Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,747 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family is looking to move to Vermont once our current house sells. We are currently researching locations to relocate our farm. The only problem is that I am not sure which area(s) would best suit our needs and lifestyle.

We have a small hobby (at this time) goat dairy and are looking for an area somewhat similar to where we are in Virginia. We currently drive 45 minutes one way to get to most restaurants and stores although we are 10 miles away from a small town. While we would love to live off-grid however we do need to have a land phone line on the property and access to electric. The phone line and electric is required for a telecommuting job. We will not need to commute to any location for work.

We also have two young children, ages 5 and 2, so the school systems are a priority for us. We have been researching the schools randomly through the state which seem to be very small in the farming communities,which is where we are looking. My senior class when I graduated was 150 (which I felt was large at the time) and my wife had a graduating class of 14. But both were a while ago.

I have been reading the posts on City-Data for quite some time now. After not receiving any response from two realtors I contacted in Vermont I decided to post this question on here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I hope to plan a trip in the next month or two to schedule some properties to view and it would be great to be able to limit the search area.

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 10:37 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
What areas of Vermont are you considering? The Champlain Valley has the best farming land in the state. It's very fertile and fairly flat and has more temperate climate so the growing season is a tad longer. Addison County would be a good place to look. Lots of farms/farmland and Middlebury as the "hub" of the county is home to Middlebury College and some great shops/restaurants/theater etc.
Please be aware that broadband/high-speed internet is not available everywhere in the state so be sure that that is the #1 question you ask when you start looking at properties!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the tips on those counties. We are not looking to be in a high tourist area nor a larger city. We prefer the rural properties. If possible we would like more hilly or mountain terrain.

High-speed internet is our #1 search criteria with schools being second.

We have been looking at properties online for a while but are still trying to narrow down the areas we want to look at to make our search easier.

It would be ideal to find an older farm, with or without buildings on it, or a vacant piece of land that we will be able to build on.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
One place that you can check for farms that are for sale is NOFA...not sure if you farm organic or not, but I'm sure at the very least you can maybe talk to some people through them and get some ideas:

Classifieds | NOFA Vermont

Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM

@tkln. Thanks for the link to NOFA Vermont. I'm not aware of anything like that here in VA.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
No problem. In case you decide VT is not for you, NOFA covers most of the Northeast I believe...

Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Does anyone have any insight into the rural schools? In VA they are ranked on SOL scores and are listed for comparison at Rankings of Public Schools. However for some reason, Vermont is not one of the available states. Is there a website comparing Vermont's public schools throughout the state?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
Dear All,

I have never been to Burlington VT in my life, but I am planning to move very soon , we currently live in Montreal, Quebec.

Is the Burlington residents use to living with minority ethnics such as black skin?

Thanks for your feed back
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
Hello

Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Roof Farm View Post
Does anyone have any insight into the rural schools? In VA they are ranked on SOL scores and are listed for comparison at Rankings of Public Schools. However for some reason, Vermont is not one of the available states. Is there a website comparing Vermont's public schools throughout the state?
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

You might look into communities in the Adirondacks in NY state if you can't find what you are looking for in VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont