U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM
26 posts, read 35,749 times
Reputation: 153


As a recent transplant to the Champlain Islands and working for a US based company, I will probably need to commute to the Laval, QC office once or twice a week. Does anyone know the tax issues associated with this?

I know I'll need to consult a tax pro at some point, just looking for some real life tips here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 AM
43,012 posts, read 92,113,694 times
Reputation: 30381
You're basically talking about business trips.

Your US company will be deducting your taxes based on your US address.

The fact you travel out of the country on occassion should be irrelevant to your taxes since you don't live in the other country.

People travel out of the country all the time for their employers and there isn't a tax issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM
1,135 posts, read 2,047,220 times
Reputation: 1486
It shouldn't be an issue unless you spend more than 182 days annually in Canada, in which case you may have to file tax returns in both countries. But, you would only owe taxes in the U.S. unless you earned money from investments in Canada or in another situation that I can't remember at the moment. The countries have a tax agreement to protect most people from paying taxes to each government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Location: on a dirt road in Waitsfield,Vermont
2,186 posts, read 5,985,281 times
Reputation: 1126
Personally I would think your employer would be the best resource to ask this. I would ask now rather than wait to talk to a tax professional after the tax year is over. As you probably know the Canadian Income Tax is alot higher than in the US but you'll get free medical and free college for your kids. :wink:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top