Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 06:54 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times

Advertisements

What cities/towns/counties, etc fit me? I'm 49 years old, and a woman. I will be retiring in 6 years. I look and act younger, and have absolutely no desire to kick back and do nothing all day. I like having the option of having different things to do; concerts, movies, theatre, shows, museums, hiking, biking, shopping, etc. I am not a drinker or partier, but I like an area that offers a decent amount of things to do besides get drunk. I am single, and no children. I do have family living in Richmond and Ashland, though I do *NOT* need to be living right up underneath them, and don't want that to cloud your opinions.

Let me tell you this; I LOVE NYC. there is so many activities you can get involved in, some of everything. Now, I'm not looking for an exact NYC type of place, im just trying to give you an idea of the 'scene' I like.
I realize VA is not NYC.

I love the outdoors. Love mountains. I love hiking, and would like to have some decent areas of hiking at least within a 4 hour drive.

I am NOT a bible thumper, and I would not like to live around people who are wound up tightly. I like a community where people are open minded with a live and let live attitude, but tough on crime. I want to live in a decent area. I would probably be renting, as I live alone, no children, and not as of yet married. I own a home now, but I don't like the headaches of ownership and fixing things, the yard up keep, etc. I'd rather leave that to someone else, so id probably be renting. But again, I don't want an area where I can walk outside and see people selling drugs in front. It HAS to be a fairly decent area.

Budget would be about $900 month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Budget would be about $900 month.
I think Richmond is a pretty good option. You might look at some of the converted loft buildings near downtown. I can't guarantee there won't be drug sales, but there will be a lot of urban activity available. Richmond has several good museums, some theater and some very good restaurants. You can get to the Blue Ridge for hiking in a few hours.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
You might also check the Richmond forum for threads such as this one: Single female retiring in Richmond VA -- where to live affordably?

Old 11-07-2015, 05:40 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Keep Roanoke on your list...you might have better luck at getting a reasonably priced rental in a safe urban neighborhood than in Richmond.

If you could stand a 30 minute drive to outstanding hiking and outdoor mountain opportunities (rather than 4 hours) you ought to at least check it out!

Old 11-07-2015, 11:14 AM

97 posts, read 189,019 times
I'd suggest Harrisonburg. I would have initially said Charlottesville, but I doubt you'll find anything that fits your budget.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Richmond would be perfect for you. It's like living in Park Slope, if you are familiar with NYC. A fair number of people in Richmond, including myself, have lived there

Old 11-15-2015, 12:41 PM

83 posts, read 113,453 times
Richmond is what came to my mind as well. With the amazing Fine Arts program at VCU, right in the heart of the city, it is very culturally diverse. The VMFA is a wonderful museum to spend the day in. There is the James River to play on, and you wouldn't be too far from the Blue Ridge or the beach. It might be worth taking a weekend trip to explore!

Our daughter graduated from VCU, so we spent a fair amount of time in the city. There are regular festivals and events all around the city, all year round.

If hubby and I decide to move closer to "civilization" in our later years, Richmond is top on my list. I love the historic homes in Carytown and The Fan. Richmond feels "big city" but, for the most part folks are southern charm friendly.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:02 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
Definitely Richmond, and also Charlottesville\Albemarle county. But not the surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia