Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,619 times

Advertisements

Check out the map:

2012 Presidential Election Results - The Washington Post

One of many maps of its kind out now. Check out the county breakdown for VA. Basically, two NOVA counties carried the entire state for Obama. Obama didn't carry the Tidewater, or metro Richmond.

If anything, this map proves VA is a solidly red state, save the two most populous counties in NOVA (which are nowhere near representative of the entire state, due to its reliance on DC). The whole idea that VA is "fading away" or is "no longer Southern" is laughable, at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 AM

134 posts, read 332,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Check out the map:

One of many maps of its kind out now. Check out the county breakdown for VA. Basically, two NOVA counties carried the entire state for Obama. Obama didn't carry the Tidewater, or metro Richmond.
I'm not quite sure what map you're looking at, but when I go to county level on the map you link to, it appears Obama DID carry several areas outside of NoVA, including Richmond, with Henrico and Caroline Counties; Charlottesville including Nelson and Albemarle Counties; and parts of the SE VA area including Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Surrey, Sussex, etc.

If by "Ol' Virginny" you're meaning gentile southern behavior, I don't think you can say it's dying off because of this election. That is a product of upbringing. If we lose that, it's because of other factors.

But, with any luck, we are saying good bye to "you must be just like me to ride this ride" attitudes.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Check out the map:

If anything, this map proves VA is a solidly red state, save the two most populous counties in NOVA (which are nowhere near representative of the entire state, due to its reliance on DC). The whole idea that VA is "fading away" or is "no longer Southern" is laughable, at best.
By my count, Obama carried 12 out of 18 cities and counties with populations over 50,000. Sure the Repubs control more geography, but less and less of the population. This will only get worse for them as the old people die off and more diverse residents move in and have families. Here are the Presidential results by locality:

Virginia Board of Elections - Election Night Results

In 20 years, Virginia will likely be as red as California is now. Meaning not so much. By the way, if you look at a California electoral map you'll see huge red areas too. The problem is nobody lives there or wants to.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Here's a link to Blue Virginia's website, a group whose goal is to help us make the transition:

Blue Virginia

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

939 posts, read 1,894,008 times
Virginia Election Results

This map shows that Obama carried basically anywhere in Virginia that mattered. Would be interesting to overlay this map with one that shows average income, gdp and education levels to see how closely the blue areas reflect those stats..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Virginia Election Results

This map shows that Obama carried basically anywhere in Virginia that mattered. Would be interesting to overlay this map with one that shows average income, gdp and education levels to see how closely the blue areas reflect those stats..
You might want to include age in there as well. I imagine rural VA voters as elsewhere tend to skew older, favoring Republicans. I did read something today that says that political attitudes are generational and people really don't become more conservative as they get older. This bodes well for Democrats as the current elderly rurals are replaced by subsequent more liberal generations.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Basically the only strongholds of Southern Culture remain in the extreme southwest region of the state and southside and it is difficult to tell how long that will remain the case.

A very large portion of the Obama vote outside NoVa was cast by african americans, whose culture is quite Southern, and who quite often have deep roots in the Commonwealth, sometimes going back to the 17th century.

I suppose you mean WHITE Southern Culture.

I'm not sure even in that regard you can look only at the electoral results. While Obama nationally won few culturally southern whites, the number was surely not zero, especially looking at the college educated, at females, at the young and single. I imagine down in richmond you could find quite a few college educated single females, quite a few gay people, etc, who have southern accents and grew up with southern cuisine, who voted for Obama.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post
If by "Ol' Virginny" you're meaning gentile southern behavior, I don't think you can say it's dying off because of this election.
Do you mean genteel southern behavior? Because while the synagogues in NoVa are pretty Yankee these days (even Beth El of Alexandria, which has ante bellum roots) I am pretty sure the ones in Richmond still have something of a southern feel - and of course Rep Cantor is pretty "red" in current political parlance.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM

134 posts, read 332,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Do you mean genteel southern behavior?
You're correct that I had the wrong spelling. Thank you for pointing it out. I did not mean gentile, as in not of the Jewish faith, I meant the decrease in genteel behavior, as in politeness and good manners.

Last edited by springgrl; 11-09-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Check out the map:

If anything, this map proves VA is a solidly red state, save the two most populous counties in NOVA (which are nowhere near representative of the entire state, due to its reliance on DC).

Your logic is a little flawed. Winning more land area does not mean winning the election, and does not make Virginia 'solidly' anything. Most of the state population lives in metro areas. Obama carried the state, and it doesn't matter how many more counties Romney carried: Obama got more votes.

Maybe next time the Republican candidate will get more votes. If he or she gets them all in two counties, but those two counties are the majority they still win the state.

Before you go to the 'I knew that!', reread your statement: apparently you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia