Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times

Advertisements

One of the big problems is the owners who let go of their guns. They sell them, give them as gifts, pawn them, leave them unsecured, and those guns are used in at least 80% of the gun homicides and armed robberies (125,000 annually). If they'd been King Arthur, they would have sold Excalibur to Mordred, not the proper mindset for someone who values the power of a weapon.

If gun purchasers were obliged to make sure the weapon they buy would be their responsibility until the day it was no longer recognizable or usable as a firearm, they would be more cautious in buying it and ensuring it never passed from their control until the day they died.

This would effectively create millions of gun control agents and pretty much shut off the biggest source of firearms for criminals.

And-- the Second Amendment would not be violated! The NRA could change its motto to, "You can have my weapon when you unglue it from my cold, dead hands."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
One of the big problems is the owners who let go of their guns. They sell them, give them as gifts, pawn them, leave them unsecured, and those guns are used in at least 80% of the gun homicides and armed robberies (125,000 annually). If they'd been King Arthur, they would have sold Excalibur to Mordred, not the proper mindset for someone who values the power of a weapon.

If gun purchasers were obliged to make sure the weapon they buy would be their responsibility until the day it was no longer recognizable or usable as a firearm, they would be more cautious in buying it and ensuring it never passed from their control until the day they died.

This would effectively create millions of gun control agents and pretty much shut off the biggest source of firearms for criminals.

And-- the Second Amendment would not be violated! The NRA could change its motto to, "You can have my weapon when you unglue it from my cold, dead hands."
It's already a federal felony to sell to someone who is a prohibited person.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM

The VT Supreme Court is going to decide on whether or not the charges are appropriate on Jack Sawyer. Even if they rule for the state it may prove difficult to get a conviction from a jury. https://www.rutlandherald.com/articl...supreme-court/

So there's a very real possibility this kid will be walking free. And able to pass another background check like he did the first time (for a standard shotgun). The legislature also appears unwilling to bring armed police officers in to schools to guard them. The whole thing is a farce. And it's going to be expensive when the state has to defend it in court (the gun law).

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
New York, New Jersey ,Western Conn. all up Rt.91..Vermonters sold their land to the Bob Newhart's of the world. and bringing big city fears with them.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 AM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The VT Supreme Court is going to decide on whether or not the charges are appropriate on Jack Sawyer. Even if they rule for the state it may prove difficult to get a conviction from a jury. https://www.rutlandherald.com/articl...supreme-court/

So there's a very real possibility this kid will be walking free. And able to pass another background check like he did the first time (for a standard shotgun). The legislature also appears unwilling to bring armed police officers in to schools to guard them. The whole thing is a farce. And it's going to be expensive when the state has to defend it in court (the gun law).
I always questioned the 'attempt' charge when no real, actual attempt was made. That said, this kid sounds very disturbed, and there SHOULD be a mechanism where he is flagged and not allowed to purchase ANY firearm unless and until a full mental evaluation has been conducted. These are the people who shouldn't have weapons.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:03 AM

I've written the governor and my legislators urging them to look at reforming the process for ordering psychiatric evaluations and involuntarily committing dangerous individuals like this. It seems to fall on deaf ears. I don't think that school in Fair Haven will be safe if this kid walks free. I don't want him to be free and able to have a firearm but this gun bill isn't going to accomplish that. We can't criminalize thoughts but we can keep people like this who pose a severe danger to society in a safe place where they'll get some treatment for their problems.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's already a federal felony to sell to someone who is a prohibited person.
But it should be illegal to sell to somebody who lets it get out of their control for any reason-- even theft-- with the result that it winds up in the hands of anybody-- not just felons-- who uses it to commit a crime or commit suicide.

King Arthur never let a lesser mortal use Excalibur. Why should any gun owner do otherwise? If I lend my weapon to a good friend who then lets it get stolen and used in a crime; or who lends it to someone who then murders her spouse, even though he might be my best friend, he has proven himself unworthy to touch anyone else's firearm. Let him show he is responsible by buying his own.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
But it should be illegal to sell to somebody who lets it get out of their control for any reason-- even theft-- with the result that it winds up in the hands of anybody-- not just felons-- who uses it to commit a crime or commit suicide.
So you do you stop a gun from being stolen in a locked home? Isn't it reasonable to assume that the gun is as secure as you can make it? Doesn't the criminal who stole it bear the responsibility. I keep my guns in a gun safe. However, so did my friend. When he was on vacation, thieves broke into his locked home, and took a saws all (circular saw) to the gun safe, opened it, and stole all his guns, and other valuables. All the safe did was to show the criminals where his guns, and valuables were.

Quote:
King Arthur never let a lesser mortal use Excalibur. Why should any gun owner do otherwise? If I lend my weapon to a good friend who then lets it get stolen and used in a crime; or who lends it to someone who then murders her spouse, even though he might be my best friend, he has proven himself unworthy to touch anyone else's firearm. Let him show he is responsible by buying his own.
Now you are just getting silly, and I can see where your arguments emanate from. FANTASY. Maybe gun owners can hire Merlin the Magician to cast spells on their guns so they never get stolen. Wow.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Therein lies the heart of the matter: How much does someone want to own a gun? Knowing that they will have a lifetime responsibility for its use will guide their decision to buy one and to store it securely.

They will weigh their desire to protect themselves from a tyrannical government against the possibility of going to jail for a murder someone else committed with their gun. They will weigh their need for personal protection against the possibility of being arrested as an accomplice in a burglary committed fifteen years after they sold the weapon used. If they decide to purchase one, they will consider whether they want to store it in a tin box that can be opened with a power saw, a safe that would require ten hours with a jackhammer, or take it with them every time they leave home (as they normally do with their children).

We as a culture do have to start thinking of firearms as potent instruments which can cause death, instruments we responsible people must jealously hold forever or else destroy, lest they pass into unworthy hands.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:

So you're proposing to punish people who are the victims of thieves now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont