Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
One thing to note is that the unemployment rate in VT is pretty low. Its about half of CT.

So maybe the wages aren't great but most people are employed which is good.

Google - public data

Ya, most have three jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM

413 posts, read 1,590,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
Ya, most have three jobs!
And work for the state.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM

31 posts, read 47,858 times
Default Depresses me...

I guess I will say this after moving away from Vermont...WHY must the COL be so much higher and the jobs not paying enough to make up for this difference. I guess one must decide what they truly desire out of their life and just go for it. Vermont IS beautiful, actually the most beautiful place I have ever seen other than England...guess that is why it is called New England.

Anyway, I guess making more money and venting in my earlier post is just not enough because I have been back in Indiana for a few weeks now, but I can tell you this...my heart is still up in Vermont regardless of all of the disadvantages. I will be going back once my lease is up here! Call me insane, but I cannot lie to myself any longer.

I believe one needs to come here and experience things for themselves and then figure it out for themselves. Do not let myself or anyone else mess with your mind...maybe, don't even read any of this stuff on here. ~Peace~

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelLA67 View Post
I guess I will say this after moving away from Vermont...WHY must the COL be so much higher and the jobs not paying enough to make up for this difference. I guess one must decide what they truly desire out of their life and just go for it. Vermont IS beautiful, actually the most beautiful place I have ever seen other than England...guess that is why it is called New England.

Anyway, I guess making more money and venting in my earlier post is just not enough because I have been back in Indiana for a few weeks now, but I can tell you this...my heart is still up in Vermont regardless of all of the disadvantages. I will be going back once my lease is up here! Call me insane, but I cannot lie to myself any longer.

I believe one needs to come here and experience things for themselves and then figure it out for themselves. Do not let myself or anyone else mess with your mind...maybe, don't even read any of this stuff on here. ~Peace~
You are in Indiana? That explains everything. Anywhere is prettier than Indiana. At least you will truly deserve the label of flatlander.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You are in Indiana? That explains everything. Anywhere is prettier than Indiana. At least you will truly deserve the label of flatlander.
Yea, I am unfortunately in Indiana, but not originally from here. I am a Jersey girl originally. How I initially ended up in this state over a decade ago is a long story, but it does suck here! There are more better paying jobs, but not better quality of life overall.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 AM

216 posts, read 565,507 times
I am blown away at the research I've done about VT. We are originally from CT before moving to Florida, and without a doubt, will be returning to New England. I have researched every state and VT is far and away the most expensive. Not to mention the pay for our professions is terrible. Worse than a low paying state like Florida. True VT is beautiful but it leaves me scratching my head. A descent house, in a quite rural VT town, with a few acres, is going for $300k!! To me, those are CT prices! Factor in $6000 in taxes a year, it's crazy to me. Last I checked, there were no brand new community centers, new roads, public transportation, to pay for. I really just don't get it. I know schools are very good, but it still doesn't justify what your being charged. I'm not political but from what I've seen and read, VT looks to be an Exclusive Liberal Country Club. Why else is it so expensive?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,543 times
Quote:
It is a beautiful place, but I'm not sure I would say England is more beautiful. My vote for the best natural beauty would be the Scottish Highlands or the Alps. I would even let someone choose the country to be fair.

Back on topic, the reason taxes and cost of living are so high is very simple. Incomes have not come close to keeping up with the COL. Number two, voters need to think with fiscal responsibility. We all know our town and state government doesn't always think about what is fiscally responsible. Look at the small NEK town of Victory (population less than 100), taxes will double this year. Tiny Vt. town said to have highest tax increase | Valley News This is because voters vote on what they think are good things to have (a new town clerk's office and a community meeting room. Along with the ever growing education budgets). I guess people don't always realize they are the ones who will pay for all that is passed on voting day. I love the way our towns try to convince us passing what they want won't cost much. "The education budget will only cost the average resident between $100-200 on their tax bill." Well in 5 years that quickly ads up to at least $500-1000, because the amount never decreases from year to year (if it stays the same). Because of our population size we have to realize we can't have everything.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM

I bet those are beautiful places as well. I have just, unfortunately, not been there, but would love to go someday. However, in the U.S. so far, I have never seen such natural beauty that put me in awe. Especially driving up and down Rt. 7 into Weston, and I am kicking myself in the arse because I am going to miss the fall season, which I have longed to see for so long. But, I am heading back next year with a slightly different plan and definitely better attitude. At least now I know what to expect. I still have not changed the plates on my vehicle to keep some sort of attachment to VT and to not lose my mind. I have even had people ask me "what is a New Englander doing in these parts." lol. Also, had a guy in downtown Indy this morning give me a "thumbs up" looking at my Vermont plates. Anyway, I miss VT, I truly do, but I think, for some strange reason, I was supposed to come back to Indiana to really make me realize that. I think I am supposed to be in VT and that is that. It must be my Northern roots coming back to me. Where there is a will, there is a way, they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
It is a beautiful place, but I'm not sure I would say England is more beautiful. My vote for the best natural beauty would be the Scottish Highlands or the Alps. I would even let someone choose the country to be fair.

Back on topic, the reason taxes and cost of living are so high is very simple. Incomes have not come close to keeping up with the COL. Number two, voters need to think with fiscal responsibility. We all know our town and state government doesn't always think about what is fiscally responsible. Look at the small NEK town of Victory (population less than 100), taxes will double this year. Tiny Vt. town said to have highest tax increase | Valley News This is because voters vote on what they think are good things to have (a new town clerk's office and a community meeting room. Along with the ever growing education budgets). I guess people don't always realize they are the ones who will pay for all that is passed on voting day. I love the way our towns try to convince us passing what they want won't cost much. "The education budget will only cost the average resident between $100-200 on their tax bill." Well in 5 years that quickly ads up to at least $500-1000, because the amount never decreases from year to year (if it stays the same). Because of our population size we have to realize we can't have everything.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,877,473 times
Where are you looking? 300k and 6k taxes is going to be more than "decent" in most parts of VT.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM

613 posts, read 946,719 times
Quote:
I bet those are beautiful places as well. I have just, unfortunately, not been there, but would love to go someday. However, in the U.S. so far, I have never seen such natural beauty that put me in awe. Especially driving up and down Rt. 7 into Weston, and I am kicking myself in the arse because I am going to miss the fall season, which I have longed to see for so long. But, I am heading back next year with a slightly different plan and definitely better attitude. At least now I know what to expect. I still have not changed the plates on my vehicle to keep some sort of attachment to VT and to not lose my mind. I have even had people ask me "what is a New Englander doing in these parts." lol. Also, had a guy in downtown Indy this morning give me a "thumbs up" looking at my Vermont plates. Anyway, I miss VT, I truly do, but I think, for some strange reason, I was supposed to come back to Indiana to really make me realize that. I think I am supposed to be in VT and that is that. It must be my Northern roots coming back to me. Where there is a will, there is a way, they say.
As someone who knows both states very well (VT only as a tourist, but I've been there a lot, & loved it), I can commiserate. You want low COL? Move to indiana. You may likely die from boredom, however. Want to live in the middle of a giant flat cornfield in order to get cheap housing? It is an option tho, there are worst places (or so I've heard).

I live in E. Mass. Housing costs are crazy, & going higher. In my expensive town, taxes on my "tear down" (aka, "dump") are $6800/year. I could move (back to) Indiana, & buy a very nice house, even in "Indy", for way less than I could get for my dump here in Mass. I think I'd go crazy tho......

I'm just here b/c I'm one of those people who has thought for years about moving to VT. And yeah, it's expensive, with high property taxes, but that may not faze people from even more expensive parts of the Northeast. Just my 2cents, hope you make it back to VT if that's what you want.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont