Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation to New England, Vermont versus Maine, employment opportunities, scenery and beauty, small population town, country living, cost of living, real estate taxes, acreage

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times

Advertisements

Ozarks, as a life long resident of Maine (until 6 months ago that is) I am one of the States biggest cheerleaders. I am also realistic enough to know that it has some serious problems. The benefits of living there tend to outweigh the problems however.

The biggest problem is the tax burden. Maine has the highest taxes in the country on something like the 3rd lowest income. For many, that math just doesn't work for the long haul.

However, that being said. Maine is beautiful! There are thousands of lakes, beautiful mountains and the most breathtaking coastline in the country. The weather is decent; winters are nowhere near the severity they were when I was a child there. Last winter our grass was showing for all but 2 weeks in December.

Vermont is also breathtakingly beautiful but very rural and of course, no coastline. Well, they have the lake but I'm referring to salt water coastline in this instance.

Another option for you may very well be upstate New York. It has a very New England feel as well and more areas to choose from depending on your specific needs and interests.

(We have been in the mid-west for 6 months and hate it. We will be returning to the northeast next year.)

New Hampshire is also gorgeous, but as you can see from the above posts, there are some very intolerant people there. If you share that mindset, you would probably find NH to be a great place to live because the taxes are reasonable; the scenery is breathtaking; jobs are plentiful; Boston is an easy commute from a large part of the State.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably look at Maine and upstate New York first, followed by VT and Western MA near the Berkshires. It is very pretty there and much less densely populated as a previous post mentioned.

Good luck in your search. It is a big decision.

Last edited by BacktoNE; 11-06-2006 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 04:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
I love the scenery in both New Hampshire and Vermont, but I've found, in my limited experience, that I am more comfortable with Vermonters, at least with the more cosmopolitan ones. (I am from Brookyn, New York). I also find that environmentalism is an extremely responsible position and that contempt for the poor and needy is extremely irresponsible. As a clinical social worker, I have worked with some poor clients, and I know that people experience poverty for all sorts of reasons.

I also know that there is diversity in both places, and that conservatism and liberalism both have their virtues and deficiencies. I value self-responsibility and respect for the individual and I also value, and treasure, a sense of community. I do not want to live in a place where "liberal" is a term of contempt.

That said, I guess Vermont would be a better fit for me than New Hampshire.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM

26 posts, read 89,429 times
Wow, I had this very same question. I had job offers in both Augusta and Montpelier. On paper Maine looked much better to me, but I knew I had to check them out in person. I took a 2 week trip and spent one week in Vermont and one in Maine. Vermont won easily. The Vermont Mountains are so much more beautiful and even though cost of living is a little higher in Vermont, I think it is worth it.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I love the scenery in both New Hampshire and Vermont, but I've found, in my limited experience, that I am more comfortable with Vermonters, at least with the more cosmopolitan ones. (I am from Brookyn, New York). I also find that environmentalism is an extremely responsible position and that contempt for the poor and needy is extremely irresponsible. As a clinical social worker, I have worked with some poor clients, and I know that people experience poverty for all sorts of reasons.

I also know that there is diversity in both places, and that conservatism and liberalism both have their virtues and deficiencies. I value self-responsibility and respect for the individual and I also value, and treasure, a sense of community. I do not want to live in a place where "liberal" is a term of contempt.

Well said Arel. I am always surprised at how childish the political discussions are here on these forums and it's easy to become dismayed when your only exposure to people from another state seem to be frothing at the mouth with intolerant sentiments directed at everyone but themselves.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Lynch a Demo will be re elected Governor

NH is an increasingly liberal state, much in line with the rest of New England- denial of this is sheer folly- the shift to the center and left is seen in the states voting patterns. Senator Sununu has even parted with the far right and Bush.

Anyone who ses NH as it was 25 years ago is delusional.
Beg to differ, but Bush is no more far right than Carl Rove is interested in the constitution. W is a neo-con which means a disinterest in obeying the law and my way or the highway.
True right is for constitutional government, defense not invasion, and obeying one's oath of office. These items do not interest neocons or libs, aka neocomms.
Sununu is up for election in 2008 and he's either covering his butt or has had a jailhouse conversion.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:34 PM

89 posts, read 317,275 times
I would agree with a lot of what has been said here but if you are an avid hunter and shooter avoid Mass and NY as they are two of Sarah Brady's favorite states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Ozarks, as a life long resident of Maine (until 6 months ago that is) I am one of the States biggest cheerleaders. I am also realistic enough to know that it has some serious problems. The benefits of living there tend to outweigh the problems however.

The biggest problem is the tax burden. Maine has the highest taxes in the country on something like the 3rd lowest income. For many, that math just doesn't work for the long haul.

However, that being said. Maine is beautiful! There are thousands of lakes, beautiful mountains and the most breathtaking coastline in the country. The weather is decent; winters are nowhere near the severity they were when I was a child there. Last winter our grass was showing for all but 2 weeks in December.

Vermont is also breathtakingly beautiful but very rural and of course, no coastline. Well, they have the lake but I'm referring to salt water coastline in this instance.

Another option for you may very well be upstate New York. It has a very New England feel as well and more areas to choose from depending on your specific needs and interests.

(We have been in the mid-west for 6 months and hate it. We will be returning to the northeast next year.)

New Hampshire is also gorgeous, but as you can see from the above posts, there are some very intolerant people there. If you share that mindset, you would probably find NH to be a great place to live because the taxes are reasonable; the scenery is breathtaking; jobs are plentiful; Boston is an easy commute from a large part of the State.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably look at Maine and upstate New York first, followed by VT and Western MA near the Berkshires. It is very pretty there and much less densely populated as a previous post mentioned.

Good luck in your search. It is a big decision.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

Right on, arel.

You'd be happier here on the left coast of New England than you'd be over there on the wrong side of The Connecticut River ;-)

Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 AM

89 posts, read 317,275 times
I think you will find that in Vermont the "liberal" maintains its true meaning rather than the connotation that it has gained in the last decade or so. I would be considered a conservative redneck at a quick glance and yet I find that I have lots in common with the "liberals" in the state of Vermont.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Good to see NHNUT on this forum. He so eloquently expresses the views of the old line NH conservatives.

If you can bring your own job and realestate appraiser is about as universal job as exists, you could probably find work in Northern NH. Might not pay very much but the scenery makes up for it. The Littleton area has become infested with big box stores but is otherwise quite plesant.

Check it out.

Last edited by GregW; 05-24-2007 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: redundant sentence

Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
If sales tax in your place is 8.25% you will save some money there as Vermont and Maine are 5/6%, depending the exact location. Another great thing about Vermont is that you can travel pretty much the whole state is a few days.

Based on what you have said I would reccomend Montpelier, Brattleboro or maybe St Johnsbury. I lived for two years in Montpelier and loved it. For smaller towns there are too many to list but I would stay away from the expensive college/tourist towns like Middlebury, Stowe and Manchester.

Where I live, Waitsfield/Warren area is great. Real estate is very reasonable IMHO. Decent mid-sized house on 1 acre for less than $300,000 are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont