Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

We're in the market for a second car but don't have much money. Due to the smaller population around here my husband is having a very hard time finding something.
It's not dire we have one NOW but we need one soon. It would just have to be a running around town car (within a few miles).
We're on the border of Lebanon/VT.
Can someone recommend where to go or a good starting point? (He's tried a few dealers but we can't afford what they have).
Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
I bought an inexpensive used car at a Subaru dealership in White River Junctin about 20 years ago. I got a good deal, but the dealership was very sleazy. Salespeople were extremely manipulative. I had to set very firm limits if they were to have the sale. For example, a salesman called me and asked me to buy the car at the end of the month to help wiht his sales quota. Since the money I needed hadn't come in yet, I bought the car with my credit card. Then I was asked to pay a $30 fee for using the credit card. I told the saleman that I was buying the car early to help him and if he wanted the sale he would have to pay that fee himself. I didn't have to pay the fee.

I immediately took the car for new tires. I asked the tire guy if I really needed new tires or was I being overcautious. He showed me the visible rip in one of the tires.

I had expected higher standards at the car dealership because this was Vermont. So much for expectations.

Remember, this was about 20 years ago. I don't know if that dealership is still there, and I certainly doubt if the same people are there. But what I do remember is that they had a whole bunch of very low-cost used cars. I actually bought mine - a Subaru hatchback - for under $1000.

How are things going for you now? Are you feeling more comfortable in the area? Are you glad you made the move?

I'm planning to come up next weekend, but I'll be in Brattleboro, about an hour south of you.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:17 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Your best buys will be the private sales in the classifieds, but frankly don't expect good deals in Vermont. The best place I've found for used cars is Florida. Cars just seem to end up there and a lot of them are in good condition at good prices. Vermont, OTOH, has few cars, a lot of road salt damage, and a lot of people bidding up the price of used cars. A hundred dollar flight to FL this winter, and a tour of lots in Ft Lauderdale, Ft Myers, or Orlando might snag a great car. Be sure to know the book value and to use Carfax to verify ownership and collision damage.

Vermont used to have some real characters selling cars. I remember buying one from an old-timer called Peverall Peek. He took a Studebaker in trade for a old Galaxy that we found didn't run worth a c---, but he was interesting to deal with.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Related to this subject: What are the best type of cars to drive in Vermont?

Greenie

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Craigslist.com

Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Yeah, I'd look there too. Most, not all, but most people are pretty honest about what they're listing. Try both NH and VT. / Good Luck!

craigslist: vermont classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:31 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I have done this several times in the recent past for my family and friends. I love to do research. You need to research what vehicle you want first. If you are going for a car you are safer with Hondas and Toyotas. Some swear by Subaru, but my stepson works as mechanic and wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. Rating wise the Hondas and Toyotas get the best ratings new and used. The next problem is finding a good one. A vehicle is only as good as it was taken care of. Vermont has a limited supply of used vehicles. If you find one that you think looks good spend a little to have a mechanic go over the vehicle. This is money well spent for someone who knows little about cars. Your other choice would be to go to a dealer and look at the certified used cars. They are a little more money, but the dealer goes over everything before they sell them. Spend a little more up front than a lot a month or so down the road with a major repair. If you have no luck finding anything in the private market you may want to check out Grappone in New Hampshire. My wife grew up with one of the managers there and we have always gotten very good used cars from them at a resonable price.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Interesting that you would mention Grappone, 68. I grew up buying Toyotas there starting in 1972. Good dealership. Good cars.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
What's your price range, gypsy?
You can try these: Used Cars, New Cars, Buy a Car, Sell Your Car - AutoTrader.com , Buy New & Used Cars, Research Prices, Sell My Car, Find Auto Dealers , CarsDirect.com -- America's #1 way to buy cars online! , and ebay for starters.
I've been looking for an LHS and have found a number of them that look and sound good in Florida, PA, and the Boston area. Seems there aren't any where I live.
As for the vaunted Toyotas and Hondas, I beg to differ. There are just as many war stories about mechanical problems and half-fast dealers regarding those as there are for other products and dealers. Consumer Reports, despite rumors to the contrary, is not God.
You can get a recently used Taurus dirt cheap, and they are good, comfortable and reliable cars. Same with Impalas or Centurys, or Intrepids and Concordes--just avoid the 2.7, it has some of the same sludge issues that some Toyota engines have experienced.
I recently located a 1994 Chrysler Concorde in Burlington, original owner, 53,000 miles, all service done per the book at the local dealer, asking $2700. That was worth it and more, and occasionally those cars show up and are bought within a week.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont