Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,572 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I was recently offered a job that would place me in the Barton, VT area. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback about things to do, places to socialize, ect. for a 25 year old guy. It seems the NEK is geared towards people a little older, and I don't really know many people in that part of Vermont, so I'm interested in any information you guys have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Barton is a very small town and is isolated. If you are looking for socializing/nightlife type stuff you're out of luck. If you are into outdoor activities (hunting, fishing etc) then Barton is a great spot.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
Well depends on what you are expecting from life. I moved from Houston because I detested the fake people and was looking for a mix of more reality based individuals. Ok, I might be a little more reality based than northern VT was looking for. I've been gutting/re-building my own homes all over the US and I personally love Barton. Sleeper town? yes. (ask me more later) Party town? nope. It is in a transition and can fit any glove you choose to slip on. Personally, I'd rather see outsiders take on a more proactive approach and like to improve their home base. If you would love to walk to every convenience you need plus the most perfect lake in the state???? Consider it.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
as a simple p.s. give your stats and you can get a more levelheaded feedback. You're not in a situation that judges you in this state, but if you want an answer, it is relevant criteria.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
Barton is in a beautiful area and gets busy during the summer months. For nightlife Newport is the closest large town by Vermont standards and has some nightlife and other cultural offerings. It's just up I89 maybe 20 minutes.

It's way more than just hunting and fishing. Great hiking, swimming and boating in the summer and fall. For skiing Jay Peak is a short drive and endless places to cross country ski, snowmobile and snowshoe. Barton is pretty quiet in the winter. Since you would have a job you have a head start on getting to know other like folks in the area.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,572 times
Thanks a lot for the responses. Vter, that was basically what I had figured. I'm very much into the outdoors, but I'd like to meet some people as well. swanstone1, I like your perspective and appreciate your feedback. What do you mean by give my stats though? Let me know what you want to know. MRVphotog, thank you for suggesting Newport, it looks like a nice place online and I'm going to check it out when I visit VT this week.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

281 posts, read 1,238,009 times
Barton is not the best place to live in the Northeast Kingdom,although poverty is everywhere here.Crystal Lake in Barton is definitely a plus to being there in the summer.Also it is I-91 to Newport not I-89.Between Barton and Newport if I had a choice I would choose Newport without a doubt.Just a little more culture as opposed to little or none in Barton.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,331 times
I love Barton and Crystal Lake is gorgeous. If you want to hang with the locals - just go to Parsons for breakfast AND lunch if you have the time and a large enough stomach! Eddie does the cooking in the mornings for the most part and then has a guy come in for lunch time so he can just socialize. I forget if he's from New York, Jersey, or Boston...real nice guy though and some GREAT and reasonably priced home cookin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: