Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 AM

98 posts, read 341,808 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3 cats and I are relocating to the US in jan 2007.
We have been living in France (Europe) since 2003.
We came to France to take care of my dying grand-mother.
Before that we were living in Shenandoah, Va.
We are looking at a number of places to go back to and we would appreciate any feedbacks.

My Husband is American and has 15 years working experience in the field of printing. I guess is work area is production/manufacturing.
I am French/American. I have a B.S degree in Family Studies.
I have always been a jack of all trades. I have worked as a bookkeeper, debt collector, financial counselor, tax preparer, personal assistant, sales clerck, housecleaner, babysitter......

I am looking for a place that would have a diversified economy, job growth, tolerance towards different race, nationality and religion.
Also low cost housing: we will be looking for a house under 200K.

Any feedbacks would be appreciate...
If you can think of any towns that would fit my requirements tell me about it.
Thank you in advance
Johnnybandfreak

Last edited by johnnnybandfreak; 07-06-2006 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Default Burlington

The Burlington area would fill your needs except for one major biggie - your housing cost limit. $200K won't get you much here....maybe an older, small condo. $250K you could get a nice small ranch or cape in greater Burlington (South Burlington, Essex, Colchester), or a nice house with land outside of Burlington (30 minute commute or so). St. Albans to the north would be a good place to look as well as the Barre/Montpelier area.
Burlington is Vermont's largest "city" and has the most opportunity for jobs. Most jobs are not all that high paying....most people who live here are here for the quality of life...not the paycheck!
Burlington is home to a couple colleges including the University ofVermont. We have decent shopping, a good airport, and are 1.5 hrs from Montreal.
Burlington is liberal - moreso than the rest of the state...you know what they say about Burlington...people love it so much because it's so close to Vermont LOL! People are very excepting here regardless of race, lifestyle, etc.
The other area of Vermont too look at would be the Upper Valley - the White River Junction/Lebanon, NH area. This area is home to Dartmouth College and has a large hospital. Not sure what the housing market is like there.
Check out the local papers and news outlets....www.burlingtonfreepress.com www.sevendaysvt.com or www.wcax.com for the Burlington area.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Vermont

Thanks for the info.
I still do not know how people live in Vermont.
The cost of living is high.
But it is a beautiful state.
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-31-2006, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 16,398 times
Default Is Vt right for you?

Most Vermonters have several jobs- carpentry in summer, ski resort in winter. Many are self-employed- graphics artists, website design, artists, musicians.

We returned from living in France in 99 & ended up in Bellows Falls, village of 3500.

Don't move to Vermont if you enjoy shopping malls, Wal-Marts, etc. Many independent small retail shops under threat of suburbanization.

Burlington is the only urban area- much like anywhere else. Rest of Vermont rural & small towns.

I own bookstore in BF.

Pat

Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Bookstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbooks
Most Vermonters have several jobs- carpentry in summer, ski resort in winter. Many are self-employed- graphics artists, website design, artists, musicians.

We returned from living in France in 99 & ended up in Bellows Falls, village of 3500.

Don't move to Vermont if you enjoy shopping malls, Wal-Marts, etc. Many independent small retail shops under threat of suburbanization.

Burlington is the only urban area- much like anywhere else. Rest of Vermont rural & small towns.

I own bookstore in BF.

Pat
Eh that is cool having a bookstore.
And I am not a big fan of mall.
I like the small stores.
johnnybandfreak

Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 PM

131 posts, read 188,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnybandfreak
My husband, 3 cats and I are relocating to the US in jan 2007.
We have been living in France (Europe) since 2003.
We came to France to take care of my dying grand-mother.
Before that we were living in Shenandoah, Va.
We are looking at a number of places to go back to and we would appreciate any feedbacks.

My Husband is American and has 15 years working experience in the field of printing. I guess is work area is production/manufacturing.
I am French/American. I have a B.S degree in Family Studies.
I have always been a jack of all trades. I have worked as a bookkeeper, debt collector, financial counselor, tax preparer, personal assistant, sales clerck, housecleaner, babysitter......

I am looking for a place that would have a diversified economy, job growth, tolerance towards different race, nationality and religion.
Also low cost housing: we will be looking for a house under 200K.

Any feedbacks would be appreciate...
If you can think of any towns that would fit my requirements tell me about it.
Thank you in advance
Johnnybandfreak
White River Junction is nice.It shares something in comman with france.French Alps has the Appalachian Trail and so does the
US Appalachian Trail pass just north of White River Junction.My name is Trail Majic spelled with a j in magic to be silly but I love hiking the Appalachian Trail
He could work there or around the Dartmouth College area of Hanover NH
just across the river.I even have a hiker forum.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Thanks for the info

thank you all for the feedbacks.
johnnybandfreak

Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 AM

74 posts, read 367,117 times
You are getting good information. When we lived in Springfield, it was a growing community in Southern Vermont and I think it still is. Make no mistake -no matter what - Vermont has grown and will continue to do so. I seem to remember a community, sort of funky, small, called Bellows Falls. It had some charming little stores and restaurants - you might try and check that out. I know Springfield was definitely trying to attract businesses and to grow. It was quite nice. It was a town but not the bustling busy place Burlington seemed to be. Don't worry - Vermont isn't just rich people. We were Texans and got along very well there - loved it and a number of Vermonters we still correspond with yearly.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,677 times
You might also take a look a the "Northshire," northern Bennington county. Manchester and Dorset are expensive, sophisticated communities, but do offer diverse cultural and employment opportunities, while affordable housing can be found withing reasonable driving range.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,783 times
So is a realistic price range for a 3 bredroom home in Burlington in a nice area of town? For artists and musicians, do they make decent money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont