Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:03 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,275 times

Advertisements

OK, so don't laugh, but I'm trying to buy a good winter coat. Where I'm at now, we will have a few days in a row of -30 to -50 wind chill, but it's really not for an extended period of time. I know what coats people buy here, but what do y'all wear? I'm assuming layers are a good thing everywhere, lol, but what is your " go to winter coat"?

Thanks!,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
I used to have one of those 3-in-1 parkas, which was great but very bulky. I bought one of those high tech thinner parkas a couple of years ago and I love it. It's water and wind proof, very warm and pretty thin, so easy to walk around in/etc. It was not cheap, but I anticipate getting many years out of it.

I have acquired several different outer layers since moving here...thinner ones for outdoor activities, soft shells, rain jackets, etc. And then of course the regular layers underneath. Clothing/gear for outdoor activities has definitely been my biggest expense since moving lol. It doesn't help that I'm constantly finding new things I like to do!!!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:08 AM

167 posts, read 247,147 times
Can you give us a brand tkln?
I'm from Quebec and never managed to really acquire good winter gear... I would just make sure to wear lots of layers and cover every inch of skin. But this time I'd like to equip myself with high quality gear...! For once haha!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
I have a North Face shell parka and layer underneath it for the temps. My shell is over 10 years old and still looks new. It was expensive, but worth every penny. The new performance undergarments are warm without the bulk. Biggest thing is to block the wind and stay dry. Casual outdoor people may not notice the difference but people who spend time outdoors in the cold sure do. Heat packs for hands and feet in the extreme cold are priceless.
The nice thing about good gear is that you don't have to look like the Michelin man to stay warm.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 AM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
I can't really help as I have a liz claiborne jacket that I usually don't even zip up, even in -30 windchills lol...however, I am normally not outside for more than 10 minutes at a time in that weather(as at the moment I don't have the time to do any skiing or anything like that).

Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
Yup, mine is a North Face as well. I've also acquired some very high quality gear from LL Bean, and I buy a lot of stuff at Sierra Trading Post - if you sign up for their email deals, you'll get harassed every day but usually it's for 30% off a lot of what they carry...I have bought a lot of my wool base layers there for at least half off retail (it's usually last year's styles/discontinued but who cares!).

Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I think I have an LL Bean Rugged Ridge parka. Very warm and definitely worth it, especially this year. If you can wear one of the sizes they have left you can get a good deal on it, $189 marked down to $109.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I don't like big bulky jackets either so like Tkln I have a thin "high tech" parka. Good brands are North Face, LL Bean, Patagonia, Marker, Mountain Hardware. I get hot easily so on the coldest days I usually throw on a fleece vest under the jacket and I'm good to go. When it gets warmer...say above 40 I ditch the winter jacket and break out a fleece!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I have a Patagonia shell not cheap but worth it so far, and wear 1-4 pairs of thin wool long underwear underneath, Ibex(a VT company) or smartwool. My last shell also lasted like 12 years and still have it as a backup. I busted my zipper on the new Patagonia already so we'll see what they say about fixing it (after the season is over... can't go without it right now).

not part of the question but i like Darn Tough socks and so far their lifetime warranty is legit.

The Ibex indie is one of my best go to base layers
Ibex Hooded Indie Top - Men's - REI.com

Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
I layer, and I keep moving. Polyester or silk long johns and socks, wool socks, pants and shirt, sweater, shell and pants of Gore-Tex. Thrift store.

Bundle up in quilted stuff and you'll drown in your own sweat just by walking. Avoid having to be relatively immobile outdoors. To snowmobile is to possibly find yourself losing pounds through perspiration as you walk seven or more miles out of the woods, simply because of the need to overdress to stay warm on the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont