Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 45,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post

(I'm out, by the way. But feel free to keep yammering on. There are always weak minded fools who'll be convinced by your kind of talk. And who won't even notice that it actually says nothing.) .
I’m not reading your silly, convoluted analogous explanations. You said you’d leave the topic, yet you’ve replied 8 times since then. You made that promise, not me. Now go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 AM

312 posts, read 354,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixxDiddy View Post
Now go.
Let me consider this...

Nah.

Since everybody's doing the wrong thing in this thread (including the moderator who should have kicked the whole mess to Politics long ago), I think I'll stick around and keep an eye on you all. Combat the misinformation and such.

And, by the way, the speech I quoted awhile back (you know, the first of my posts you conveniently decided not to read) wasn't a pundit piece from CNN, MSNBC or any of the "real news" outlets you choose to ignore. It was a speech given on the Senate floor by Sen. Jeff Flake. You know--the junior Republican senator from Arizona? He wrote Conscience of a Conservative: A Rejection of Destructive Politics and a Return to Principle? (Something you might want to read.) Ring any bells yet?

Anyway, here's possibly the most important thing he said (via Sen Daniel Patrick Moynihan) as it relates to this thread: “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

That's why I'll be sticking around. To make sure we're all sticking to the facts. Here's one:

Democrats Just Flipped Their 35th State Legislative Seat

Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 AM

^^That makes response number 9 since you promised to leave this thread.

Once again, you’re burying yourself in biased news stories designed to give sheep like yourself a false sense of Democratic momentum. You neglected to point out the extremely low voter turnout in those races, and also the dozens of races Democrats have LOST- including the 3 other Missouri races. You’re also probably unaware that the DNC is bleeding money as RNC fundraising continues to climb.

There are almost 8,000 legislative seats in the country- the VAST a majority of which are controlled by Republicans. In fact, Democrats only Have trifecta control of 7 state legislatures, while Republicans control the state senate, house and governors mansion in 21 states.

But feel free to keep celebrating about THIRTY FIVE low turnout victories when you’re literally thousands of seats behind. Lol

Last edited by MixxDiddy; 02-09-2018 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"The slimy underside of humanity" --- what a despicable comment. It's also a narrow-minded and bigoted comment. Apparently, you haven't met many people who aren't liberals so you assume that anyone who doesn't agree with you politically is "the slimy side of humanity". How intolerant of you.
On the contrary, I know (and like) many Republicans. Sometimes I even vote like one. It's the Rush Limbaugh-quoting, Sean Hannity-channeling, "Fake news!" heralding Republicans I take issue with. The ones who don't like to pay taxes to support infrastructure but then can't figure out why it takes six days for the schools to reopen in Virginia after a very mediocre snowstorm. Good Republicans are like good Democrats--they play fair and stick to the rules of good democracy. I don't take issue with someone who likes small government and wants to keep the deficit in check. I take issue with someone who votes for an almost universally panned tax bill because he (or she) is so indebted to his (or her) donors that they're willing to sell out their country for campaign contributions. "Dirty tricksters" (self-proclaimed) and dirty politics have all but ruined the Republican party for me.

I'm basically a moderate, so it takes very little to sway me one way or another over the line. But what the Republican party is right now? That's a line I'm not willing to cross.

That this guy currently has the amount of power he does, that he's that intimately connected to our Oval Office--that horrifies me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPyv4KgTAA

Old 02-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixxDiddy View Post
^^That makes response number 9 since you promised to leave this thread.

Once again, you’re burying yourself in biased news stories designed to give sheep like yourself a false sense of Democratic momentum. You neglected to point out the extremely low voter turnout in those races, and also the dozens of races Democrats have LOST- including the 3 other Missouri races. You’re also probably unaware that the DNC is bleeding money as RNC fundraising continues to climb.

There are almost 8,000 legislative seats in the country- the VAST a majority of which are controlled by Republicans. In fact, Democrats only Have trifecta control of 7 state legislatures, while Republicans control the state senate, house and governors mansion in 21 states.

But feel free to keep celebrating about THIRTY FIVE low turnout victories when you’re literally thousands of seats behind. Lol
Spin little spider, spin. Low voter turnout with a democratic win in a deeply red district says to me that Dems are energized while Republicans don't care enough to even show up. A flip is a flip. One among many. With more to come.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Not a spin at all. Your side is VERY far behind, and many of the districts you just flipped were occupied by Democrats before Trump’s election. All this tells me is that Democrats are energized to oppose any Republican, whether they’re moderate or hard right, just to send a message to Trump. But Republicans will continue struggling to win races if they keep running weak, timid, characterless candidates who are afraid to embrace the President or his agenda. The Democrats will show up regardless, but the Trump movement is where all the energy is on the Republican side and not many candidates are taking advantage of that.

So, all in all, I agree with you that Democrats are far more energized than Republicans. But I disagree that distancing from Trump would make Republicans more energized.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
On the contrary, I know (and like) many Republicans. Sometimes I even vote like one. It's the Rush Limbaugh-quoting, Sean Hannity-channeling, "Fake news!" heralding Republicans I take issue with. The ones who don't like to pay taxes to support infrastructure but then can't figure out why it takes six days for the schools to reopen in Virginia after a very mediocre snowstorm. Good Republicans are like good Democrats--they play fair and stick to the rules of good democracy. I don't take issue with someone who likes small government and wants to keep the deficit in check. I take issue with someone who votes for an almost universally panned tax bill because he (or she) is so indebted to his (or her) donors that they're willing to sell out their country for campaign contributions. "Dirty tricksters" (self-proclaimed) and dirty politics have all but ruined the Republican party for me.

I'm basically a moderate, so it takes very little to sway me one way or another over the line. But what the Republican party is right now? That's a line I'm not willing to cross.

"Moderates" don't call those who disagree with them such vile names. You basically painted a whole group of voters as being "slimy".

I was once a staunch democrat as I grew in a blue state hearing stories from my elders about how much dems did for the poor, working and middle classes. For example, those dems of yore would have been horrified to learn that their constituents were either being displaced in the workforce or were having their wages depressed all due to illegal immigration. Those dems of yore would have done something about it, too---and I don't mean amnesty. Somewhere along the line, dems lost their way---and lost a lot of people like me. Dems are still putting illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans, which is a despicable thing to do. Any American who still thinks that dems are looking out for them and putting them first is being played for a fool.

And, no, I don't belong to the RNC. When they called to ask us to join, I gave them an earful. Neither party is looking out for Americans but at one time, I expected much, much better from the dems.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
[quote=BOS2IAD;50963756]^^^^Ah...A perfect example of someone moving out of a liberal area because life got tough there. Then you move to a state and vote in the same types who made your state worse. Oh...the irony.

Moved from California with a boatload of equity, life didn't get tough there at all and it got better here, I had the option to transfer the California good life to Virginia and it's worked out beautifully.
I don't live to vote but when I do vote it's for rational, intelligent citizens who believe in democracy and understand that taxes are needed to fund ALL THE THINGS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED for gods sake. In Virginia we have tea party car plates with a snake coiled ala the "don't tread on me" symbol. I see alot of these tags on late model European cars and the old blood boils. Such smug, well off *******s who would rather fund their own bourgeoise lifestyle while denying others their due shot at healthcare and education, it pretty much sickens me.
I'm not a dyed in the wool liberal, more moderate like Isabella, but I will not silence my internal fire when I witness what the Republican party has become and that it has induced an irrational, egocentric, mean spirited mindset in selfish slugs from the DC suburbs to the hollows of Kentucky. It's a collectively callous mindset working here and it crosses socio/economic borders, laying waste to the integrity and promise of a pretty much forgotten American ideal.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:03 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
[quote=Poquoson7;50976610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Ah...A perfect example of someone moving out of a liberal area because life got tough there. Then you move to a state and vote in the same types who made your state worse. Oh...the irony.

Moved from California with a boatload of equity, life didn't get tough there at all and it got better here, I had the option to transfer the California good life to Virginia and it's worked out beautifully.
I don't live to vote but when I do vote it's for rational, intelligent citizens who believe in democracy and understand that taxes are needed to fund ALL THE THINGS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED for gods sake. In Virginia we have tea party car plates with a snake coiled ala the "don't tread on me" symbol. I see alot of these tags on late model European cars and the old blood boils. Such smug, well off *******s who would rather fund their own bourgeoise lifestyle while denying others their due shot at healthcare and education, it pretty much sickens me.
I'm not a dyed in the wool liberal, more moderate like Isabella, but I will not silence my internal fire when I witness what the Republican party has become and that it has induced an irrational, egocentric, mean spirited mindset in selfish slugs from the DC suburbs to the hollows of Kentucky. It's a collectively callous mindset working here and it crosses socio/economic borders, laying waste to the integrity and promise of a pretty much forgotten American ideal.
As I said---neither party is looking out for Americans. The sad thing is that at one point democrats could be counted on to look out for the poor, working and middle classes. Somewhere along the line, dems lost their way and now put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans.

You want others to have "their due shot at healthcare and education". As long as there are illegal aliens, who btw, have no business being here are tapping into welfare programs (and, yes, they do tap into those programs once they have an anchor baby as the entire family benefits at that point), just how much do you think is going to be left to give Americans who need "their due shot at healthcare and education"?

It's sad that you allow yourself to get angry to the point that your "blood boils" at seeing a "Don't tread on me" license plate. You really need to chill.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 PM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
[quote=BOS2IAD;50977638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post

As I said---neither party is looking out for Americans. The sad thing is that at one point democrats could be counted on to look out for the poor, working and middle classes. Somewhere along the line, dems lost their way and now put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans.

You want others to have "their due shot at healthcare and education". As long as there are illegal aliens, who btw, have no business being here are tapping into welfare programs (and, yes, they do tap into those programs once they have an anchor baby as the entire family benefits at that point), just how much do you think is going to be left to give Americans who need "their due shot at healthcare and education"?

It's sad that you allow yourself to get angry to the point that your "blood boils" at seeing a "Don't tread on me" license plate. You really need to chill.
Oh please, blood boiling is a metaphor so don't feel sad for me fellow traveler. I'm as chill as they come but I will let you know right of the freakin bat if you espouse a hollowed out version of the American experience and continue to blame "illegal aliens" for not allowing others born in America to grab the golden ring.

The agricultural Central Valley of California would COLLAPSE if not for farmworkers, 100% of whom are central American and Mexican migrants, illegal and legal. It's been a bridge to survival for these people, to pick freakin spinach and lettuce, bus tables, wash dishes, clean office buildings and lay down pavement. What would you do if you were facing a bitter end and wanted to better yourself and your family. Would you pack yourself into a refrigerated truck in Yuma and ride it to the borders of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernadino, San Diego, Bakersfield etc. or would you stay and die a slow death in the vast and incomprehensible problem that is Mexico and Latin America. Have you ever even seen how those people live or are you an armchair disciple for making America great again by shipping these folks back to desperation.....

peace out......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia