Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 57,028 times

Advertisements

so I received a ticket for not validating my 5 day pass.... I've been commuting from Burke station to DC for almost 2 years. The morning I bought the 5 day pass, the machine did not validate the ticket when I clicked "validate" at the time of purchase. I did not check (stupid me I know) and it turned out the ticket didn't actually get validated .. i guess something was wrong with the ticketing machine.

After receiving this ticket on Nov 19th, I sent a complaint letter (see below) to VRE - even though I knew nothing will change. To make things worse, I can't even pre-pay the ticket because it's STILL NOT IN THE SYSTEM yet... also the fine is $186, and the conductor took my 5 day pass ticket too.

I feel like I got ripped off by VRE for just one single honest mistake. I even showed the conductor my credit card bill that shows my ticket purchase (burke, amount matches the 5 day pass price) from my smartphone but it didn't help. I know the fault is mine for making this stupid mistake, but paying alsmo $250 for one mistake? I HATE YOU VRE ! (or that conductor)

The letter to VRE:
Hi VRE,

I've been a royal VRE customer for more than 2 years until today. I've used VRE trains from Burke center to commute to DC and I've been always happy about the service and the crew, until today.

I had to purchase a weekly ticket this morning (Monday) as opposed to monthly that I usually purchase, as I'll be out of state after mid November. I purchased the weekly ticket and clicked YES on the prompt menu for immediate ticket validation. Then, I took the train in the morning just fine. On my way back after work, I was inspected for the ticket and it was found that my ticket in fact did not get validated. I was very surprised as I assumed the ticket to have been validated from the machine. I explained the situation to the conductor how I just purchased the ticket this very morning - it was no use. I was asked for a copy of driver's license and when I tried to plea, I was told to get off in the next station. Not only I felt very humiliated as people were listening to that remark, I was very frustrated the ticket I purchased will be taken away.

After today's experience, I decided that I will be no longer customer to VRE. I'm very disappointed in the lack of reliability of ticket machines and the lack of respect given to the riders from some crew; to be fare, most VRE crew I've come across were very polite and reasonable, but the lady conductor that I came across this evening was very rude and had no regard for riders like myslef. Even though it was careless on my part to not check the validation mark after the ticket has been printed, the treatment I received in the train was so humiliating and frustrating, to the point that I do not want to take the train anymore.

I'm submitting this complaint because I'm hoping this does not happen to others.
Please inspect the ticket machines at Burke Center,VA because even though it says the ticket has been validated, it actually does not validate the ticket. I do not know what to say about the lady conductor, she seemed to be enjoying the experience of giving me citation and threatening to get off the train if I do not sign the citation when I was making a plea.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
So you're going to now drive over this? I call bull. Figure out how to fight it and make it right.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
The VRE has lots of signage that warns users to check their validation on tickets. Quick scan on a fresh ticket would be a date stamp. Day 2, 3, or even 5 might be more believable. If the purchase receipt option worked then nobody would validate the tickets. The VRE is operating at nearly 20% self funded, 80% tax subsidies. We can't afford folks not paying. I feel your pain and possibly you might get a reduced ticket in an admin hearing as a long term customer. Wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: