Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering the idea of moving to Virginia. We have been reviewing different cities, crime rates, salary rates etc. I appen to run across this forum and thought I would get some thoughts and opinions.

My husband is a meat and seafood manager for a major grocery store chain in Ohio, has been with them 22 years.
I am a Paralegal, recently graduated and 18 months of experience.
We have 4 children ages preschool to high school.

We are looking for a small town/ city, Low crime, good public school, afforadable and prefer in the southern part of the state. The less snow the better.
The area we have been looking at is Richmond Va and south.
Thank you for any and all input!!!!!

Barbara
-Ohio-

Last edited by barbihastings; 12-02-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Can your husband transfer? With the time it at his job, that must count for something? As you must know, jobs are tough, I'm in NoVa but felt bad because nobody had responded. Believe it or not, there have been some yrs. when Richmond area has had more snow than us.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
Barbi,
I moved from Ohio to Va when the rust belt happened in the 80's and I moved back to Ohio for retirement. account of not enjoying the super hot summers in Va.
the difference in Va and Ohio is basically in Va if it moves it gets taxed,inspected every year so if you own 6 cars you have to pay 6 separate taxes if you want lic. plates ,.if you order your food to go you will pay taxes on it ,if you buy groceries ,you will pay taxes on it.
one thing I feel is better is the county and city are separate and each little township doesn't have its own school ,road,police etc it is all under one county govt. which saves the tax payer.
I lived in the Richmond area the far eastern edge of henrico Farm land.
if you choose Richmond you have a lot of choices of how you want to live, in a urban setting,suburban or rural, I chose the rural which meant 15 -20 miles to most giant retailers and malls or you could live on the south side,or far west end and deal with the traffic problems daily but every store is close,which was my problem everything was too close for my taste.

the winters are mild,but the summers can get brutal,I chose returning to Ohio for the milder summers and cheap housing,when winter arrives I am in Fl. I dont like SNOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia