Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,728 times

Advertisements

I have friends who live there and they quite like it. They have kids but home school them. That's about all I know.

He works in Burlington and takes the but back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 41,154 times
OK, I just read another thread that showed city-data crime statistics way up. This thread was a couple years old, so I guess the crime statistics available for when these people were posting were older. My husband and I are considering moving back to St. Albans from Williamsburg, VA. Anyone who knows both places and can tell me about how a couple of IT professionals (yes, we'd work in Burlington) could make it happen, or do we want to?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times
Just curious, why would you want to move from Williamsburg? From what I understand, it is a desirable place to live. Could you share your opinion? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 AM

Hi looking4home, hubby and I attended my daughter's wedding in Lowell on the 11th. Having lived in St. Albans briefly about nine years ago, we drove through again while we were up there, and of course fell in love with it all over again.

Since we are basically in temp jobs right now, we figured we could look for jobs up there and get done with this government contracting stuff. We have family connections to Vermont and of course it's beautiful. But when we lived there before, we were only renting, and recently (after my previous post here) after finding out the VT real estate tax rate, figured we'd better stay in our own state.

Williamsburg IS lovely, but as I'll be retiring in about eight years, we thought it might be better to relocate to find just as lovely - but cheaper - housing. And, SWVA has mountains which we love, but a more temperate climate than VT.

Someone on another post complained after checking out Hampton Roads to relocate to (I think VA Bch) from Roanoke that all they could get here for $200,000 was a house "in the ghetto". That's being sort of dramatic, but I will vouch for there being higher housing prices here for something decent. (For those of you who don't know, Williamsburg and James City County are at the *geographic* top end of the Hampton Roads communities, that's why I know about what that person was talking about.)

Also, a lot of people on these forums seem to be sort of left-of-center, so maybe y'all would get it when I say we would feel more at home in SWVA than in VT because we are definitely conservative.

So. With that said, seanpecor, I bet you read these VT posts, whaddya think?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:26 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
Sounds like you are better off in VA. VT is built for visiting, just one giant nature park. pay your admission and enjoy just don't stay after closing time.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Back in August I was able to spend a few days in Virginia and found certain areas, especially in the I81 corridor region, to be very nice. There were many things that appeared like Vt, yet again, there were some obvious differences too. It's all a moot point now anyway as with what is going on with the economy I will have to stay put for longer than planned. As long as I can keep my job we will be able to tread water here in Vt and take advantage of the outdoor activities I enjoy as time permits. The only downside is that at present it is absolutely impossible to save anything for the future, so when the time comes to make the move many plans and dreams will have to be seriously changed and downsized. There are millions and millions of folks facing the same dilemma and times will get much tougher here in Vt also. For those that really have their heart set on coming here, that's great, just make sure you really have a solid grasp and eyes wide open realistic assessment on the financial aspects, but this goes for moving anywhere right now, even the "cheap" areas.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah, exactly. We have a great house and can keep it for several years in the future, but we also need to be later able to afford the upkeep (let alone the mortgage!) and still have enough money to play, ya know? having lived in Hawaii also, I know about the "pay your admission and enjoy just don't stay after closing time" frame of mind...

Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 67,539 times
Default Move to St Albans

St Albans is an old railroad town. There is still a railroad there and Amtrak passes through twice a day I think...between Montreal and New York city.
It is the Maple Syrup "capitol" of Vt. Great Festival there in April, with food games for kids and great music that evening!
There are a lot of great people in St. Albans and the surrounding small rural towns, with artists, musicians, farmers teachers and neighbors in the mix.
There are several organic farms in bakersfield and Fairfield that offer good meat and dairy products.
I do not know about the St Albans school but there are other alternative schools as well.
Hope this helps!
Skidway 1944

Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 20,606 times
i see st.albans has gone down hill ,it used to be a beautiful city

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 20,606 times
st. albans used to be a nice laid back town, with the railroad going through it and all.mostley older people there then..i see it went to hell the last 20 yrs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont