Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times

Advertisements

Lawyers must be happy, will just be a matter of time till the Divorce courts get more business. They wanted equal rights well enjoy the bad side of Marriage also.
And I know THAT will be top billing of the news every night then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM

159 posts, read 405,182 times
I'm still wondering how gay marriage is going to produce revenue for the state. Are they going to rename Camels Hump Brokeback Mountain, build a resort on top and have gay marriages there complete with Elvis impersonators and charge big money? I remember reading not long ago about two lesbians who had a civil union in Vermont, had a daughter and then seperated and one took the daughter to Virginia and the case has been in the courts for years. Maybe thats the income they're talking about, lawyers bills once the gays start getting divorces. I think the next elections for state representatives is going to be very interesting, while Rome burns the legislature plays their fiddles.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
I'm still wondering how gay marriage is going to produce revenue for the state.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/14047416/Economic-Impact-of-Allowing-SameSex-Marriage-in-Vermont

Old 04-08-2009, 06:18 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Homosexual marriage won't bring jobs or significant income to the state. Employers don't move to a state for that sort of reason, but for reasons of being profitable. VT is driving employers out and the legislature is still asleep at the wheel.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
That study predicts 63.8 Million in the first three years for CA. Based on 51,000 same sex CA couples and 67,000 out of state couples getting hitched. Mind you those 51,000 locals are out of a population of over 36 million people. I don't think VT's 600,000 people is going to produce any measurable wealth for VT. Marriage tourism will account for a few more but gay marriage is already available elsewhere in the Northeast. I'd say predictions of wealth generation from gay marriage are bit overblown.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM

159 posts, read 405,182 times
If you do the math based on the differences in population between VT and CA it says Vermont will see $1.06 million over the next three years. That won't pay for the food bill from this years legislative session, lets legalize marijuana and make some big bucks. And how about poligamy while we're at it, that should bring a few of those cults into the state like Texas has.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Lawyers must be happy, will just be a matter of time till the Divorce courts get more business. They wanted equal rights well enjoy the bad side of Marriage also.
And I know THAT will be top billing of the news every night then.
There are numerous Senators and public Reps that are Lawyers, not to mention other public officials that have occupations that will benefit (Justice of the Peace, Realtors, etc.)

Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
One major difference Sheryl. These are public officials elected by all the people in the State of Vt, not just the gay society. We trusted them to have the common sense to work on the topics that are affecting the majority of VTers, not the minority. This issue should not have been on the top of the Legislatures "to-do" list. No one wants to deny anyone equal rights, but could it have waited until other more critical issues that affect a major portion of VTers was put to rest...I think so. I'm not losing sleep over it, just my opinion.
A reality concerning the legislative vote on this issue is that it was a third rail issue and even for those legislators who represent districts were the popular vote would have gone against GM it would still have been political suicide to vote your conscience and belief. I think both sides on this matter are glad that it's over so hopefully we can now press on and perhaps both sides can capitalize on the benefits.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Homosexual marriage won't bring jobs or significant income to the state. Employers don't move to a state for that sort of reason, but for reasons of being profitable. VT is driving employers out and the legislature is still asleep at the wheel.
They need to learn how to balance business with nature. Green businesses would benefit and thrive in Vermont.

Wake up law makers.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Agree, the passage of GM will not in itself create a climate for job creation and an increase in business as a whole. The major hope would be from those who already have assets who would choose to relocate here and merely add some muscle to the tax base. We have relied on such an arrangement in the past and considering the current economic state this may be the primary tool to keep Vermont from going under fiscally, though I think this is bad policy and not sustainable, but it's all we have right now. The probable reality is that the euphoria will wane and many who had the initial impulse to pack their bags and move here will at best just visit. Nonetheless, I hope the interest sparked will sustain our equity values and that it will generate some sort of inmigration. We should continue to downplay the cost of living and taxes to the tune of you pay for the quality of life, after all this is what we have been told up to now. The legislature's budget increase for FY 2010 is +6.7% and we still face a $230 to $240 million shortfall, part of which will be absorbed by the very temporary stimulus infusion. I personally know nobody who got or is expecting any wage increase even close to 6.7%. On the contrary, most have seen freezes or realized losses from cost increases and cutbacks in hours. In any case it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont