Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM

29 posts, read 144,866 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a non-smoking young male with 2 labs looking to move up north. I am looking to move to Burlington most likely because of the population even though I would like the peace and quiet of somewhere more secluded. I love snowboarding and the outdoors(dogs do too). I drink rarely but I like to go out still. Looking to move near some resorts and places with alot of potential growth. I currently own an indoor skatepark, skateboard and hardware company, and work 9-5 also. I am aware of the current skateparks up there. I will need an apartment or single house and I have been searching for jobs in the above areas. If you can help, please do! I would love to get involved with a current entrepreneur up there or maybe do my own thing when I get established. I am looking into Pizza shop/Rest or Bar/Rest. I can definitely bring REAL PIZZA to the north. I have access to multiple recipes of well known shops. I may also head back to school (accountant) depending on circumstances when I get there. Well thats a brief plan. So hit me with the negatives and positives of VT.

-Anyone have a apt/house that allows dogs for rent?
-Anyone hiring or know any places that are hiring?
-Where is the best place in VT to move in you are young and single?
-Why should I move north or why shouldnt I?

Moderator cut: we highly discourage the posting of personal e-mail addresses-see terms of service

Last edited by vter; 03-31-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:08 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Drive up on weekends to snowboard keep your current life intact.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Just read some of the threads and you will see the pluses and minuses of living in VT.

I'm from NY originally and the pizza here is not half bad (not Pizza Hut but 'local places). I was surprised considering the low amount of Italians but I heard our local guy is Greek.

I normally make my own once a week as it is healthier and much cheaper. Eating out here is expensive. Even a simple pizza costs about $13-$14. I can make a lot more for less $$.

Good luck on that job thing. Hope you have a lot of patience there.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:50 PM

167 posts, read 354,250 times
Real pizza now we're talking. I don't know about Burlington but I hit a shop in Rutland two years ago and had one of the best pies I ever ate. Right there with NY pizza.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM

118 posts, read 284,965 times
Sarge1, before addressing any of your other question I think we need to understand what you mean by "alot of potential growth". The states population is nearly stagnant and there's a long term trend of young people leaving. Vermont has an old population that's getting older by the day. There are a lot of reasons why people come to Vermont but Growth Potential generally is not one of them.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Growth there ain't in Vermont. For years, Vermont's biggest export has been its young people...

You might be able to run a pizza business here but we do have a lot already. Some of the pizza places here beat anything I've eaten when I've been to NYC. Though I'm not big on eating out (or cities), to be honest. Running a business will be expensive in this state.

Jobs? People here make "careers" out of retail jobs at big box stores and convenience stores...and there's still more people than jobs, I wouldn't count on anything...about the only jobs I know of where people from this state aren't lining up for them (but foreigners are BTW), are farmhand type jobs...with long, hard hours, low pay...

If you move here, I'm not so sure going back to college/getting in debt would be worth it. You'll still likely get $10 an hour unless you land a government job or one of the few better paying private jobs.

You may have better luck in Southern NH to be honest.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
One place in VT that keeps expanding is Jay Peak. CEO Bill Stenger possesses one of those can-do attitudes and the mountain has really taken off as a 4 season resort. It's located in the Northeast Kingdom right by the Canadian border and Lake Memphremagog. You want secluded - this would surpass most peoples' expectations. In the past few years they have added an 18 hole golf course, a new hotel and a hockey arena. Couldn't hurt to give em a call...

Jay Peak Resort

Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
The ski areas are going to bleed $$$ from the health insurance fines for not providing for their seasonal employees. I'd watch that one shake out before entering into any new business relationships with them.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I see season jobs are also a big thing here.
I've been watching the job market since moving and the jobs are cyclical. I see the same jobs often re-advertised every 3-6 months in my area.

So they hire someone who lasts 3-6 months then fire them or they quit.

I've noticed a lot more out of state people out of work here in my apt complex. (I can tell by their license plates). There is a big bias against out of state workers (my husband denies this but I have experienced it personally). They like to hire their own first unless you know someone.

Maybe a 'big' city like Burlington is different.

Positives...well, you can find a lot of land to run your dogs on. Your dogs will like snow. Mine does. Then again, you will also meet a lot of ignorant dog owners who believe their Fang is well trained and should run free and so what if he and his mates rush your dog and intimidate it? I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES this has happened to my dog and how she is very skittish of other dogs (despite training) thanks to stupid owners.

Yes, that can happen anywhere but in rural places people seem to think they are entitled to live 'above the rules' of civility.

Some people here (in my area) tend towards staring A LOT. We never noticed it before but lately it's become very common. And since the recession there is a lot less 'hi, how you doing' waving...

Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 AM

118 posts, read 284,965 times
Gypsy's comment captures the essence of life in Vermont these days. Even if you Live in the middle of nowhere on land that you've lived on forever and you have a livestock protection dog that roams free because, well because that's how they do their job, you can expect your new more civilized than you neighbors who moved in from somewhere else to expect life to be just like NJ. They'll have little regard for local traditions and will never miss a chance to remind you how things are done smarter where they're from. If NJ traditions for civility dictates that you leash your dog your new neighbors will expect you to leash your dog. It pretty simple. Over time your little Vermont town will feel just like NJ except poorer...

Last edited by vter; 04-01-2010 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont