Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,170 times

Advertisements

Do you need a mouse to play Battlefield 2 Bad Company??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Well, if you plan to play any fps (first person shooter) game on a PC, you will need a mouse. B:BC2 is no exception here. There were times when these games were controlled with keyboard only, but Quake 1 changed everything, and that was in 1996
Alternatively, some fps games can be controlled with a game pad, though it is arguably inferior to the mouse and keyboard combo and not all pc fps titles work well with it.
Yac.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM

195 posts, read 186,456 times
As was mentioned yes for most FPS titles you will need a mouse to play them properly. Keyboard+mouse has become pretty much a standard set up for PC games in general even beyond FPS in many instances.

Also while some games will allow the use of a gamepad that can end up less responsive in some cases (though that could be nitpicking due to personal preference) and in others can actually limit the number of available inputs. Most PC games allow you to map functions and so the use of mouse and keyboard is not only the default... but in many cases is more flexible overall (again this could be a matter of preference as I know some people who are just more comfortable with the controller)

Short version.... for default settings on PC... probably... though depending on compatibility you might be able to pick up a gamepad instead.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I would assume this player is asking about the PC version, but I sure wish one would be so aware as to indicate what hardware they are talking about.

That being said, you can adapt any keyboard/mouse layout to a gamepad with the proper software, but why would you on a PC? You would be at a disadvantage.

In contrast, for the PS3 or 360 you have the gamepad. I have heard of some keyboard/mouse adapters for the PS3/360 for some FPS games (again with some emulation software built in) but none that has been sucessfully used for BBC2.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 10,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would assume this player is asking about the PC version, but I sure wish one would be so aware as to indicate what hardware they are talking about.

That being said, you can adapt any keyboard/mouse layout to a gamepad with the proper software, but why would you on a PC? You would be at a disadvantage.

In contrast, for the PS3 or 360 you have the gamepad. I have heard of some keyboard/mouse adapters for the PS3/360 for some FPS games (again with some emulation software built in) but none that has been sucessfully used for BBC2.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica622 View Post
Did you have a question or are you just trying to increase your post count with some silly icons? In the first case, my text was clear enough but ask away; in the second case, as a newbie, you should read the TOS for this site.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I personally ditched the mouse for gaming years ago, I find a 4 button trackball much better.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
How is it better ?? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not possible - especially since I never used a trackball for gaming, I'm genuinely intrigued. I remember back when people started using the mouse in Quake, how I laughed at them ... but once I tried it, I never went back. I couldn't.
Yac.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
The main things, it doesn't have to move around on the desk so it needs less space, and I find I have better control in FPS's, you can whip around 180 degrees in no time, I think it's easier than having to drag a mouse around.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I personally ditched the mouse for gaming years ago, I find a 4 button trackball much better.
I run a trackball, m'self. In fact, I loved using it so much for gaming that I switched over all my mice to wireless trackballs. I prefer the one with the ball by the thumb over the one in the middle of the mouse.

Once you get used to it, it's fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games