Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 13,476 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be relocating to VT in the next few months, and working in Rutland. I'm wondering if anyone can provide me a few recommendations on where to do some house/ neighborhood hunting within ~1 hour commuting time to Rutland.

Happy to provide some more details to narrow a search, but nothing is really off the table so long as it's relatively nice and safe.

Thanks all-- appreciate any help this forum can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:28 PM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
1 hour commute? You are really open to spending an hour on the road each way? I assume not a daily commute? That is a crazy distance, You could live in Hanover NH or Manchester VT or North to Vergennes or west to lake george. That is a lot of area and with the criteria being "relatively nice and safe" You are not giving us anything to go on. All of Vermont is relatively nice and unless you plan on living in the few dumpy crack houses in rutland the whole state is safe. Yeah, we are going to need more info to assist on this.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,476 times
Yup, I am. Granted, if there are good areas to check out that are closer, that'd be great. I just figured casting as wide a net as possible made sense. I'm moving from a part of the country where an hour commute is the norm, so it really wouldn't bother me too much.

Some more details, if they help:
-I'm hoping to find a nice community that is relatively easy to integrate into (aka, I would rather not live on an isolated piece of land)
-My wife and I have a young child, and we're planning to stay here for a while. A good school district would be great.
-Not overly concerned about cost of living/ housing prices
-My wife is an avid skier, albeit Killington appears to be pretty transient? Or, at best, where folks don't primarily live, but have their vacation homes?

Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:50 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Do you want a 1 hour commute in good weather => several hour commute in bad weather, or 15 minute commute in good weather => 1 hour commute in bad weather?

Old 09-12-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan850 View Post
Yup, I am. Granted, if there are good areas to check out that are closer, that'd be great. I just figured casting as wide a net as possible made sense. I'm moving from a part of the country where an hour commute is the norm, so it really wouldn't bother me too much.

-I'm hoping to find a nice community that is relatively easy to integrate into (aka, I would rather not live on an isolated piece of land)
-My wife and I have a young child, and we're planning to stay here for a while. A good school district would be great.
-My wife is an avid skier, albeit Killington appears to be pretty transient? Or, at best, where folks don't primarily live, but have their vacation homes?

Thanks again.
Well not sure this helps that much. Are you familiar with Vermont and the area you are moving to?

So taking these one at a time.

A nice community easy to integrate into. Not living on isolated land. - what does this mean exactly? The state of Vermont is very rural. Many many communities like mine have less then 1500 people spread out in a large area. When you say "isolated" what does that mean to you? Do you want to be in a town? What size? A "nice" community has no specific description. They are all nice.

A good school district - OK this is specific. I can't actually help on this though as I do not know, you can find that info somewhere though, generally I am going to say the wealthiest areas have the best schools. You might look at Manchester or Woodstock and see how they rank.

Not concerned about cost - OK well then no need to consider that. Do you want to be in the most expensive areas? Would you consider that the "nicest" ...because that is fairly easy to define.

Skiing - is this really important? Your correct there are a lot of second homes in any of the ski areas, but people still do live there year round. If you wanted to be very close to skiing that could be an option. On the other hand if you live anywhere in Vermont you are going to be "relatively" close to skiing. If you are planning on only skiing occasionally probably no need to build your housing consideration around proximity to a ski area.

Again I am going to say you have not truly defined what the ideal location is. As such hard to offer advice.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:23 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Just reading the replies to this thread, you can discern that many Vermonters don't take too kindly to strangers. See link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...t-arizona.html

Old 09-13-2021, 07:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:

Thanks again.

Please proceed with caution on the housing price / housing AVAILABILITY factor. The Vermont housing market (for sales) is very difficult for buyers right now. The inventory is very low, and when a house does come on the market, the list price is just a conversation-starter -- it has nothing to do with reality. We recently lost out on a house in a very nice location in a nice town. We bid 11% over asking, cash, no inspection (this is expected now, in the area we were trying for). (By the way, we know how reckless "no inspection" sounds, and in fact IS. But the house was clearly livable and had been lived in nonstop since 1830, and we knew we could fix anything that was found -- the location and general condition made it a safe bet.)

ANYWAY, in spite of all that, we lost the house to other buyers who did all of what we did, but with an offer of "quite a bit more." (That is all the listing agent would divulge.) From what I've heard from a realtor there and a mortgage broker there, it is off the charts, and feels ... INSANE. I suspect that the "winning" bid was at least 20% over asking, also cash/no inspection.

It's miserable for people who really need a house to live in.

Perhaps your experience will be nothing like this. I do hope so, but I thought it would not hurt to throw in a word of caution.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Just reading the replies to this thread, you can discern that many Vermonters don't take too kindly to strangers. See link.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/ver...t-arizona.html
Actually I don't think that is true, overall. Most folks in Vermont seem to be transplants themselves.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
Killington has by far the best elementary school close to Rutland. Middle and High School mostly goes to Woodstock which is a better Middle and High School than anywhere around Rutland. There’s a development at the bottom of Pico across Rout 4 that is partly in Killington and partly in Mendon. That would be a trivial commute to Rutland. I have friends there where the wall with the kitchen sink is in Mendon and the rest of the house is in Killington. Between the retirees and the telecommuters, plus people who own business in town or who have professional jobs in Rutland, there are a lot of non-transient people in Killington. With children in the school system, you’ll meet people.

Be aware that the gold plated elementary school and tuitioning out to Woodstock make for a pretty big resident state school tax. You want to talk to a CPA to understand where you would stand based on your income since it’s means tested.

I’m assuming that when you say you don’t care about prices, you really mean it. Compared to anywhere else close to Rutland, it’s expensive. A lot of the single family home housing stock that makes it to the market is older and needs a lot of work.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:43 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I know a number of people who live in Brandon and work in Rutland. It should take you less than half an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont