Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,226 times

Advertisements

Now that Vermont government allows on-farm raw or "Farm Fresh" milk sales and advertising, I am wondering if anyone knows of a farm or a store where I can purchase it?

I searched during my visit to Vermont last week with no luck. There was a Raw Milk Ice Cream Festival in Stowe July 15, which I was sorry to miss. We're heading back up in August and I'm hoping to know of a place by then.

Anyone remember the old fashioned milk in the bottle where the cream would rise to the top? This is what is supposed to be available for sale and I'm looking for. I've checked several websites which discuss the topic but haven't found actual locations to buy the milk. ---

Rural Vermont
A CAMPAIGN FOR REAL (RAW) MILK!

Do you know of a directory showing the farms, or stores? Maybe a website with a list of farms? I guess my next step is to email Montpelier to see if they have information. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,304 times
The owners of what was Olive's Bistro in Stowe have a contact...I can't remember what they renamed the restaurant right now, but they only use local and sustainable ingredients in all their cooking - they are VERY hardcore about it as well. While there in May, we ate there and they gave us some raw milk. I forgot where they got it from, but I'm sure they would share with you if you asked. They're located in the shopping center across from Harvest Market.

You might try contacting Mansfield Dairy and see if you can buy direct from them as well...and let me know what you find out! I can get it down here in NY, but will need a source when we move. :-)

OH - also, try contacting SherylCatMom from this forum - I know she gets hers direct from a farm near Rutland I believe...she probably knows some more info...

Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
The owners of what was Olive's Bistro in Stowe have a contact...I can't remember what they renamed the restaurant right now, but they only use local and sustainable ingredients in all their cooking - they are VERY hardcore about it as well. While there in May, we ate there and they gave us some raw milk. I forgot where they got it from, but I'm sure they would share with you if you asked. They're located in the shopping center across from Harvest Market.

You might try contacting Mansfield Dairy and see if you can buy direct from them as well...and let me know what you find out! I can get it down here in NY, but will need a source when we move. :-)

OH - also, try contacting SherylCatMom from this forum - I know she gets hers direct from a farm near Rutland I believe...she probably knows some more info...
Thanks Tkln! I stopped into Mansfield Dairy one day, but had no luck there.

I noticed a new restaurant in the same location where Olive's Bistro was. Is it called "Claire's Farm Restaurant" or something like that? I told my husband that I'd like to go there when we return to Stowe in August.

I'll send SherylCatMom a PM & hope she can guide me - thanks for your help! If I find out anything I'll share it here.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 PM

No problem! Yes, the owners have owned the place for a while apparently (maybe a year or two??) and only recently changed the name...I had never eaten there when it was the original Olives - my fiancé had and he loved it, but that was years ago.

I just read your other post about your experience there - not sure when it was from, but I will say this much - the night we went in May, we were the ONLY ones there and the husband spent the entire meal with us. It was nice talking to him, but I would have liked to enjoy the meal a bit more in private. The wife is the chef, and she's great...I'd go back, but only when it's busy.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM

32 posts, read 96,260 times
Are you looking for raw specifically or just non-homogenized?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Low and behold I have an old Free Press sitting on my desk and there is an article about this very subject - it gives a couple links:
Applecheek Farm - Applecheek Farm and JDC's Just Delicious Catering in Hyde Park, Vermont
A CAMPAIGN FOR REAL (RAW) MILK!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times
You buy it directly from a dairy farm, that's the reason the law was passed recently in Vermont so dairy farms which many were already selling raw milk "from the barn" could legally sell more. The new law was passed pretty recently so more farms are going to be getting into the program. I know the two farms here the valley that sell it as they were mentioned in an article about the new law in the local paper.

I don't believe it was meant to be sold in stores as that would undermine the whole premise of the localvore's idea of the consumer knowing exactly where the milk came from. I wonder if they sell it at the famers market as both farms have booths there. I work on Sat so I haven't been to the farmers market in years.

If you haven't ever had raw milk from the farm, it's really delicious. I drank plenty of raw when I was a kid but none since then. I assume it expensive and I drink skim milk now....most of the time. If someone were to offer me a cold glass I would drink it in a second.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-16-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM

The first time I had it, I was amazed. I could actually smell/taste hay. Or grass. Or whatever that cow had eaten. It was so cool. And my fiancé, who is actually pretty lactose intolerant, can drink it without any problems. Funny how that works, huh?

I should have thought of Applecheek!! I've bought their eggs....

Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
The first time I had it, I was amazed. I could actually smell/taste hay. Or grass. Or whatever that cow had eaten. It was so cool. And my fiancé, who is actually pretty lactose intolerant, can drink it without any problems. Funny how that works, huh?

I should have thought of Applecheek!! I've bought their eggs....
It is ironic but probably scientifically based which mean I have no clue. I had a friend many years ago and he was LI and he was always eating these pills that turned his teeth black.

It does have a strong flavor so I think it's like maple syrup. Some folks have to develope a taste for it. Since I have drank skim milk for so long I'm sure it would seem like a milk shake to me.

This thread brings back memories when after we did the 4AM milking, one of us would bring back a bucket of the fresh milk to the house for breakfast and it was such better milk than you got from the store. It came out of the barn very cold, not from the cow of course.

That reminds me, since there is orange colored cheese at the store does anyone know where there are cows that produce milk that color? I heard it was cows from Wisconson....

Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Ha ha....I'll have to go check out some Wisconsin cows one day!

I have been drinking skim for at least 20 years, I was actually nervous the first time I tasted raw milk, figured I would hate it. But the flavor was so 'real'...I think I would need some time to get accustomed to drinking it every day though...

According to things I've read, since pasteurization kills both good and bad bacteria, the raw milk contains the good bacteria that helps those who are LI to digest it. I'm sure there could be other reasons too though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont