Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
The focus on the county rather than encouraging (or even permitting) extensive incorporation and annexation contributes greatly to Maryland's wealth and comprehensive development. In metropolitan Atlanta, the multitude of local and county governments make widespread regional transportation planning a pipe dream.

A major reason why Maryland had been ranked first in the nation in education for three straight years is the lack of bureaucratic largesse in that only county level systems are funded. By contrast, every county in Georgia is legally allowed to have two school systems in operation and northeastern states tend to have hundreds of schools systems on township and city levels. Many on city-data bemoan the lack of achievement in PG county schools which are certainly poor in comparison to many of the top flight, nationally-prominent districts in the state.

However, many states would be grateful for even the presence of a Prince George's County. PG County has six high schools on the Newsweek list which accounts for one-fourth of all of its high schools. By contrast (for example), the entire states of Iowa and Idaho only have six. Maine, Nebraska, West Virginia, and New Mexico only have four high schools on the list; South Dakota (roughly the same population as PG County) has three. Montana, Mississippi, and Louisiana have two. New Hampshire has one.

Like Prince George's County, some of these states don't have exceptionally large cities and the others have "social" issues just like PG County so these are fair comparisons. So despite all of the negative criticisms, Prince George's County has a large but seemingly fairly well distributed population, particularly outside of the beltway.
Absolutely meaningless. Do you know how these schools are ranked? They based their rankings on the number of AP test taken at each school and as well as some other meaningless variables. The ranking has nothing to do with performance.

I consider myself to be a pragmatist, I see and dislike PG County for what it is, but I see it for what it can be. You can argue about a lot of things with PG County and I probably would be right along with you for most of it, but when it comes to education, there is no fight in me. This school system is broken, corrupt, and complacent. There is very little positive that can be said about it. And I believe I can say that because I am a product of this school system, so please understand, this is coming from first hand experience and not someone who lives in Fairfax who hasn't ever step foot in one of these schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM

314 posts, read 759,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
No problem. I like statistics/demographics so I liked doing it. The 'no big cities' thing isn't really unique to PG County though, it's like that throughout most of Maryland. Baltimore is our 'big city', and other than that, the only other places that come anywhere near having 100,000 people are Silver Spring (Montgomery Co.) and Columbia (Howard Co.)
Yeah PG County sounds like the definition of suburban sprawl...I've noticed several Maryland counties(particular those that are suburbs of Baltimore and DC) lack major cities but still have rather large populations...It's kind of weird but as has been proven those numerous clusters of small communities are much bigger as a whole.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM

175 posts, read 652,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Absolutely meaningless. Do you know how these schools are ranked? They based their rankings on the number of AP test taken at each school and as well as some other meaningless variables. The ranking has nothing to do with performance.

I consider myself to be a pragmatist, I see and dislike PG County for what it is, but I see it for what it can be. You can argue about a lot of things with PG County and I probably would be right along with you for most of it, but when it comes to education, there is no fight in me. This school system is broken, corrupt, and complacent. There is very little positive that can be said about it. And I believe I can say that because I am a product of this school system, so please understand, this is coming from first hand experience and not someone who lives in Fairfax who hasn't ever step foot in one of these schools.

This is just rediculous! I joined the barrio de langley park newsletter and got a intersting email from a pg county teacher who works in carole highlands.

Heres what the newsletter said

"BEST TEACHERS. Is it possible that the best teachers
aren’t working in the most challenging schools, and therefore
the less-than-best teachers add to the challenge? Bill Turque,
writing in the Washington Post (14 January 2011): "'Good
teachers have always transferred over time to easier schools,
because there are so few other ways to reward yourself,' said
Kati Haycock, president of the Education Trust, a nonprofit
organization that promotes widening educational opportunities
for minority and low-income students. Veteran teachers say
spots at schools with high rates of poverty and discipline issues
have sometimes been used as punishment, while assignment
to a more successful school might be doled out as a reward.
Let’s hope this isn’t the case in Prince George’s County."

The teacher dissagreed with this i can't put private info on here but pg isn't different from any other typical schools. Yes pelpl may live under some poverty but it aint that bad. Its defitly not as good as moco, but thats just the county.

No they aren't the best, its official but

If you don't live or work or go to school there just be safe and keep your opinions to urself. Cuz you got no reason to be hatin or talking nonsense.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Default Because PG County School aren't good there should be no list

Quote:

These are your personal issues. I have heard them before. I'm sure Jay Matthews (who developed the Newsweek methodology) would like to take into account behavior issues, single-parent households, PG County's antiquated funding system and high millage rates, political corruption, teachers waiting out retirement, and the $5 billion promised toward math and science education versus $81 billion in tax cuts for the rich. But I think that is a bit too many variables for a list of academic achievement.

Sorry to those who don't like this system of measurement but the Newsweek list methodology is sound, thorough, exhaustive, and does not play favorites. If you have a problem with the methodology, please review the items 1-17 (which is in full disclosure to anyone who reads the list) and tell me what you have a problem with and why. Short of that, save the lament of the why you think PG County has failed for someone else. Of course PG County can do better for a variety of the reasons you mentioned. I fail to see how that disqualifies the merits of the list or makes the PG County Schools any better or worse than the others on the same list.

Should no PG County Schools be on the list? Should they all be on the list? I'm sorry that you attended PG County Schools and left them unprepared but I have taught AP at a school that has been on list and taught college courses at two others (not to mention lived in the zones and feeder systems of numerous others). Schools rise and fall on the list and I find the list to be quite accurate.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
This is just rediculous! I joined the barrio de langley park newsletter and got a intersting email from a pg county teacher who works in carole highlands.

The teacher dissagreed with this i can't put private info on here but pg isn't different from any other typical schools. Yes pelpl may live under some poverty but it aint that bad. Its defitly not as good as moco, but thats just the county.

If you don't live or work or go to school there just be safe and keep your opinions to urself. Cuz you got no reason to be hatin or talking nonsense.
Clearly you aren't a product of ANY education system because I definitely STATED that I graduated from this county's school system. And many of the people on here know that I AM a resident of this county, I've been a resident most of my life. I've seen the times when this school system was good and now as it has gotten worse. My wife also worked for the school system for a few years, so needless to say I think I should have some knowledge on the subject. But regardless, if you don't like my opinion don't come on here. It's a forum I'm free to express myself and you are free to disagree (something you clearly can't spell). But please if you're going respond, please spell correctly and use grammatical editing because it is hard to tell what you are trying to say. Not trying to be rude, but it's the truth.

Last edited by justtitans; 01-31-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
These are your personal issues. I have heard them before. I'm sure Jay Matthews (who developed the Newsweek methodology) would like to take into account behavior issues, single-parent households, PG County's antiquated funding system and high millage rates, political corruption, teachers waiting out retirement, and the $5 billion promised toward math and science education versus $81 billion in tax cuts for the rich. But I think that is a bit too many variables for a list of academic achievement.

Sorry to those who don't like this system of measurement but the Newsweek list methodology is sound, thorough, exhaustive, and does not play favorites. If you have a problem with the methodology, please review the items 1-17 (which is in full disclosure to anyone who reads the list) and tell me what you have a problem with and why. Short of that, save the lament of the why you think PG County has failed for someone else. Of course PG County can do better for a variety of the reasons you mentioned. I fail to see how that disqualifies the merits of the list or makes the PG County Schools any better or worse than the others on the same list.

Should no PG County Schools be on the list? Should they all be on the list? I'm sorry that you attended PG County Schools and left them unprepared but I have taught AP at a school that has been on list and taught college courses at two others (not to mention lived in the zones and feeder systems of numerous others). Schools rise and fall on the list and I find the list to be quite accurate.
Direct quote from the article you posted:
Quote:
We take the total number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge (AICE) tests given at a school each year and divide by the number of seniors graduating in May or June.
I never said no PG County school should be on the list, I just said the list doesn't have merit and that the overall school system is poor. Facts are facts, we have the lowest test scores and one of the lowest graduation rates in the state. The administration is awful, there has been too many changing of superintendents over the years, very little discipline in individuals schools, teachers are being demanded to handle too many tasks (like quantifying their test scores and analyzing the results), and there are far too many standardized tests. That's not to say that every school is like that. There are great schools here, but there are a lot of bad ones too. Overall it is bad. And I never said that I left unprepared, as I was able to benefit from being in the TAG program, Magnet Program, and AP courses. I did very well for myself in high school and in college thank you very much, but that doesn't mean that the school system hasn't changed. I never said the school system has always been bad, I said it is bad now, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! From the tone you are taking, I assume you are offended by what I said, but how can you be mad when I'm stating facts from the articles that YOU posted!!! I don't understand? I want the school system to succeed but I'm not naive to think the school system is good.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post

Oh and might I add how are you going to defend a school system but you can't spell words like "disagreed" and "people"???????????????????????????????

Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM

175 posts, read 652,107 times
Quote:
Oh and might I add how are you going to defend a school system but you can't spell words like "disagreed" and "people"???????????????????????????????
Good point, i'm using my phone here so it's harder to type.... I hope you still "got the message" from my post though.

Not to be offtopic...

Btw i never meant the post to be directly to you, i was really reffering to the whole conversation overall. That steelers10 guy obviously made the point that pg county shouldn't be on the list, you made the opposite argument. I don't really know where this is getting us

Please note EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION

I am now being smart and using a computer where i can actually spell english now.

Again, it wasn't directly to you.

Last edited by yayayards; 01-31-2011 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: make my point clear

Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Default I think we can agree PG County Schools aren't high performing for Maryland

Quote:
Direct quote from the article you posted:

I never said no PG County school should be on the list, I just said the list doesn't have merit and that the overall school system is poor. Facts are facts, we have the lowest test scores and one of the lowest graduation rates in the state. The administration is awful, there has been too many changing of superintendents over the years, very little discipline in individuals schools, teachers are being demanded to handle too many tasks (like quantifying their test scores and analyzing the results), and there are far too many standardized tests. That's not to say that every school is like that. There are great schools here, but there are a lot of bad ones too. Overall it is bad. And I never said that I left unprepared, as I was able to benefit from being in the TAG program, Magnet Program, and AP courses. I did very well for myself in high school and in college thank you very much, but that doesn't mean that the school system hasn't changed. I never said the school system has always been bad, I said it is bad now, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! From the tone you are taking, I assume you are offended by what I said, but how can you be mad when I'm stating facts from the articles that YOU posted!!! I don't understand? I want the school system to succeed but I'm not naive to think the school system is good.
You completely missed the point of my post as well as this forum. Despite being the lowest performing county on MSAs (for whatever that is worth because these are state standards not national) Prince George's County has an educational structure almost identical to all other counties in Maryland. So if you are looking for hope, Prince George's County could seize all low income housing inside the beltway by eminent domain and raze it thus dispersing the academically-low performing population (Baltimore City could do the same). Although that is just shifting the problem (just like low-income black flight from DC to Maryland) and not correcting it, PG County's MSA scores would be catapulted much higher; I'm sure that would make you feel much better.

However, the Newsweek Methodolgy works because AP Exams, curriculum, and trust me, teacher training and preparation are held to national standards thus a more reliable level of comparison. As a result:

Bad School District in MD (PG County) = Mediocre School District in GA, MS, WV

Lack of incorporation removes layers of bureaucratic spending (police, fire, EMS, library, schools) of which schools are the largest expenditures. Perhaps if the six high schools were part of their own separate schools districts like they would be across the river in Virginia (Fairfax County, Arlington County, Alexandria, Fairfax City, and Falls Church Public Schools) one might say, "Wow, there are three really high performing school districts on the east side of DC but that big PG County district is horrific!" This is more or less the characterization of Baltimore and DC Public Schools that have no higher performing unincorporated suburban hinterland.

But Prince George's County does have this diverse land use mix as indicated by previous posters so a more representative characterization of PG County's infrastructure is represented by its school district - once again 25% of high schools are high performing (poor for Maryland) vs. 100% for Montgomery County (excellent for everywhere as MoCo is often regarded as the best school district in the U.S.) Both stats that are realistic and accurate. You are talking about the need for fixing "broken" school districts which belongs on a completely different forum.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,663 times
JMHO, but I think people give way too much weight to school rankings and average test scores. They act as if sending your child to the best school will somehow magically make him or her a better student. I think this is a mistake because it assumes that the school has a bigger role than the student and the family. I went to a school with a mediocre academic reputation and I'm sure that Newsweek and any other survey would have considered it pretty poor. On the other hand, it had AP classes and I got a good education. I can't speak to all the teachers, but mine were mostly fine. When I got to University, I felt as prepared as my friends who went to high prestige private schools and the best public schools in Northern Virginia.

I wouldn't want to send my child to a school that is dangerous, where she would be under social pressure for performing well academically, or where her specific teachers are bad, but as long as she can excel there, I wouldn't much care about whether the school is prestigious. A school's average test scores are irrelevant to any individual child. I would rather see my child get high test scores at a "bad" school than poor scores at a "good" one. I do care about how my own child performs. Even very poor schools turn out a few top performers, and I would expect my child to be one of them if she is personally capable. It is my job to motivate my child to succeed, not the school's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland