Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 PM

275 posts, read 1,288,938 times

Advertisements

So I found out today the position I am applying for can be located from anywhere within the state of VT. I have largely focused on Burlington/S.Burlington till now. What other areas in VT have good schools and lesser rents? Maybe on the outskirts of town, but not too far away from a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
The Burlington area is the state's only "urban" area - I use the term lightly, but it is the state's financial & retail hub. The rest of the state is rural.
So..I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to be close to culture, shopping, airport etc?
Do you want a more rural area where you may have to drive a couple hours just to go to a mall or an airport?
The Northeast Kingdom has lower housing costs....but...the area is fairly economically depressed. Lyndonville & St.Johnsbury have top notch high schools. The area is beautiful with lots of outdoor activities abound. I personally find it a bit isolating. If it wasnt for that, I'd move back there.
Another area to check out is the White River Junction/Lebanon NH area.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 458,444 times
Yes, rent is cheaper the further away from "town" you go, but as the pp asked, what are you looking for, or what can you do without, is more like it. Essex Town, Underhill, Jericho all have good schools, as does Essex Junction, but it's expensive. Let us know what you're looking for and we can help steer you in the right direction.

On a side note, I grew up in the Upper Valley (around White River, Norwich, Lebanon, NH) and there is not a whole lot to do for kids there. We were contemplating a move down there (back home) and decided against it, as it's really kind of boring. In and around Burlington is the place to be in the state if you don't want to be bored out of your gord. Even still, we're thinking about relocating, as native Vter's we're getting taxed up the wazoo, and are not really "feeling it" as we did growing up here. Some of the Vermont values have gone out the window....and some would argue that that's a big understatement.
Enough ranting...let us know how we can help!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm pretty sure we will rent for the first year. I will sacrifice a 20/30 minute drive to shopping if the rent is alot less. But my son will begin kindergarten next year and a great elementary school is a must.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 PM

122 posts, read 458,444 times
What, if I may ask, are you looking to pay for rent? That alone could narrow down some choices. Most Chittenden county schools are great. Do NOT move to Winooski or Milton for great schools.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
What about the Brattleboro area?

There is lots of stuff to do there, lots of arts and entertainment and lots of outdoor stuff. Downtown is very urban in appearance (buildings very close together), Massachusetts' Pioneer Valley is less than an hour south on I-91 and White River Junction and the Upper Valley area are an hour north. Bennington is an hour west. As for cities, Keene, NH, is about 30 minutes away, Boston is 2 1/2 hours away, Burlington is, I think, about 2-3 hours away, and New York is about 4-5 hours away, depending on where in the city you want to go.

Brattleboro is a large, cosmopolitan town, surrounded by rural areas, and near other culturally rich towns. There are neighborhoods that are urban, surburban and even rural. There is lots of interesting architecture, including Victorian mansions. There are people there from all over the world, often students at the School for International Training. Food is great. Great Food Co-op (I love it), great Farmers' Market (I haven't been there, but I've heard), some nice restaurants. A train stops downtown, between Essex Junction and New York City. There is actually some local public transportation, but I don't know how extensive it is. There appears to be a genuine sense of community. There is a large bohemian and counter-culture presence, which sometimes feels like a throwback to the 60's. The place is a regional hub. It is a small town with a lot of urban amenities. You can shop tax-free across the river, in New Hampshire, although I have read that Vermont will tax you on major purchases, such as a car. The climate is not as harsh as it is further north, although it does get cold. The area is considered safe. Almost everyone I have spoken to there loves the area.

On the negative side, a lot of buildings and even some streets in Brattleboro are run down and dreary-looking. Industrial areas are ugly. Real estate is more expensive than in the surrounding villages. People are generally courteous, but with a New England reserve that, to some, can be uncomfortable to deal with. Prices at the Food Co-op are very high, but so is organic/natural food anywhere. The terrain is hilly and can be annoying, difficult or even scary (drops, steep hills in back yards, on the Commons, etc.). The area is pretty, but without much of the breathtaking beauty of the Upper Valley and some other Vermont areas. People complain a lot about the Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant. The roads reportedly get congested with tourists during "leaf peeping" and skiing seasons. I have seen Main Street congested with cars and trucks. Local bagels taste funny.

Politics are very liberal, very much to the left. Again, sometimes I feel like I have been transported back to the 60's.

I don't know anything about jobs outside of my field.

I don't know anything about Bratleboro's surrounding villages.

I don't know anything about the quality of the schools, but I think one or more threads on this forum have addressed that.

Rents that I have seen start at about $675, but expect to pay around $800, give or take. There are few apartment houses. Most apartments are in converted private homes.

People on this forum often complain bitterly about the low pay and the high cost of living in Vermont, including in Burlington.

Right now I am seriously thinking of moving up to Brattleboro, from Brooklyn, NY. It's a struggle to get up the nerve and take the plunge. It's a risk, of course, but I am taking steps to manage the risk, e.g. researching (including using this forum!), visiting, making contacts, reading the online local paper and community journalism websites and talking to locals when I am there.

Some of the Burlington people have said, in effect, forget about Brattleboro and move to Burlington.

I was planning to go up to Brattleboro today, in fact, but I think I'll be going up tomorrow morning.

Last edited by arel; 04-02-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM

1600 max, which is a very, very nice home where I live now, not so much around Burlington! lol

Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Ok so here is a list of towns I have been recommended for the VT area. I welcome all feedback on each town. (both positive and negative) Thanks guys!
Middlebury
White River Junction
Williston
St. Johnsberry?
Brattleboro

Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
From the sounds of it, you want to be near Chittenden County. That will put you within your time limits for decent shopping, airport, culture etc.
Here are the towns I would look into:
Middlebury - about an hour from Burlington and 1/2 to Rutland. Great small college town with good schools.
Vergennes - a cute small town that has gone through a renassaince over the past 10 or so years. Nice downtown with good restaurants and a small theater.
Williston - Suburban. Good schools. Home to the big boxes.
South Burlington - Suburban. Good Schools. Home to the Umall & Airport.
Colchester - Suburban. Good schools.
St. Albans - A nice small "city". About 1/2 hour to Burlington and 1 hour to Montreal.
Richmond - Smaller, "ex-urb". Sorta suburban, but not really. 20 minutes to Burlington.
Hinesburg - great small town. Good schools. 20 minutes to Burlington.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 AM

It looks like Williston will be getting a longer look.......thanks so much for your info, I can work with this helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont