remember you posted the pics of the calabasas pool center.

Does simi have a swim center? I thought they did...in fact I know there is a Conejo-simi swim club. And that brand new spanking pool up a cal lutheran we did that last fall....really nice it was....but from Oak park/agoura hills it was hike a couple of times a week.

Back in the south....most the neighborhoods have their own jr olympic sized pools for the community...and each neighborhood has swim teams. And literally the kids can ride their bikes or walk to the pool....cant do that here.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Had a feeling Charles you would know about this as I remember you posted the pics of the calabasas pool center.

Does simi have a swim center? I thought they did...in fact I know there is a Conejo-simi swim club.
Yes, at Royal and Erringer.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Back in the south....most the neighborhoods have their own jr olympic sized pools for the community...and each neighborhood has swim teams. And literally the kids can ride their bikes or walk to the pool....cant do that here.

Yes, a lot of subdivisions have an HOA pool, though they all might not be 25 meter pools. If you use Redfin for real estate searching, a community pool is usually listed on the listing for a property (if that HOA has a pool).

Here is an example in Thousand Oaks (we used to live two blocks from this house so I remember this HOA).

2655 Capella Way, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362 | MLS# 10000082

Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM

I know where that is...pretty nice. We are looking at a new community up in Moorpark north on Spring street up a hill....Pardee homes....very nice...community pool, but more like a wading pool for cooling off....not a lap pool. You can check it out at Pardee homes...Cherry Hill. The purchasing dollar goes way further up in Moorpark than down around TO....especially new....and close to 3000 sq ft. I never though in a million yrs I could have a house that big in southern CA....that is if we can sell our crackerbox in OP without losing all our equity...lol...at least we have the top ranking schools going for us here.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I know where that is...pretty nice. We are looking at a new community up in Moorpark north on Spring street up a hill....Pardee homes....very nice...community pool, but more like a wading pool for cooling off....not a lap pool. You can check it out at Pardee homes...Cherry Hill. The purchasing dollar goes way further up in Moorpark than down around TO....especially new....and close to 3000 sq ft. I never though in a million yrs I could have a house that big in southern CA....that is if we can sell our crackerbox in OP without losing all our equity...lol...at least we have the top ranking schools going for us here.
Where (locations) is your job(s) going to be?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM

we have been here 4 yrs already....job for my husband hasnt changed. We bought in OP at the height of the market for the school district....and even though the schools have been good....I am just sick of the area.....and feeling like I truly dont fit in to this culture.

We were hoping to get relocated back home to GA....and we now know that we need to be here longer than we thought...so it changes things. We need more space and want a newer, more energy efficient home. And we are putting the kids in Christian schools to protect them from the school culture ...so now we will be freed from OP (yay!)and want to go somewhere that has more normal grounded folks like Moorpark. Four yrs here in OP, has been 4 yrs too long!!!

And for the first time I actually am excited to think we can have something close to what we would have if we lived in GA....and hoping it will be a better fit for our family...yay!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
we have been here 4 yrs already....job for my husband hasnt changed. We bought in OP at the height of the market for the school district....and even though the schools have been good....I am just sick of the area.....and feeling like I truly dont fit in to this culture.

We were hoping to get relocated back home to GA....and we now know that we need to be here longer than we thought...so it changes things. We need more space and want a newer, more energy efficient home. And we are putting the kids in Christian schools to protect them from the school culture ...so now we will be freed from OP (yay!)and want to go somewhere that has more normal grounded folks like Moorpark. Four yrs here in OP, has been 4 yrs too long!!!

And for the first time I actually am excited to think we can have something close to what we would have if we lived in GA....and hoping it will be a better fit for our family...yay!
I think you'll find people living in approximately the same income tax bracket and demographics in different locations (CA/GA or Oak Park/Moorpark) will be more similar than people of different incomes and demographics living in the same location. Meaning, I doubt if you will experience much difference in Moorpark from Oak Park if you are making a lateral move into Moorpark.

While Moorpark has an older section of town and has a little bit of an agricultural history, since the 1980s or so a lot of it has become a middle and an upper middle class suburb to Los Angeles - as is Oak Park.

The property values are a little cheaper in Moorpark, but it's also a little farther drive to jobs - may explain some of the difference in pricing. Kind of like how RSM is a little cheaper than Irvine - it's just that much farther to drive to work.

Interesting factoid regarding Moorpark, on November 12, 1957 Moorpark became the first US city in history to be completely powered from atomic energy:

Moorpark Marks Anniversary of Hour of Nuclear Power : History: On Nov. 12, 1957, a switch was flipped, making the city the first in the nation to use atomic energy. - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM

you had asked about the commute....my husband seems excited that he would at least have the train option for commuting into downtown if we move to Moorpark.

When i go up there....it seems like folks are friendlier, saying hello and making eye contact. That doesnt happen too much in and around OP/Agoura...people pretty much stay to themselves. I find that the clerks in the grocery stores are the nicest as they are normal folks. Cant tell you how many times I have extended friendly conversation, say while in line ( you know, we southerners make some the greatest friends standing in line!)....and it is as almost the folks dont know how the react to it....they are reluctantly hesitant to reciprocate, like they are afraid they will have to give something of themselves. And I think how incredibly sad....to grow up in a culture where everyone is so guarded because of the lack of trust. I have noticed in the fellow moms I have interacted with....outwardly nice they are, but dont expect anything more than that. No depth, minimal connection...only superficial.

Iknow you must miss living out here...but you have to admit how very different the culture is. If I knew of an area where fellow southerners gravitate towards just to have some connection and fellowship to get thru living here( think there might be some areas like that in Chicago)....like a neighborhood or area...I would move there in a NY minute. Unfortunately I think most southerners are too smart to be swayed in moving to CA...and overall I truly meet more natives than transplants. When I do meet transplants they have been here so long, they might as well be a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County