Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:52 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

If I were a lower to middle class person I would never move to the suburban areas of Washington DC, especially Maryland. It is not the place for people who are not working in some type of executive job or the federal government. Things are just to expensive.

I always wonder how the people who make less than $50K a year make it in Montgomery County Maryland. Housing is more expensive than almost anyplace in the country outside of CA or NYC and the wages are not that much higher for non skilled labor. For most of the jobs that do not require advanced skills or a professional degree, wages are kept low because the area is full of immigrants.

If you are a lower skilled worker why would you move to Maryland or any other part of the DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 PM

135 posts, read 605,991 times
Default possible answer

Because your county as corn and you got some idiot telling you on a forum like this Capitol Heights is a great place for you.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
If I were a lower to middle class person I would never move to the suburban areas of Washington DC, especially Maryland. It is not the place for people who are not working in some type of executive job or the federal government. Things are just to expensive.

I always wonder how the people who make less than $50K a year make it in Montgomery County Maryland. Housing is more expensive than almost anyplace in the country outside of CA or NYC and the wages are not that much higher for non skilled labor. For most of the jobs that do not require advanced skills or a professional degree, wages are kept low because the area is full of immigrants.

If you are a lower skilled worker why would you move to Maryland or any other part of the DC area?
This is one BIG reason I am leaving Mont. Co. I just can't do it anymore (work two jobs to make it). As far as housing..... There are programs out there (HOC) that assist those in the lower income range (but they always have a wait list..so what do people do while they wait?). There is a certain percent of every new development that is required to be govt. subsidized (sp?).

As far as middle income.... You are right...

Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,969 times
Capitol Heights is a good place in Pg county to invest in beacus eof the new development coming to the area. If I wanted fast equity becaue in majority of the areas in Maryland house prices are dropping but not in capitol Heights because of the development. i see you understand nothing about real Estate and thats what separate the rich from the poor is to buy low and sell high.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,587 times
Default Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Capitol Heights is a good place in Pg county to invest in beacus eof the new development coming to the area. If I wanted fast equity becaue in majority of the areas in Maryland house prices are dropping but not in capitol Heights because of the development. i see you understand nothing about real Estate and thats what separate the rich from the poor is to buy low and sell high.
Now you see a another GREAT reason why I am moving... RUDE PEOPLE!!

Maybe don't know what you know... but what would this world be if everybody knew everything???

Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 190,369 times
jeeze lscalder why do you always try to belittle everyone? FYI there is alot more that seperates the rich from the poor than 'buying low and selling high'...

Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

You might move here because you have family here. Also, there ARE jobs. in other places there are no jobs for the people already there.

Many people live with extended family - so you can have 3+ incomes per household. There is also huge communities from many countries. If you are new to the US, you might feel more comfortable if you get to spend time with people who speak your language and share your customs.

Housing may be cheaper elsewhere, but people may not want to or even be able to live there.

just my $.02

Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 PM

91 posts, read 484,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNative View Post
jeeze lscalder why do you always try to belittle everyone? FYI there is alot more that seperates the rich from the poor than 'buying low and selling high'...
I thought lscalder was responding to Bus who pretty much called her an idiot earlier in the thread

...but then again I'm still a newbie here

Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
You might move here because you have family here. Also, there ARE jobs. in other places there are no jobs for the people already there.

Many people live with extended family - so you can have 3+ incomes per household. There is also huge communities from many countries. If you are new to the US, you might feel more comfortable if you get to spend time with people who speak your language and share your customs.

Housing may be cheaper elsewhere, but people may not want to or even be able to live there.
Good points Koofie. In the 2000 census over 1/4 of the residents of Montgomery County were foreign born, I think the percentage is higher now. People new to this country often live where friends and relatives from their old country live.

I have lived here for 35 years. My friends are here, my life has been here, my doctors, my dentist, my family. There are a lot of negatives, but it is home. As to new people coming, of course the answer is jobs. There is a very high employment rate. It is a fact that with rising population many cannot live in a large house with a lot of land, and that it is expensive for middle income people.

I think people stay here because of family, friends, and jobs. And they come for the same reasons. That is not to say it is easy to get by with a small income, but people do it.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,969 times
Bus: My statement buy low sell high is bascially stating that Real Estate is what separate the poor from the rich. 90% of all millionaires own Real Estate and thats one thing that majority of poor donot understand is Real Estate and how important Real Estate is. If oyu buy low meaning in a cheap area such as Capitol Heights and hold it until development start coming into the area you then sell high and make a profit to continue buying Real Estate or start your own Business or do what ever you want with the money.
I thought you would understand that statement buy low sell high.
People tend to say I will never live or purchase a home in capitol heights but guess what all the investors are because they understand buy low now but hold it for couple of years or months and then sell high. Real Estate for yrs now have always been the difference between rich and poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland