Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife and I were thinking of moving to the South with Virginia as a possible location. We live in California now. My wife is from Texas and I lived in Texas for almost ten years.

We are both middle aged, White Conservative Christians, no young children to worry about (all grown) don't need to worry about schools, we are not nightlife people, are not mall shoppers, hate traffic, hate subdivisions, like the slow lifestyle and peace and quiet, my wife is a stay at home wife and I will be attempting to write some books.

Any cities or towns VA. Natives or anyone else could suggest?

Thanks so much,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,453 times
Red face Stafford Virginia

Stafford Virginia is a great location. http://stafford.va.us/

Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Smile Go West

Mark: From your description (not mall shoppers, hate traffic, hate subdivisions, like the slow lifestyle and peace and quiet) you need the inspiration of the western part of the state - go way down, at least 150 miles from the DC region, one of the worst traffic nightmares in the nation - as bad as anything you've seen in CA. I know, we lived for 27 years in Fairfax County, VA, near Dulles airport. I think anything in the I-95 or I-66 corridors will be too hectic for an author and possibly too expensive.

I'd avoid the I-95 corridor at all costs, it's one of the most crowded in the system, and I-66 is rapidly getting that bad, if not worse, especially within 50 miles of DC.

I highly recommend along I-64, west of I-81. It is gorgeous and extremely lightly traveled. I especially like the old railroad town of Clifton Forge, VA, you can walk the downtown, know your neighbors, sip a coffee. Two of the nations most prestigious old resorts are nestled down in those mountains, The Greebriar and The Homestead. The beauty of that region is probably the best in VA, unless you're an ocean type, in which case it's a whole different game and then I'm out of my depth (pun intended! - from a wannabe writer).

Best of luck to you!

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-04-2006 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Default From California to Virginia

Welcome to our state! From your inquiry I would sugget visiting this very diverse state and see for yourself. All sections of our state are very distinct as well as the people and the culture. In a nutshell:
SOUTHEAST(Norfolk, Tidewater, Va Beach)....Not for you!
NORTHERN(Washington suburbs).......Ditto.
CENTAL(Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Richmond). Probably a No but worth a look.
SHENANDOAH VALLEY(Harrionsburg to Roanoke)...Lots of small towns, laid back lifestyles, outstanding scenery. Real estate prices at present good but
not for long!
SOUTHWEST(Blacksburg to Bristol). Beautiful scenery, good real estate, more rural in nature. I think you might go for this region.
SOUTHSIDE(Danville to North Carolina). Worth a look. Lots of friendly people.
Good Luck in your search!!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
We are both middle aged, White Conservative Christians, no young children to worry about (all grown) don't need to worry about schools, we are not nightlife people, are not mall shoppers, hate traffic, hate subdivisions, like the slow lifestyle and peace and quiet, my wife is a stay at home wife and I will be attempting to write some books.
I'd suggest you spend a week in western Virginia, touring some of the country and communities surrounding both Roanoke and Blacksburg. I live in Boones Mill, VA, which is just south of Roanoke. I own a 128 acre horse farm (http://www.oakhillstablesva.com blog at http://www.pecorfamily.com) and I think this region could suit you quite well. If you're a writer, then you might consider touring the small town of Floyd. It is a small town, reknowned for it's slow pace and thriving arts community. Floyd is an hour from the heart of Roanoke, a bit too far away from a metro area for my taste, but it might suit you nicely. There are a number of Floyd bloggers that I know personally. You might look into http://www.fragmentsfromfloyd.com, http://ripples.typepad.com/ripples/, and http://www.blueridgemuse.com/. All three are in Floyd and are interesting characters. If you're quite conservative, Floyd County will match you well although the town itself and the arts community there is notably liberal minded (like myself). But in the South, liberals and conservatives, baptists and athiests, are quite often the best of friends. Quite a contrast to where I grew up (Vermont). People are friendlier down here, at least in my experience.

I'm partial to Franklin County, just south of Roanoke County. In Franklin County, you're convenient to Smith Mountain Lake and Roanoke, which though a small city is home to more arts than the city size itself would suggest. Being just on the east side of the Blue Ridge, weather can be a bit warmer in Boones Mill than in Roanoke, and is substantially warmer than Floyd, where the climate is quite similar to Cape Cod. Our tax rate is $0.52 and unlike other areas where re-assessments seem to be made biannually, our county reassesses only once every four years. The economy is healthy and the medical community is thriving so retirement in the Roanoke Valley area is a pretty safe bet.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,985 times
absolutely visit and see what you guys like. Williamsburg should be a place you consider. it is highly rated as a place to retire - the College, general laid back attitude and natural beauty are wonderful. We have a large artists community and writers of all kinds. Many volunteer opportunities with CW museums and classes available for retired people. Many clubs, active lifestyle, etc. Also Charlottesville, it is a little more expensive and has more snow, certainly worth a look.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
West of I 81, and south of I 66. As much as I'd like to send you to Winchester, it's growing unbelievably fast. Get over into the Allegheny Highlands. The view alone is inspiration to write.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
Check out Hume, Orlean, Marshall, and Washington. They are all in Fauquier county. All of those areas are very quiet, Christian, conservative and have no resemblance to the rest of Northern Va. The views of the mountains from these areas is amazing as well.

Last edited by DavidS827; 01-23-2007 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,276 times
I won't reccommend Williamsburg, sorry!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Ok guys, i'm really confused on the weather issue around mountains.

now i know the higher elevation well naturally it's colder & you catch all the weather, but from what i gather the best place to live would be on the eastern side of mountains since the western side gets dumped on leaving the eastern side with better weather, am i right.

welllllllllllllllll you got got mountains all over the place, boones mill is warmer than roanoke & better than floyd.

ok floyd is 2500 ft elevation ok i see that but yet roanoke sits down in valley, i need a quick mountain weather lesson.

and while i'm at it, the southwestern area in general, how far off would i be in estimating your general average snowfalls would be in the area of 3-4 inches perhaps 3 times a year, then melt off the next day or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia