Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Why should I pay for others special ed, when they aren't contributing to gifted programs for my kid? Who is going to provide more value to society? Being wealthy and paying more in taxes is providing more to everyone else.
As to folks posting here, well it's the giant wasteland of internet opinion enter at your own risk. Besides there are only three basic types: 1. Defenders of VT, regardless of any negative factors; 2. VTers that are contemplating escape; 3. Folks wondering if they should move to VT.
I suppose I should quit posting here as I successfully escaped, although I still own a house in VT, more reason to stop posting. Hey interweb Vermont is great move on up and buy houses.
MUSTMOVE: What state did you escape to and are you happy with your move?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
ok, lets take it alittle easy on this person. First off no one asked to have a disability. It was not a choice like a druggie, or junkie who gets aids. I feel compassion for you and hope your child does well in life. If we cant as a society care and help the weak, needy and feeble we are in a terrible state. I honestly dont like taxes but I have no problem helping the weak and disabled. I do have a problem with shabina and shabba who eat ho ho all day and watch springer, they get the good old help!!! Come people she has it rough enough, lets hope her child can learn to become independent with all the education. Good luck. By the way, I have NO children so you cant say that I am biased. Rather it go to help the disabled than the druggies, alcoholics, and lazy fat hill billies.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Ellwood I'm in MA. I'm happy here. There are far more opportunities. Still a bunch of left politics that I don't agree with, but whatever. Schools are outstanding, taxes could be lower but aren't too bad. Current leadership is threatening to drive us off the tax cliff we'll see how that works out. What Montpelier fails to realize is you can have all those juicy social programs if you allow business to exist. MA is currently 25 or so in tax burden, could be better-could be a lot worse. And if I get a VT craving I can drive through anytime on my way to the Adirondacks.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ok, lets take it alittle easy on this person. First off no one asked to have a disability. It was not a choice like a druggie, or junkie who gets aids. I feel compassion for you and hope your child does well in life. If we cant as a society care and help the weak, needy and feeble we are in a terrible state. I honestly dont like taxes but I have no problem helping the weak and disabled. I do have a problem with shabina and shabba who eat ho ho all day and watch springer, they get the good old help!!! Come people she has it rough enough, lets hope her child can learn to become independent with all the education. Good luck. By the way, I have NO children so you cant say that I am biased. Rather it go to help the disabled than the druggies, alcoholics, and lazy fat hill billies.
I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't provide for the disabled. But VT's method is expensive and not necessarily the best for the disabled child or the rest of the children. VT assigns a personal assistant to disabled kids then runs the kids through regular classes. The personal assistants have no teacher training and often no college. Despite VT being number one in per student sending in the country there is only a handful(if any?) gifted programs. There certainly isn't the quantity of AP classes that other states have.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Ellwood I'm in MA. I'm happy here. There are far more opportunities. Still a bunch of left politics that I don't agree with, but whatever. Schools are outstanding, taxes could be lower but aren't too bad. Current leadership is threatening to drive us off the tax cliff we'll see how that works out. What Montpelier fails to realize is you can have all those juicy social programs if you allow business to exist. MA is currently 25 or so in tax burden, could be better-could be a lot worse. And if I get a VT craving I can drive through anytime on my way to the Adirondacks.
We live in upstate NY (previously NJ, ID, FL, Italy) and family is in southern VT. Interestingly SPED teacher, with a Masters who gave up teaching in VT because of the administrations disregard for special needs kids and benefits due them.
I think every state has positive and negatives, it's just a matter of finding what's important to you. Sadly, the VTers have to shop in NY, due to the lack of business in VT. Good luck in your new state.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't provide for the disabled. But VT's method is expensive and not necessarily the best for the disabled child or the rest of the children. VT assigns a personal assistant to disabled kids then runs the kids through regular classes. The personal assistants have no teacher training and often no college. Despite VT being number one in per student sending in the country there is only a handful(if any?) gifted programs. There certainly isn't the quantity of AP classes that other states have.
thanks for clearing that up!!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM

20 posts, read 71,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
Skipto. Your lack of argument speaks for itself.

Mustmove... your lack of knowledge on this particular subject is... once again... laughable. Go look up gifted. See how many times the words autism are mentioned. In fact, the only example that Wikipedia offers (and yes, I know how debatable Wikipedia is as a source) is Einstein, who likely was on the spectrum.

So, anyone want to tell me why they love to spend time in the Vermont forum bashing a state they no longer live in?
There isn't anything to argue.

You feel your child is better than everyone else's, which you are wrong about.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
I'm curious about something...
So many complain about the property taxes here (yeah, I know how high they are, we own our house) and are complaining about how it all goes to education.
Vermont is one of the best states (if not THE best state) for raising autistic children. I suspect it's one of the reasons our education costs keep rising (special needs programs are very expensive). Yet people with special ed kids keep moving to the state.
Do you good folks believe we should abandon those kids so you can have lower property taxes?

And why so many posting here that left Vermont with no warm and fuzzy feelings towards it but feel the need to post in the Vermont forum... you left. What? Do you miss it? Why are you still here?
If somebody doesn't have an autistic child (or has zero children) why on earth would I be super excited that VT pays so much for autistic children. I don't understand????

Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM

186 posts, read 449,033 times
After reading your militant posts, fourwands, it is much easier for me to see why my sister and her husband left VT after only two years. If everyone in the state is so unreasonable as you, then I can see why they felt compelled to sell their home and leave. I suppose you started this thread for the sole sake of arguing and trying to make yourself feel better.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
If somebody doesn't have an autistic child (or has zero children) why on earth would I be super excited that VT pays so much for autistic children. I don't understand????
well as for myself with no kids, I did social work for years and worked with autistic children. I dont even live in VT, but nice to see the money being used to HELP people who truely need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont