Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:30 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Sorry if the questions were too much...
No, not at all, and I don't want to discourage you from asking (here or in any other forum). My puzzlement is that you're asking good questions... but ones to which you clearly know the answers and issues.

A dolly system can run thousands of dollars if you have good height options, stabilized movement and a lot of really adaptable track. A gimbal system generally costs less, although you can certainly load one up with optional stabilizers and arms and such until it's very expensive. If you can only afford one, I'd stay with a gimbal system you can expand in a useful direction until such time as you have a budget for a decent dolly. (Or rent the latter when needed and make the most of that day or two.)

If you have to make do... do your best making do, and concentrate on the many other aspects of getting quality onto the screen. Sure, a glass-smooth track or zoom is nice, but little bobbles can be processed out in editing or just smothered by good elements of other kinds.

Remember, Rodriguez's equivalent for his first film was a busted wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Oh okay. I tried the wheelchair thing before but I found it wasn't smooth enough.

But I thought you could get a dolly with a good height for a cheap price. What about this dolly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0946N-zVyQ

Since it connects to a tripod, you have a pretty good adjustable height for a low price, don't you? But I heard from one other person that it's not as steady as the gimbal, so I feel that even though I know the pros and cons of each, I still can't make a decision.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. I tried the wheelchair thing before but I found it wasn't smooth enough.

But I thought you could get a dolly with a good height for a cheap price. What about this dolly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0946N-zVyQ

Since it connects to a tripod, you have a pretty good adjustable height for a low price, don't you? But I heard from one other person that it's not as steady as the gimbal, so I feel that even though I know the pros and cons of each, I still can't make a decision.
Yes, their video makes it look smooth...

*This product is the Dolly only. Tracks and Tripod are not included.

SolidTrax Track Dolly fits standard dolly tracks and provides a firm support for your tripod.

Website At: https://www.proamusa.com/collections...al-track-dolly

Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM

I have two dollies, one about like that shown - it folds up and packs well - and one I built from wood that's nowhere near as portable (it does fold a ittle). The foldy-aluminy-tiny ones need a glass-smooth surface to roll, or tracks. My big dolly has 6-inch rubber tires and ball-bearing swivels, plus a pair of articulated push sticks that attach to it, not the tripod. I can get pretty smooth dolly action from it without tracks.

There just aren't any cheap/easy solutions when you get down to that last 5% of image quality.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:35 PM

okay thanks, but what do you mean the last 5% of image quality?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Perfection as opposed to Pretty Damned Good.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Oh I see, okay. How hard is it to keep the tracks on a dolly from shaking though? We tried a dolly shot once, with one I borrowed from the film school, while I was in school, and there was vibration in it, even though we were on tracks in an outdoor parking lot. So is keeping the tracks smooth, very difficult normally?

Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes, their video makes it look smooth...

*This product is the Dolly only. Tracks and Tripod are not included.

SolidTrax Track Dolly fits standard dolly tracks and provides a firm support for your tripod.

Website At: https://www.proamusa.com/collections...al-track-dolly
Yep for sure, but I already have a tripod and the price of the tracks, plus the dolly adds up to around the same as gimbal, give or take a bit, so I didn't think I was saving anything by buying a gimbal over a dolly, like how some say the gimbals are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography