Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 AM

258 posts, read 325,602 times

Advertisements

I'm renting a house on Lake Champlain with a dock and a row boat and I wanted to do some fishing. Any ideas on what bait I should use, what size rod to bring and what I should target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,055 times
Default Lake Champlain Fishing

It would depend where on the lake your place is. If you want to provide a few more particulars, I could make some recommendations.

Sincerely,
James

Last edited by vter; 06-09-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Actually Point Au Fer New York which is 25 minutes North of Plattsburgh on the Lake, any advice appreciated.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I would suggest calling a local outdoor goods store in the Plattsburgh area. I don't know of any, but I bet if you use google you could find some.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Hope you don't encounter too many of these suckers, no pun intended. Both the Vermont and NY state fishery agencies have thrown alot of money and poison to try to rid Lake Champlain of the Lamphrey but their population has only increased.
Google

Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
A couple of quick thoughts - a look at a map shows there is a little bay there, so you might find pike, perch, lake trout, and maybe bass. It has been AGES since I fished the lake, so take that with a grain of salt. You have two states so be sure to understand the fishing regulations of BOTH of them and buy the licenses you need.

Even more importantly - the lake can turn treacherous quickly and a rowboat shouldn't be taken out of the immediate area, and you absolutely need a good anchor and sufficient rope to hold it in place in case a sudden wind wants to take you midlake. A danforth is much better than the usual anchor. In addition to the required life vest, a cheapo inflatable pool lounger could be a life saver if the rowboat sinks. The lake is COLD, especially in windy weather, and you want to be out of the water to avoid hypothermia.

The only way I would go out on the lake in a rowboat is if I knew the weather forecast would be good, and I had the above mentioned items. I've been on the lake in a larger powerboat where I was uncomfortable because of the wind and chop.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Hope you don't encounter too many of these suckers, no pun intended. Both the Vermont and NY state fishery agencies have thrown alot of money and poison to try to rid Lake Champlain of the Lamphrey but their population has only increased.
Google
I could have gone all day without seeing that last picture.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Do those Lamphreys attach to humans, should I not swim in the lake even with a wetsuit?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM

160 posts, read 564,802 times
Default No vampires in the lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Do those Lamphreys attach to humans, should I not swim in the lake even with a wetsuit?
I think you're OK, according to this--http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/superior/ll/05-06-15_lamprey:
"...Whenever Sea Grant staff give public programs about lamprey, the question always comes up: will lamprey attack people? Doug Jensen responds. “There's really no risk of sea lamprey attacking humans. The risk would almost be negligible for a sea lamprey to encounter a person and then for that sea lamprey to actually attach to someone that's out there swimming in Lake Superior.”
“Through the evolutionary process, sea lamprey have evolved to search for cold-blooded fish, not necessarily warm-blooded humans.”
There you have it. Don't worry..."
Also, call Gander Mountain at the Champlain Centre mall for bait advice. They'll know.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
“There's really no risk of sea lamprey attacking humans.
That's good. I always pictured lampreys behaving like the Shrieking Eels in "The Princess Bride."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont