Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: expectation of PS4
Not looking forward to it unless they lower the price 5 27.78%
Not looking forward to it because the accessories will probably be expensive 1 5.56%
Not looking forward to it because ps3 games aren't convertible with ps3 2 11.11%
Not looking forward to it because other reasons (please state) 4 22.22%
Will get one because of the 8GB RAM 3 16.67%
Would love to try the new controllers 1 5.56%
Will be getting one anyway 9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
buying two Xbox 360 because one suffered from RROD and a PS3, I could have easily upgraded my PC and got those same games that runs better on PC at a cheaper price.
That's why I'm without an Xbox 360 . It had the RROD and I repaired it a total of 3 times successfully, and then the 4th time it was toast and I had an error that very few people ever solved.. I trashed the 360 but kept the hard drive..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 PM

27 posts, read 53,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
PS4 (or whatever they're going to call it) looks like its got some pretty graphics, other than that I'm holding off judgement, because to me a console is about the games, not the platform. "NextBox", dunno, nothing's been officially confirmed yet, much of the speculation is concerning (installation of games required, OAT internet), but until there's something official announced, I have no opinion, and early speculation has proven to be grossly innaccurate across more than one console generation.

Overall I'm very underwhelmed by both PS4 and "NextBox". In particular Sony being totally not backwards compatible, nor any foreseeable technical way they can make it so without a Digital Download of previously owned games.

No real bad experiences except release day sticker shock on either console, well with the exception of Sony's updating scheme, but that's likely self-inflicted since other than Blu-Ray and a couple of exclusives it doesn't see much action.
Let say if they do backward compatibility, or you can stream all ps family titles (rumors about Gaikai), do you consider getting one? I feel like backward compatibility is a pretty big deal to gamers

Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM

27 posts, read 53,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I'm finding myself more geared towards PC. Even with all the good things consoles offer, I still go back to my PC. The only thing that changes my mind is playing Football games on console since it seems PC doesn't offer any decent (American) football games anymore.
I feel you, to me console it's all about sports game, i don't know if its worth it to spend couple hundred bucks on just playing madden/nba 2k/pes soccer/mlb and all that.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
Let say if they do backward compatibility, or you can stream all ps family titles (rumors about Gaikai), do you consider getting one? I feel like backward compatibility is a pretty big deal to gamers
That would depend...

How would that work for instance I own God of War 3 for PS3...

Could I stick in the disk, it would read the game info, and let me download God of War 3 for PS4? Other than bandwidth constraints, that may be a mechanism, and still require me to have the disk in the machine to prevent piracy (i.e. Bob can't borrow my GoW3 disk do the download and then play for free).

That scheme is workable for most (unless you're on a thin pipe or bandwidth capped service), I'm sure.

I dunno if it would work for the game dev's though, they'd need to reimplement to run off of a CISC X64 architecture multi-core processor, rather than Sony's ill advised cell. So that's not even a debate consumers can have, it's between Sony (who would need to provide incentives) and the Developers.

If it's a "you can buy it for $20 on PSN", then no, I already own a copy I paid $60 for, go boil you're head.

BC is a big deal, because people have most of their gaming investment in the games, not the consoles. I have $700 invested in Sony gaming hardware (including controllers, etc.), and at least $7,000 invested in gaming software. While my PS3 is still running fine and dandy, if it turns it's toes to the sky, then I'll need to replace it, and if PS4 is available with BC it's more cost effective to spend extra for a PS4 with BC than another PS3 that only plays PS3 games, and if it's more than a few years post release of PS4, then there's no guarantee I can buy one new, so it would off to Ebay.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Hoping to get a good cheap used PS3 when the PS4 comes out. Only for PES and FIFA though. Not interested in consoles outside of that. If I get one it will be the first one since the original PS came out, I bought that brand new first day. Consoles dont do it for me outside of getting drunk and playing PES. PC games all teh way for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
I'm still running my old, fat, first generation PS3 from back in 2007. between all the call of duty games, battlefield games, and Fallout 3 and new vegas, I swear I probably have 2,500+ hours played. I've never had a single problem ever. Yeah PSN isn't that great compared to xbox live, but its free.

I'm sure they will both be great consoles, but I'm definitely going with the PS4.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM

380 posts, read 376,842 times
I'm just glad they're being released. Its been overdue and the consoles have been holding back game development on the pc side for a while now. I hate playing ports/multi-platform games that have graphics from the early 21st century.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
I'm probably going back to being a pc gamer soon. I was before the last gen. Planning on not even getting a next gen console at this point. Time will tell. Definitely not going with xbox again. Ms really left a sour taste in my mouth with all their paywall bs and ads.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm probably going back to being a pc gamer soon. I was before the last gen. Planning on not even getting a next gen console at this point. Time will tell.
Upgrading to the "next gen" console could almost buy you a brand new pc or a nice video card upgrade + ram. Consoles are over rated and it's to the point now where it's a race to see who will have their console released first. When the console race is on, that means we see new consoles every year or two, while a computer that can handle those games can last several years with minimal upgrading.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Upgrading to the "next gen" console could almost buy you a brand new pc or a nice video card upgrade + ram. Consoles are over rated and it's to the point now where it's a race to see who will have their console released first. When the console race is on, that means we see new consoles every year or two, while a computer that can handle those games can last several years with minimal upgrading.

This is why I went with Wii U. I am not expecting much of a difference between Xbox and PS4 and I have been burned by too many third party games being stagnant. Wii U offer something different from PS4 and Xbox. Nintendo just has done a terrible job marketing it to consumers and botched the launch. Ubisoft made things much worst when they delayed Rayman Legends, so they can go multi-platform. I think that was a bad move on Ubisoft because they will compete with GTA V during the month of September. But I give Ubisoft credit, there are the only third party publisher fully on board with the Wii U. EA is just angry Nintendo wouldn't accept their crappy Origin online server and refuse to do business with them. Crytek had Crysis 3 ready for the Wii U. That's okay with me since I haven't bought a game published by EA since Battlefield 3.

I'm buying two remaining games for the PS3. The Metal Gear Solid Legacy and The Last of Us. I rather play Bioshock Infinite and Grand Theft Auto V on PC than on console. I don't see the point of paying the same price or more for the inferior version. I am doing research on PC components and seeing which is best and the pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games