Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
oh dear god I've lived here for seven years and I'm from one of the flattest states of all. i work with a lot of native Vermonters and I don't think I've heard that word five times since I've been here.

the only time it comes up is on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I agree. I've lived and worked in Rutland since 1997, and worked statewide (including the NEK) since 2008. I almost never hear the word "flatlander" -- except on this forum.
So, you think I am making that up ?
I never heard of that word until I moved to Rutland.
When I got to Vermont, I worked at UPS and TEMP agancies before getting into G&E. Thats a pretty broad range of job sites. I heard it regularly. Good natured of course, but I heard it as much as I heard "Yankee" in Georgia in the early 70's. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I never heard of that word until I moved to Rutland.
It hadn't occurred to me you were making it up, but I guess anything's possible. The point is, some hear it, some don't.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
didn't say that

but I do

Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
didn't say that

but I do

Ok, I made it up. You win.

If it never happened to you, it clearly could have never happened. All the people who say that are a conspiracy of liars who sign up to City-DAta just to antagonize the 8 people who regularly post to the Vermont forum. Sounds reasonable to me

Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM

395 posts, read 458,637 times
Forget Vermont. If I were you I'd look into Central to Western MA. It would suit your political leanings and there'd be much more opportunity for teaching jobs.

Everyone who's never been to Vermont but has only learned about it through movies, books and pictures thinks it's some kind of shangri-la. Then they get there and if they spend more than a few days realize just how much the place sucks. I'm from NH and have reluctantly made the trip up I89 a handful of times over the past ten years or so and I've come to the conclusion that the people that live there fall into several categories 1. They work on a diary farm or ski resort 2. They live there but desperately would rather live somewhere else but do not have the financial means or will to escape 3. They are very artsy but do not play very well with others and Vermont offers the kind of culture that they feel at home in

All the pretty postcards with barns and covered bridges on them do not represent what Vermont truly is. No jobs, no decent affordable housing, ridiculous green laws and an insane anti-business mentality, an obsession with creating an absurd Norman Rockwell painting come to life atmosphere at the expense of anything and everything practical that makes sense, no coastline, no really nice lakes, Green Mountains aren't half as nice as White Mountains, no decent restaurants, no world class hospitals or medical centers, ......I could go on and on but I'm sure I'll just have a bunch of angry Vermonters telling me how off the mark I am. To each his own.

I've taken a lot of criticism on this site for expressing MY OPINION of the state but it is what it is. I just can't say enough bad things about this god forsaken place called Vermont.

Seriously, there are a lot of nice little towns in MA between Worcester and the Berkshires that you'd probably be much happier in.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 30,776 times
I go to Vermont every year for a week or two and I like the people I have met there and my husband and I have met hundreds of people from Vermont. I have not spoken to anyone who cannot wait to leave the state. Most of the people we talk to are our age or a little younger and we are both in our 50's and they say that it is hard, but they would not want to be anyplace else.

The state is not without its problems, then again, no state is perfect.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
All the pretty postcards with barns and covered bridges on them do not represent what Vermont truly is. No jobs, no decent affordable housing, ridiculous green laws and an insane anti-business mentality, an obsession with creating an absurd Norman Rockwell painting come to life atmosphere at the expense of anything and everything practical that makes sense, no coastline, no really nice lakes, Green Mountains aren't half as nice as White Mountains, no decent restaurants, no world class hospitals or medical centers, ......I could go on and on but I'm sure I'll just have a bunch of angry Vermonters telling me how off the mark I am.

New tourism slogan for our state.

Vermont - We've Got a S***load of Commas.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM

400 posts, read 849,805 times
Quote:
oh dear god I've lived here for seven years and I'm from one of the flattest states of all. i work with a lot of native Vermonters and I don't think I've heard that word five times since I've been here.

the only time it comes up is on this forum.
Its completely overblown. And half the people who say is mean it as a joke anyway. Large parts of the state are filled with "flatlanders" anyway.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora369 View Post
I go to Vermont every year for a week or two and I like the people I have met there and my husband and I have met hundreds of people from Vermont. I have not spoken to anyone who cannot wait to leave the state. Most of the people we talk to are our age or a little younger and we are both in our 50's and they say that it is hard, but they would not want to be anyplace else.

The state is not without its problems, then again, no state is perfect.

It's the New Hampshire thing, they're very jealous of the attention Maine and Vermont get while they are the drive through state (with the exception of a quick stop at a White Mountains Park). No interesting towns...the bottom half is becoming suburban... zzzz.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 30,776 times
Quote:
It's the New Hampshire thing, they're very jealous of the attention Maine and Vermont get while they are the drive through state (with the exception of a quick stop at a White Mountains Park). No interesting towns...the bottom half is becoming suburban... zzzz.

LOL I have gone through New Hampshire and could not find anything I liked about it. Vermont is definitely the place to go and relax, in my opinion. Hubby and I are going for a week in October this year, changed it from going in September. I love the crisp air in the fall there and the outdoor smell. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont