Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times

Advertisements

Well, las vegas drunk, my experience with my Mexican GTI has been excellent.

20 years, 200,000 + miles, an alternator, a muffler and a cat later and it is still very reliable and a hoot to drive.

The VW diesel owners that I know have me drooling for a Jetta TDI Sportwagon. They report great mileage, tons of torque, and a hoot to drive.

There have been niggling problems, electrical as noted earlier, but I would rather have something fun and efficient than most in the OP list. (I do have a thing for the Mini, but would rather have the original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Well, las vegas drunk, my experience with my Mexican GTI has been excellent.

20 years, 200,000 + miles, an alternator, a muffler and a cat later and it is still very reliable and a hoot to drive.

The VW diesel owners that I know have me drooling for a Jetta TDI Sportwagon. They report great mileage, tons of torque, and a hoot to drive.

There have been niggling problems, electrical as noted earlier, but I would rather have something fun and efficient than most in the OP list. (I do have a thing for the Mini, but would rather have the original.
What year of GTI is it? Not all are bad, just most. I would like to look it up though.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM

35 posts, read 102,724 times
Thank you all for your responses. I've got a lot to think about

Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I wouldn't hesitate at all to get the TDI. I have an 06 GLI with now 37k miles on it, and it has been trouble-free. I have the 18" wheel option and I was expecting lots of rattles at this point, but there isn't one. The stereo quality isn't that hot, but it's a hoot to drive, and the interior materials cannot be matched in this price range. I still complain about the cost of service, but mine has the 50k mile warranty and routine service isn't included. If I recall correctly, you will have the 36k mile warranty with service included.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
What year of GTI is it? Not all are bad, just most. I would like to look it up though.
89, had it since new.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
89, had it since new.
Yeah I don't believe they were made in Mexico back then.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah I don't believe they were made in Mexico back then.
Nope, mine was made in Mexico, I should know I own it.

I love how easy it is to be an 'internet expert'.

I thought I was getting one from the Westmorland plant and when I learned it was from Mexico I almost did not take delivery on it. Sure glad I did!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
I'm in the same boat right now. I was leaning toward a MINI, until I sat it in. It felt very form over function. I couldn't figure anything out and it didn't even have an arm rest. Drove a Jetta, and I loved it. I hate sedans, but am considering a TDI sedan. Probably would have bought one today except the dealers in MD, PA, DE, and NJ are closed on Sundays

Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
You can order an armrest for a MINI. I owned an 04 Cooper S and 06 Coopers S convertible. Completely reliable. The Clubman is larger.. I'd look at it. Don't know much about the new engines but people on northamericanmotoring seem to like it.

If you are keeping the car for short term, I'd look at reseal. It seems the VW TurboDiesels have good resale, and MINIs are on top or close to the top in holding its value.. at least of late. If you drive a car until it dies this will be a non-issue.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Bought my first VW TDI , last year. It's a '00, and it had 85k miles. Since I'm a modding freak I've added a larger turbo, larger injectors , reprogrammed ECU, heavier clutch, suspension kit , and several other things. It's an awesome car , very fun to drive , and for what it is it's kind of fast. It comfortable fits 4 adults and the best part... 48mpg... and that's driving it hard. I know I could break the 50mpg barrier if I just slowed down some. The car now has 117k miles and I couldn't be happier with it. Haven't touched my '01 Dodge/Cummins since I bought it.

I've been in the new Jetta and it was nice, a little quieter than the last generation but I did notice the interior quality was a little cheaper. More plastic and less skin & foam covered panels.
I would not hesitate on buying a TDI...expecially over a hybrid. If you do purchase one learn everything you can about it, maintain it and it will last for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen