Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times

Advertisements

For my next projects, I am considering getting either one, but do not want to buy both, if I don't have to.

I was told in the past that when using gimbals (using another person's, when I did), that I shouldn't be using them to try to achieve dolly moves, cause a dolly is a dolly and a gimbal is a gimbal, and I shouldn't be trying to substitute one tool for another, that does a different job.

Mainly when I try to do slow push in or push out moves, it doesn't look as steady, or level with the gimbal.

However, gimbals are selling more than dollies now it seems, and I am wondering, why is that, if both tools have different jobs? Why is the gimbal more popular, or is there a better reason to choose it over a dolly, if you can just have one?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Dollies only work on smooth/flat ground, or on a track. That's probably 90 percent of the reason gimbal rigs have become so popular. No, a gimbal can't truly replace a dolly, but of the two, a gimbal can do far more things... including a good fake of dolly shots. You can't dolly up stairs, through a crowd or in tight spaces.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Okay thanks, but I don't know if I would need to dolly on stairs or tight space. Aside from stairs or really tight spaces, what's so bad about a track, that everyone is willing to get a gimbal over a dolly?

Even with a hard track, you can still go on stairs as long as you zoom past the track, and you don't let it roll down the stairs accidentally, can't you?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Another thing is, sometimes when I go for slow dolly shots, like a slow push in to the face, it doesn't look as good on a gimbal. It looks a little wavy like it needs to be leveled more, like a dolly. Is it possibly to make slow push ins look good on a gimbal as well, or is that too much of a dolly's job, to get good results?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Gimbals are smaller, cheaper, easier to set up and break down, and more flexible. But no, you can't get glass-smooth dolly motion from them without superhuman reflexes.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Are gimbals really cheaper though? On B & H, you can buy a tripod dolly for around $200 and you can by tracks for around $300, so doesn't that add up to the price of a gimbal?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Both have a very wide price range. You can also rent both (usually higher quality and more capable ones) and see what works for you, then buy with some ideas about price point and usefulness for your needs.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Okay thanks. I have worked with people who have used both so I have seen them both in action while working, and I feel I am good with either one, just don't know which one would be better. Like even if I rented both, that still doesn't tell me why the gimbal is more popular.

Basically there is a pro and con to each I find. With a gimbal, you don't have to zoom past the track and can allow for wider lenses therefore. With a dolly, you get more steady shots if you want.

So it depends on what is more important, but they both seem just as important.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 PM

I've been kind of scratching my head over these questions.

They are different tools, each with a different set of strengths and weaknesses, that do a similar but not identical job. Neither is "best" in any real sense. Most current small filmmakers probably use both, in turn, as the particular characteristics that each brings is needed. It seems like you understand how both are used; use the tool that does the job you want done.

If you only have one, learn to fake the other with it.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Okay thanks. I wanted to get one, but didn't want to spend money on both if I don't have to.

Sorry if the questions were too much, I just want to get the most for my money and make the right decision. Here is a scene I directed, in which I had a gimbal operator, fake a dolly shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85soQGO-k4

But do you think the faked dolly moves are too unsmooth, or uneven, since it's a gimbal though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography