Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking for a midway point between Ft. Lee (Petersburg, VA) and Duke (Durham, NC). We both expect to drive about an hour, and maybe one of us will drive longer. Any ideas? We've been thinking about Henderson, NC and South Hill, VA.

No kids, so public schools aren't an issue. We just want some place safe where we can go out for dinner if we want to without too much of an issue.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TwoPlusCat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusCat View Post
We're looking for a midway point between Ft. Lee (Petersburg, VA) and Duke (Durham, NC). We both expect to drive about an hour, and maybe one of us will drive longer. Any ideas? We've been thinking about Henderson, NC and South Hill, VA.
Normally, I am not on this board. However, when I lived in Virginia after we were married, my wife commuted 72 miles each way to work. Also, I traveled 120 miles to graduate school when I was in St. Louis.

South Hill and Emporia, VA would both qualify as about halfway to Durham. Still, you will each be spending one hour each way each day which will get old quickly.

Personally, I would rent a room on campus all week and commute back to Petersburg on the weekends. It is really hard to get out of class at 9 pm, hit the computer lab, until 1am and then have to hit the road for an hour drive.

Fortunately, there is not a lot of bad weather on that commute for the most part. Also, the roads are pretty wide open. Do realize that the VA state troopers do patrol that road a lot for speeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia