Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a "fixer-upper" house about 1.5 miles outside of Barton and we are looking for information (especially pictures) of the area. Although we have been to the NE and have family from the area, we have never had the opportunity to visit Barton itself. From the limited pictures we have seen, it looks like a small, quaint town that primarily keeps to itself. Is this a correct assumption? In small, quaint towns that we have visited or lived in before, we have enjoyed the two or three local restaurants, the local grocery store and the library. Are these the same things that we will find in Barton? How far away is the major "chain" grocery store? Is there a community center? Is there a gym of any kind? Finally, what is the local summer-time tradition?
We are looking to initially only spend summers in VT and then transition to full-time in Vermont in a few years when my husband retires.
As well, we have two small children and would love information about local activities for the kids during the summer and if there are any mom's groups.
We are looking for a quiet yet friendly town to spend our time and slowly convert this house into our dream home overlooking Crystal Lake.
Any feedback anyone can provide would be sincerely appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
Well, if you are outside the actual village of Barton you will quite a bit in property taxes and water/sewer costs which I believe are some of the highest in the state! As for box stores, you will be halfway to either Littleton, Sherbrooke or Montpelier. It's an hour and a half to Burlington and it's a great day trip. Newport is 16 miles and it has 3 major grocery stores and prices seem to be lower due to the competition. The Barton grocery has excellent meats ( I don't buy anywhere else) and the Glover store is 2 minutes away and their meats are excellent too. You will have Crystal Lake and Lake Willoughby is 7 miles away.

I've found Barton to be a "sleeper town" of sorts. Years ago it had a certain ick factor, but it has turned around a lot. Think about it, everything you could possibly need within 1/2 mile radius......I guess that's why so many out of staters have been moving in. Also, more people are spending money on fixing up their houses During warmer months there are lots of people out walking. The graded school also offers a summer program where the kids walk to the lake every day for swimming.

There are gyms in Newport...the IROC, which is a newer facility and one other as well. I think it's just a nice, quaint, CONVENIENT home base. If they ever get a wal mart and Lowes in Newport, I might never go south of the notch! lol But, always towards B-town.

I have a pic of Barton somewhere and will find it and post.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Currently, I'd say Barton isn't a bad town, but part of the good side to it is its relatively small population...like most NEK towns you have to drive a bit to get to chain stores...

Last edited by vter; 11-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Please don't stereotype/name call

Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
Barton/Crystal Lake is a beautiful area. Busy in the summer but very quiet in the winter. My friends who live there commute just up the interstate to Newport for work and shopping. Checking out the chamber, school and town websites should give you alot of info your looking for.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
I posted the Barton pic on my page...........

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for all the information. We are working towards making our dreams come true, one step at a time.

Happy Holiday Wishes To All -

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,802 times
Did you end up moving to Barton? We are looking there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont