Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
My experience differs from ESQ2B's entirely. While living in the Roanoke area just for the past 2 1/2 years, I've met some of the smartest people I've ever encountered. I've met software developers, internet entrepreneurs, major real estate players, professors, chemists, pathologists, surgeons, starving musicians, aspiring farmers, and on and on. This is beautiful country here and it attracts a very interesting mix of people. Down here, a dude with the dirty carhartt jacket could have an IQ of 175 and make $750k a year. It's not a terribly classist society down here. Down here the rich and poor intermingle more readily than in New England, at least in my experience. Down here folks enjoy an impressive array of public and social services, and the gov't can somehow provide those services without bending the public over the table and violating them with massive tax burdens.

If anyone lived in Roanoke for 8 years and was unable to find kindred spirits who were interesting and intelligent, then I'd wager they weren't very interesting or intelligent themselves. In fact I find the whole "redneck" generalization within Roanoke to be extremely insulting. The entire Roanoke economy is driven by the healthcare and financial services industries. There are a half dozen colleges in the greater Roanoke area. Roanoke's growth rate is curving upwards while every state in New England is curving downward. Look at the business section and Roanoke area firms are headhunting people from up North in droves. Every single weekend of every single year there are multiple cultural events taking place. We have a top notch Symphony that is incredibly well funded and supported by our community. We have dance troupes, we have professional plays rolling through, we have top cultural acts. Does it offer everything a Boston or a NYC or a Baltimore will offer? No, it won't. But Roanoke, to a great many intelligent and interesting people, has just the right balance for them.

Sean
I love this post. I agree with it in almost every aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM

111 posts, read 428,917 times
"Good luck finding a job. We've found employers want nothing to do with anybody from out of state. They'll think of the most ludicrous reasons not to hire you. Maybe it's different in the northern part of the state, but as for the rest, forget it. We spent thousands of dollars and a huge chunk of time only to find this out. Of course this is just our experience. But be prepared, just in case. Sorry, I really wish I could tell you differently."

This statement is ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 AM

102 posts, read 526,805 times
I agree. My H was just hired and we currently live in PA and have no Roanoke or VA ties. There is no way Roanoke could be as large as it is and employers not hire people from out of the region. I think you must take statements painted with a broad brush for what they are.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderVA View Post
"Good luck finding a job. We've found employers want nothing to do with anybody from out of state. They'll think of the most ludicrous reasons not to hire you. Maybe it's different in the northern part of the state, but as for the rest, forget it. We spent thousands of dollars and a huge chunk of time only to find this out. Of course this is just our experience. But be prepared, just in case. Sorry, I really wish I could tell you differently."

This statement is ridiculous.

Really....

1. "You are tentatively hired." - requested letter from supervisor. Claim they never got them (all 4--they were sent; we checked). You must call within 10 days. Called 7 times--left messages, "in a meeting", voicemail, "he's off today" etc. etc. In other words, they made sure he couldn't comply by their deadline.

2. We only have pediatric cases (Lie: talked to main office; they were shocked anyone would say such a thing).

3. We don't have much work here (Lie: they advertise every day, almost begging for nurses with any and all specialities.)

No, it's not ridiculous. And we aren't the only ones to have this happen to.

Just want to set the record straight.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

111 posts, read 428,917 times
If that has been your experience, then I am sorry for that. But to make the statement that Virginia businesses (ouside NOVA) don't hire 'outsiders' IS ridiculous, if not laughable. Anecdotal evidence does not equal data.

I'm sure your experience was frustrating and disheartening, but lets keep things in perspective.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM

132 posts, read 486,916 times
I've been away and finally got around to reading these last few posts.

Thanks for all of the input; it has been helpful. Its interesting, but expected I suppose, how different people can have such varied opinions on the same city/location.

Other input is always appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 20,114 times
Quote:
If that has been your experience, then I am sorry for that. But to make the statement that Virginia businesses (ouside NOVA) don't hire 'outsiders' IS ridiculous, if not laughable. Anecdotal evidence does not equal data.

I'm sure your experience was frustrating and disheartening, but lets keep things in perspective.
I am VERY new to this forum and live in Lynchburg. Employers really, really do not want to hire outsiders. This is not laughable. If this is strictly a "Lynchburg thing" I do not know. Maybe I have had EXTREMELY bad experiences, who knows. However, were I currently work I have many times heard things like "yeah, but he is from Boston...." and even though the person is interested in moving here the applicant is simply put to the side.

My career has suffered INCREDIBLY since moving to Virginia. From were I stand, things are different i NoVa. As for other parts of Va I do not know, but I would not be surprised if things were the same. Lynchburg cannot be THAt isolated, right?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM

67 posts, read 282,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I can't tell you about the shopping, cultural life etc. in Roanoke, but I can tell you that there are a number of people from out of state who cannot get jobs in Virginia. My husband tried, and even went to the area for interviews. They will treat you decently but when it comes to hiring they will find the most ludicrous excuses why you didn't get the job. That's why their unemployment figures are decent; they prefer to hire people from that state.

I can understand it in a way but it also keeps things stagnant if newcomers are not brought in at least occasionally. We were so happy about moving to Virginia for the milder weather, the beauty of the area and the decent prices, but were blindedsided by this attitude regarding new hires. And I'm talking about the healthcare field! I could understand if it were not in an occupation where the demand is not growing, but of course with healthcare that is not the case.

Perhaps you will have better luck. As far as the other subjects mentioned, I think Roanoke has decent shopping and it's getting better. The cultural life is growing and I'm sure there are all kinds of events to attend. Plus the beauty of the area is breathtaking.

But if getting a job is really difficult, then everything else falls through. New England is beautiful and I wish we could afford to live there. However, Virginia would be first choice because of the weather. My doc has told me a milder climate will help me to feel better. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.
I have to say I really do not “get” Virginia. On one hand I hear people say it is so easy to get a job…while others (including my self) have to work EXTREMELY hard and still end up with a job that is barely acceptable. I have actually ended up in some heated discussions at my work place because I got irritated that they put resumes to the side because “they are not local”. It took me close to 2 years to get a full time job with benefits that were not so great (beggars can’t be choosers though) . I can easily say that moving to Virginia close to ruined my career.
Obviously different employers function differently. Companies that have their HQ OUTSIDE Virginia will happily send people to work in VA. Local companies are some what skeptical to outsiders.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jonas View Post
I am VERY new to this forum and live in Lynchburg. Employers really, really do not want to hire outsiders. This is not laughable. If this is strictly a "Lynchburg thing" I do not know. Maybe I have had EXTREMELY bad experiences, who knows. However, were I currently work I have many times heard things like "yeah, but he is from Boston...." and even though the person is interested in moving here the applicant is simply put to the side.

My career has suffered INCREDIBLY since moving to Virginia. From were I stand, things are different i NoVa. As for other parts of Va I do not know, but I would not be surprised if things were the same. Lynchburg cannot be THAt isolated, right?
Though it gives me no pleasure, I was somewhat satisfied to see your post. The exact same thing has happened to my husband, except that mercifully we did not get so far as to actually relocate to Virginia (Roanoke area). We got the message loud and clear. Still, we lost thousands of dollars and wasted time. My husband went and applied in person, was led to believe one job was a certainty (but they managed to concoct a means to get around it), while two others outright lied to him.

Thank you for verifying that I am not paranoid. I am sorry to hear that you have also discovered that tourist money is wonderful (or if you have a lot of money to begin with and wish to move there and spend it) but as far as wanting to move there and enjoy what is otherwise a lovely state with natural beauty abounding, forget it.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Anecdotal?

Quote:

Numbers and charts can be manipulated to show what a person is looking for; actual experiences cannot.

I am far from the first on this forum to have posted about this "phenomena".

Ask them how "laughable" their experiences have been, as well as how costly. Sorry if I sound angry but it is uncalled for to describe what we have experienced and the obvious conclusions from these hard earned lessons as laughable and ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia