Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,948 times

Advertisements

Looking at possibly relocating to the east coast for a job. In talking with the hiring manager he said half the company lives in VA and half in NC. Trying to get a feel for cost of living changes in each state. Prop. taxes, income tax, food tax, sales tax, etc. I have a wife and 2 small children so schools, crime, and neighborhoods are important too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Both are small towns in rural areas with not much going on. I've been to both towns and neither were particularly interesting, IMO. I didn't feel unsafe, they just never fazed me much. I can't speak much for the taxes other than sales tax in NC is a little higher than VA's. The fees, such as DMV fees, are higher in NC too. I grew up and lived in eastern NC (Wayne County) until 2009, though I still visit once in a while. South Boston is probably cheaper overall. I'm not familiar with the schools, though.

However, based on location alone, I would choose Roxboro over South Boston any day. Roxboro is closer to Durham and the rest of the Triangle metro in NC (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), which gives you easy access to shopping and other amenities, along with great healthcare. South Boston is practically in no-man's-land and the closest larger city is Danville, which sorely lacks the features previously mentioned, and has terrible crime for a city it's size. The same highway connecting Roxboro to Durham (US-501) also goes through South Boston, but South Boston is further away from Durham.

Last edited by LM117; 03-18-2017 at 04:47 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 06:16 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
I've been to both to shop, wife worked in Roxboro....I second the idea of Roxboro, just due to it's proximity to Raleigh/Durham. Research on the web for tax differences.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
They're basically the same, as people often forget that state/county borders are just lines drawn on maps. Both towns are quite rural and sleepy with tobacco heritage. However, I agree that Roxboro is the better choice because it's closer to Durham. Keep in mind that people in South Boston also go down to Durham for just about everything, like access to the airport and shopping. I can't comment on the schools, though. If it's a possibility, it might be better to live in Durham and commute to Roxboro. However, they're 30 miles apart so I can understand if this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If it's a possibility, it might be better to live in Durham and commute to Roxboro. However, they're 30 miles apart so I can understand if this doesn't seem like a good idea.
Not to mention that Durham is bound to be more expensive, though I agree with the sentiment.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Quote:
If it's a possibility, it might be better to live in Durham and commute to Roxboro. However, they're 30 miles apart so I can understand if this doesn't seem like a good idea.
Very good point - there would be a huge difference in lifestyle between living in Roxboro OR South Boston, as compared to living closer to the edge of Durham.

Different strokes for different folks, but that will be a huge thing. Some families will relocate to a town like Roxboro and be very satisfied while others would feel like they had migrated to a new world.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
I guess it depends on where you're moving from, but it's worth noting that Roxboro and South Boston are rural southern towns. To be straightforward, people are going to be conservative, religious, etc. The culture shock might be extreme. However, say you're moving from somewhere like California, there's a good chance you'll be more comfortable in Durham. Not to stereotype or anything.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
I agree with all the comments above, but just want to mention that South Boston does at least have this one attraction http://www.prizery.com

Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Quote:
They're basically the same, as people often forget that state/county borders are just lines drawn on maps. Both towns are quite rural and sleepy with tobacco heritage. However, I agree that Roxboro is the better choice because it's closer to Durham. Keep in mind that people in South Boston also go down to Durham for just about everything, like access to the airport and shopping. I can't comment on the schools, though. If it's a possibility, it might be better to live in Durham and commute to Roxboro. However, they're 30 miles apart so I can understand if this doesn't seem like a good idea.
State borders distinguish between different political systems. And there are major differences between Virginia's politics and North Carolina's politics. North Carolina, for one, is not even considered a full democracy anymore because their State Government is so authoritarian that they tried to strip the incoming Democratic governor of most major duties just because he was the wrong party: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ence-democracy

You can live in Roxboro and experience the far-right Conservative utopia that the NC Legislature wants to create, or you can live in South Boston and experience a State Government that only moves forward with bipartisanship (because Dems have the Governor and the Reps have the Legislature).

Those are important distinctions between the two, even if both cities are similar politically (57% GOP, 40% Dem).

Old 03-26-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
State borders distinguish between different political systems. And there are major differences between Virginia's politics and North Carolina's politics. North Carolina, for one, is not even considered a full democracy anymore because their State Government is so authoritarian that they tried to strip the incoming Democratic governor of most major duties just because he was the wrong party: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ence-democracy

You can live in Roxboro and experience the far-right Conservative utopia that the NC Legislature wants to create, or you can live in South Boston and experience a State Government that only moves forward with bipartisanship (because Dems have the Governor and the Reps have the Legislature).

Those are important distinctions between the two, even if both cities are similar politically (57% GOP, 40% Dem).
I agree about the political differences, but that may change soon. There are court-ordered special elections being held in NC this November due to the gerrymandering. At least Pat McCrory got kicked out of the governor's mansion last November. He was a sorry excuse for a governor and NC Senate leader Phil Berger is the biggest P.O.S. in the General Assembly. If you want proof, watch Gov. Roy Cooper's recent State of the State address and then watch Berger's GOP response and that's just for starters. Cooper has won a couple of victories against the General Assembly so far.

Judges give partial wins to GOP, Cooper in power struggle | abc11.com

That said, I still don't think it's worth the extra gas it would take to go from South Boston to Durham just because of a few nutjobs in the legislature, but to each their own.

I also doubt the OP is coming back to this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia