Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM

15 posts, read 88,105 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I'm an international educator, and have spent most of my life teaching in international schools around the world. I have very close friends living in Montreal, and I realize that I am not able to be in Canada for more than 6 months at a time due to tax issues.

St. Albans is about 45 minutes from Montreal, where I'd either like to rent or buy, and work part-time there. My retirement income is my own private plan with TIAA-CREF, and it will give me anywhere from $47,000/year to $62,000/year depending on how much I want to use or annuitize. I have my own private medical insurance.

Is there anyone out there that lives in Vermont and either commutes to Montreal or travels there a great deal? If I just decide to plop down in a place like St. Albans, rent a place for a few months and investigate part time work and real estate, is that something any of you have done in retirement? Can I live on $47,000 as single guy if I decide to let my other investments grow? I'm a guy that has worked hard his whole life and now and 61, I'm looking at this new life-style.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Hmmmm....good question! I'm not sure I can answer that. One suggestion though...have you looked at Plattsburgh, NY? You may want to consider that area as well.

Hopefully someone else can help answer this better than me!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
I live in Burlington, travel to Montreal as much as I can, and like St Albans.

I think your idea makes sense. That's one of the great things about the St Albans area - not only are homes a bargain there (by the standards of Burlington VT, or Montreal) but it's a nice easy drive to either.

There are presently 69 single family homes offered for sale in St Albans City and St Albans Town, which are the two different municipalities which make up St Albans. The asking prices range from $79,900 usd on up. Condos start at $105,000 usd, although there are only 20 on the market presently.

Best,

David Beckett

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times
My DH has relatives who live in St. Albans; his family has roots going back many generations.

The relatives are very nice people, as are some of their friends who we have met. St. Albans is an attractive small town, quite close to the activity of Burlington yet very quiet and peaceful. I know the relatives love living there.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
I like St Albans too.

Buyer clients and friends of mine have bought homes there, and find the commute to Burlington manageable, and the town very nice. It's also not a bad drive from St Albans to Jay Peak - one of my favorite ski areas.

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont