Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliest Region of Virginia?
Eastern Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Arlington, PW, Fredericksburg) 6 12.50%
Western Northern Virginia (Loudoun, Fauquier, Culpeper) 3 6.25%
Richmond Area (Including Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Ashland) 11 22.92%
Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Williamsburg) 4 8.33%
Shenandoah Valley (Winchester to Roanoke) 9 18.75%
SW Virginia (South of Roanaoke and West) 15 31.25%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

Just a poll. Im not putting "Northern Virginia" as a joke- but I divided the region, because Loudoun is a little bit different IMO than Fairfax and PW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Personally I would classify Roanoke as Southwest Va. To me Winchester & Roanoke are very different.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Yeah Roanoke is definitely SW VA...

Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Personally I would classify Roanoke as Southwest Va. To me Winchester & Roanoke are very different.
Actually, I disagree. Roanoke to me is where the Valley ends. Its the southwest end of the Valley. Because west and South of Roanoke, you no longer are in the valley- you enter the Appalachian mountain chain.

I realize Winchester has now been engulfed by DC, but I find people in Winchester to be very very friendly. Its Patsy Cline's old place for heaven's sakes

Actually Roanoke to me seems more stand offish and less friendly- almost suspicious of outsiders.

To me, though, The Shenandoah Valley has the friendliest people not just in Virginia- in the World!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Yeah Roanoke is definitely SW VA...
No, its part of the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Maybe....

But I was born and raised (for 20 years) in Roanoke and I can guarantee you that 95% of the locals would consider themselves a part of SW VA.

Plus Roanoke is located in the Roanoke Valley which is directly southwest of the Shenandoah Valley and Northeast of the New River Valley

I don't think Roanoke could be considered stand-offish or less friendly to outsiders...then again Im not an 'outsider' so I can't speak first hand. I know I have good friends who are originally from Saudi Arabia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Haiti, Ecuador, Honduras, Jamaica, Somalia, Ethiopia and even really foreign places like Northern Virginia. They all live in Roanoke and they seem to be fitting in just fine; they all love it from what they tell me.

I think Teebyrd86 is originally from Richmond so he's an "outsider" living in Roanoke so maybe he can speak on his experience.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe....

But I was born and raised (for 20 years) in Roanoke and I can guarantee you that 95% of the locals would consider themselves a part of SW VA.

Plus Roanoke is located in the Roanoke Valley which is directly southwest of the Shenandoah Valley and Northeast of the New River Valley

I don't think Roanoke could be considered stand-offish or less friendly to outsiders...then again Im not an 'outsider' so I can't speak first hand. I know I have good friends who are originally from Saudi Arabia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Haiti, Ecuador, Honduras, Jamaica, Somalia, Ethiopia and even really foreign places like Northern Virginia. They all live in Roanoke and they seem to be fitting in just fine; they all love it from what they tell me.

I think Teebyrd86 is originally from Richmond so he's an "outsider" living in Roanoke so maybe he can speak on his experience.
You make that joke about Northern Virginia. I grew up in Loudoun County and we were just as friendly as your area, if not more. Don't try to lump all of us in with that. Parts of Northern Virginia are almost identical to the Roanoke Valley area...

You can say that Roanoke is SW Virginia. IMO- its the gateway to SW Virginia. But technically- its still part of what is known as the Shenandoah Valley. Its the SW tip of the Valley.

Ive only been to Roanoke a few times. They just dont seem to like Richmonders. They think we're snobby. Even though I wasnt born in Richmond, my family is from Richmond, and Ive lived here since I was 18. But when I tell folks I'm from Richmond they get kinda quiet.. like Hmmm. Can we trust you? LOL. Im just sayin'

Old 05-25-2009, 07:55 PM

Haha, yeah I was only joking about NoVA. I actually like the place quite a bit. My mom is originally from DC so most of my maternal-side family lives in DC or NOVA with a few in Maryland.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Haha, yeah I was only joking about NoVA. I actually like the place quite a bit. My mom is originally from DC so most of my maternal-side family lives in DC or NOVA with a few in Maryland.
Thats another thing that is a pet peeve of mine. When people say DC is Northern Virginia. DC is in another state. They are over there, lol

Growing up we hardly ever went to DC for anything. We didnt even call it "NOVA" We just called it Virginia.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
You left off southside VA in your poll or Southcentral VA which includes places such as Farmville, Emporia, Danville, Martinsville, Blackstone etc. From my experiences I would say the friendliest people in VA are generally found in SW VA and Southside VA, although no region of the state is completly rude/unfriendly, especially compared to some people in the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia