Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,265 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised this wasn't talked about yet. Taxes. I just saw the report in the news this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,831,416 times
68Vette, thanks for raising this issue - I watched this on the news last night and was really surprised, frankly, unpleasantly surprised too! I still thought CT was higher -- although w/in the top 7.

Yikes!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
$3800 in state taxes - on TOP of Federal taxes?? On the wages paid up there? Ouch!! Even with sales tax on food, I doubt the average Joe pays a quarter of that figure in Alabama - total.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
68Vette, thanks for raising this issue - I watched this on the news last night and was really surprised, frankly, unpleasantly surprised too! I still thought CT was higher -- although w/in the top 7.

Yikes!
We all know NJ and CT are up there in taxes, but not only do they pay less (now), they also have a median income of $66,000-67,000/yr.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM

It is certainly is an ouch! And, it appears, even with some of the funding/grants for the wonderful range of services Vermont provides to people there are cut backs in those arenas.

Hmm, wonder how else one can protect services and at the same time, produce additional revenue that can help defray / lower taxes.

I guess that is what the great minds in Montpelier try to determine.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Well our legislature ignores the 900 pound gorilla in the room: education spending. We spend more than other states but aren't exactly getting our money's worth out of it. The NEA has a stranglehold here.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Personally, one of the mechanisms that I think should be used more and more, is the restitution law in VT -- although I understand some judges and prosecutors enforce it, I think there are others who, for whatever reasons, do not and/or not to the fullest extent that it can be utilized.

Certainly, in theory at least, why not, depending upon the crime, mandate restitution and whether it all go to the victim [whether a business or a person] some of the proceeds can go to say a rape crisis center or a domestic violence agency, or towards an agency that oversees parent/child supervision visits. All are very very important social welfare oriented agencies and organizations -- and rely heavily on funding / grants - so.....if, for example, there is a injury to minor case, in addition to whatever sentencing / probation requirements, additional restitution goes to an agency that could help / is earmarked for that specific issue;

And, depending upon the case, and let's say there is negotiating for a plea agreement, why not incorporate a restitution fine as part of that plea agreement and have it used for an agency that could be associated with that crime.... let's say first time drug offender [not necessarily talking about distributing] but restitution to go to rehab agency.

Perhaps I am being too neat about it - I just think there are additional avenues to explore aside from simply paying taxes on... and a way of making sure agencies and organizations that are so important are not without funding.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM

353 posts, read 1,002,194 times
Seems the story has been removed from their site....

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,832,294 times
Just to clarify on the comment " sales tax for food ", it's not a sales tax but a high Room and Meals Tax. There is no sales tax for food you by in the grovery store unless it is prepared food you get if the store has a deli. On the positive side Vermont removed the sales tax on clothes about 5 years ago, always surprised that many Vermonters are still not aware of this.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 AM

129 posts, read 234,867 times
The education tax is huge. Besides that, Vermont has a lot of social services, and a very small tax base. These social programs have both a fixed cost and a cost that varies based on the number of people who utilize the service. Because there is only a small number of taxpayers to pay these fixed costs, the tax burden per taxpayer is higher.

I'm new to Vermont, and I hate the high taxes. I will not be staying here, and the taxes are a huge part of that decision. I am sure many of you will be glad to be rid of another "flatlander". But remember, as the number of tax payers grows smaller, the remaining Vermonters will pay even higher taxes to support the burden that was supported by those who left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont