Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM

18 posts, read 36,468 times

Advertisements

Hello land of the great 802!
So I grew up in VT (Strafford and Norwich as a child / Queeche, Barnard, and Woodstock as a teen / and Woodstock and burlington in my twenties). After wandering for almost a decade, finding a mate, and having a family, we are ready to return. I know for sure that I don't want to move to any of the places I've lived before, as they are all either too rural (strafford), too touristy (woodstock), or too expensive (Burlington)
Some of my favorite spots are Montpelier, Brattleboro, and Waterbury. I would LOVE to go back to burlington, but that's not a possibility - $3000 for a three bedroom now! Holy cow!!!
So where should we go?
A bit about our needs and wants:
We are hoping to find a 3br for around 1200. If the town is thriving enough that income will be higher, we can go up to 1500.
We will both work full time. We both work in the food business - He's a bartender, I am a Jill of all trades - primarily baking, line work and serving. We both have tons of experience and immaculate references.
I also am a potter who specializes in large wheel thrown vases ($600 + each), but that's not always a guaranteed source of income, especially here in rural VA. (Everyone is too poor to buy my work, so I only sell a few a year right now...) I will be bringing my studio equipment with me, and hope to get going with my ceramics asap after the move. A thriving art scene, complete with affluent patrons, is key for me.
We have a child who is 5 and is high functioning autistic, and will be in second grade when we are ready to move (a year and a half from now). We are also expecting, so we will have a one year old when we move. Schools must be awesome, but also must be large enough to have specialized sp. ed. classrooms and staff.

We are wondering about the above locales, especially the following:
How's the local job market?
Artsy fartsy enough for me to actually sell my work? I'm talking great galleries and craft-welcoming farmers markets.
How are schools?
Are rentals easy to find?

I'm leaning towards Montpelier (my favorite on the list), but I've heard it's hard to find rentals and work.
I realize Waterbury is small, but it's right between Burlington and Montpelier, making it very alluring. Worst case scenario, I commute, but I'd rather not have to. And the alchemist is my fav place ever... Does Ben and Jerry's hire?
Brattleboro is awesome and seems like it would suit our needs, but I've heard it's a bit rough these days. And apparently jobs are had to find? And there is nothing nearby to fall back on and commute to for work, unlike the other options, right?
Please let us know if you have any thoughts about these places. Also, if you have another idea, please let us know!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Ok, now we are leaning towards Middlebury. Thoughts?
The college is a major employer, cost of living is reasonable, and the housing market seems stable. Great public transportation and not too far from Burlington, Montpelier, and the lake. The art scene is thriving and there is an affluent customer base. And schools are excellent. Any reason you guys can think of not to move there?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Rentals aren't easy to find in general, wages are low, and jobs are scarce... cost of living is relatively high.

It is why I, and so many I know who lived there and went to school there moved away.

Personally, if I was lucky enough to be able to move back, I would say Burlington #1, Montpelier #2. I had a job offer in Brattleboro (at SIT) and while I really like the town, the salary was so very low I couldn't do it.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Middlebury is my favorite town in Vermont. We plan to move there for retirement. Would move sooner, but don't want to do that commute to Burlington daily.
Good schools, thriving downtown, awesome natural foods co-op, great arts/music scene for a town its size. Lots of recreational opportunities...Trail Around Middlebury (TAM), the Snow Bowl, Rikert Ski Touring. Hiking trails in the Green Mountain National Forest. Great fly fishing. Lake Champlain is close. Lake Dunmore even closer.
Keep your eye on the local paper for an idea as to what is going on around town.
Addison County Independent | Covering the 23 towns of Addison County, Vermont

Also check out Bristol & Vergennes. Both great small towns commutable to Middlebury and Burlington.

Last edited by vter; 01-11-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Renting is good for short term finding a place you want to live but if you want to be there long term you are far better off buying.

Northfield might be worth a look too. Close to Montpelier and the university might have some employment opportunities.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

371 posts, read 537,124 times
$1200 for a 3 bedroom anywhere in Vermont is unrealistic, except maybe some parts of the NEK or a town where you certainly wouldn't have the amenities that you are looking for.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone! We are heavily leaning towards middlebury. It really does suit our needs very well. And I have always liked it. Employment at the college looks promising, and their wages, even for entry-level positions, are looking pretty good!
Quick question for Soup guy... Where are you getting your info regarding cost of living? You mentioned that 1200 as way too low unless if we live in northeast kingdom? I'm getting my housing costs from craigslist, local classified ads in the paper, and real estate agents in the various towns I've been researching. Out of the 4 towns mentioned, only Middlebury is out of that range, and only by a margin of about 200 per mo. Just curious. Unless if there is a statewide conspiracy to trick me!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Rentals aren't easy to find in general, wages are low, and jobs are scarce... cost of living is relatively high.

It is why I, and so many I know who lived there and went to school there moved away.

Personally, if I was lucky enough to be able to move back, I would say Burlington #1, Montpelier #2. I had a job offer in Brattleboro (at SIT) and while I really like the town, the salary was so very low I couldn't do it.
This whole "wages are low" thing is interesting to me. Try 8 dollars an hour for a job you are professionally trained in with 10 yrs experience. That's low... and other folks I know in this area think my wage is good!!! Most "blue collar" workers in my area make min wage (7.25) or just a bit more. Even your min wage in VT will be over 2 bucks more an hr once we move in 2019. And VT's cost of living (everywhere but the north east by burlington...) is not much more than where we are if you take the higher wages into account.

That being said, thanks for your feedback on locations. I also love burlington, but it costs over twice as much to rent there as when I left!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 AM

371 posts, read 537,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinawren42 View Post
Thanks everyone! We are heavily leaning towards middlebury. It really does suit our needs very well. And I have always liked it. Employment at the college looks promising, and their wages, even for entry-level positions, are looking pretty good!
Quick question for Soup guy... Where are you getting your info regarding cost of living? You mentioned that 1200 as way too low unless if we live in northeast kingdom? I'm getting my housing costs from craigslist, local classified ads in the paper, and real estate agents in the various towns I've been researching. Out of the 4 towns mentioned, only Middlebury is out of that range, and only by a margin of about 200 per mo. Just curious. Unless if there is a statewide conspiracy to trick me!
I'm a renter. I sold my house a few years ago and have been renting since I moved back to VT. I wanted to move back to the Upper Valley but had no luck finding a one bedroom within my budget ($800 - including heat). Everything I saw in that range was really a dump or a bad location. I finally was able to move into senior housing in Chittenden county, but I am constantly looking at rentals elsewhere so I think I have a pretty good handle on what you can get for $1200. But if you can find a livable 3 bedroom for that price, in Middlebury or another thriving location, that's great...just beware of scams.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:08 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I'm a renter. I sold my house a few years ago and have been renting since I moved back to VT. I wanted to move back to the Upper Valley but had no luck finding a one bedroom within my budget ($800 - including heat). Everything I saw in that range was really a dump or a bad location. I finally was able to move into senior housing in Chittenden county, but I am constantly looking at rentals elsewhere so I think I have a pretty good handle on what you can get for $1200. But if you can find a livable 3 bedroom for that price, in Middlebury or another thriving location, that's great...just beware of scams.
As Soup Nazi said, I think the key here is 'livable'. Sometimes, if it's that cheap, there's a reason. Make sure to do your due diligence. I personally have never seen anything that cheap in Waterbury, but that's my only frame of reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont