Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It didn't seem dangerous to me at all, just rather tired and a bit down at the heels. Parts of Falls Church over in Fairfax seem the same way, but all the good Vietnamese and other restaurants there perk them up a bit.

Wheaton has both good Dim sum (or did, its been years since we had it) AND kosher felafel.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Wheaton has both good Dim sum (or did, its been years since we had it) AND kosher felafel.
Is this the place you're referring to?

Max's Kosher Cafe - Wheaton | Urbanspoon

Seems like it might be worth checking out.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Is this the place you're referring to?

Max's Kosher Cafe - Wheaton | Urbanspoon

Seems like it might be worth checking out.
It is. And if you should be at a Redskins game, they have a stand and their Kinish is the best deal in an otherwise overpriced hellhole.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Full Key - Best wanton soup Honk Kong style......

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
I live in Silver Spring. I go to wheaton mall all the time, personally I really don't see anything wrong with the area. Wheaton is just a diverse community. I think people see a mass of minorities and feel that it's going down hill, which can be sad to make such an assumption, but I think that is how people tend to view places with a high minority population.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I live in Silver Spring. I go to wheaton mall all the time, personally I really don't see anything wrong with the area. Wheaton is just a diverse community. I think people see a mass of minorities and feel that it's going down hill, which can be sad to make such an assumption, but I think that is how people tend to view places with a high minority population.
Well, let's be honest. If all those Hispanics were middle class or above with all the culture, income, and refinement that goes with it, I doubt this would be much of an issue beyond an interesting observation.

But that is not the case. You have a great deal of overcrowding in single family housing. Neighborhoods have become run down. There are multiple cars parked on the lawns, trash dumped in the streets. Add to it a good chunk of the population is welfare dependant and probably illegal as well with language barriers, and is it any wonder the situation does not reaise a few eyebrows?

That is not to say there are not good people there. Of course there are. And sure, I go to Wheaton Mall without any trouble, but I read about incidents there more often than not. Just because you and I are not part of the stats does not mean stuff does not happen.

Its an area that has seen much better days. You can intepret the minority factor as you wish. If it were lilly white Swedes living there, people, including not a few Hispanics, would say the same things.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM

You assume if they were middle class then these problems wouldn't exist. Well look at P.G. there are a lot of middle class safe neighborhoods in the county, however people will be quick to tell you to stay out of P.G. So I don't really buy that too much.

Lets face it Montgomery county as a whole is pretty expensive to live. Note: I know there are multiple homes with multiple people staying under one roof. Also how do you know how many people are illegal in Wheaton? Do you know all illegals are hispanic or is that the popular thing to say? I can tell you for sure there are good and not so great neighborhoods across the nation. Wheaton is no different but over all it's not a super hotbed of crime but it's not Potomac either.

Our experiences differ I'm pretty sure we won't see eye to eye on my feelings, but I'm well aware that just because I'm more often than not safe in the area, doesn't mean I can't get jacked for my car or worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, let's be honest. If all those Hispanics were middle class or above with all the culture, income, and refinement that goes with it, I doubt this would be much of an issue beyond an interesting observation.

But that is not the case. You have a great deal of overcrowding in single family housing. Neighborhoods have become run down. There are multiple cars parked on the lawns, trash dumped in the streets. Add to it a good chunk of the population is welfare dependant and probably illegal as well with language barriers, and is it any wonder the situation does not reaise a few eyebrows?

That is not to say there are not good people there. Of course there are. And sure, I go to Wheaton Mall without any trouble, but I read about incidents there more often than not. Just because you and I are not part of the stats does not mean stuff does not happen.

Its an area that has seen much better days. You can intepret the minority factor as you wish. If it were lilly white Swedes living there, people, including not a few Hispanics, would say the same things.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You assume if they were middle class then these problems wouldn't exist. Well look at P.G. there are a lot of middle class safe neighborhoods in the county, however people will be quick to tell you to stay out of P.G. So I don't really buy that too much.

Lets face it Montgomery county as a whole is pretty expensive to live. Note: I know there are multiple homes with multiple people staying under one roof. Also how do you know how many people are illegal in Wheaton? Do you know all illegals are hispanic or is that the popular thing to say? I can tell you for sure there are good and not so great neighborhoods across the nation. Wheaton is no different but over all it's not a super hotbed of crime but it's not Potomac either.

Our experiences differ I'm pretty sure we won't see eye to eye on my feelings, but I'm well aware that just because I'm more often than not safe in the area, doesn't mean I can't get jacked for my car or worse.
Firstly, we are talking about the town of Wheaton, not so much MoCo as a whole. So I am not sure why you bring PG into the mix. PG, for the record and imho, has a great many areas that are nice and a few that are less so. Most of it is normal.

Secondly, and with regards to who is illegal and who is not. On a superficial observation, I have not the slightest idea. But there are plenty of ways to google stats on how many illegals are in this country as a whole, in which states, and in which towns and counties. There are millions of illegals in the USA, mostly from Latin America by virture of our contiguous border with Mexico- 2nd grade geography will verify that. So it stands to reason that a great many Latin Americans in Wheaton are illegal.

Otherwise, why is it such a hot topic? Why is the MoCo government wanting to grant illegals voting privileges, drivers licenses, and tuition benefits? If they are legal, then the point would be moot.

Finally, you are correct, Wheaton is not quite a hotbed of crime like let's say Detroit. Nonetheless, its a lot more dangerous than it was 10 years ago. There was no MS-13 and the like. That notwithstanding, its the public services issues that are most important.

And yes, were Wheaton full of Latin Americans with jobs in government, law, advertising, etc, I dare say it would be indistinguishable from Potomac and others. In essence, its really not about ethnicity, but rather behavior and negative culture.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
lol...I know someone who recently moved 10 mins away from Wheaton into the Kemp Mill area. They still own the home in Wheaton, but are renting it. They began living there in 1990 and all was well. Then when interest dropped in 2006 all the neighbors moved on up out the area. New people moved into the houses next to them; then they extended the houses; then the parking situation got seriously horrible - you could never find parking as the adjacent houses had as many as 8 cars at times. His teen girls couldn't walk the streets as the were always harassed by guys. So yes, i think that could be considering going down. He had NEVER ever intended to move from Wheaton, infact part of the reason he still owns that house is that he over improved it and would never get the money out right now. So in the meantime he's happy collecting the rent, and loves living in the Kemp Mill area, 10 mins away. He doesn't have to worry about strangers knocking on his door every couple weeks, not being able the find parking at night, etc....

There are some parts that are/was really nice, like in the Plyers Mill section. Wheaton though is still one of the most convenient places to live!!!!!

Last edited by tonyc; 02-17-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Well moth I brought up P.G. for that point that minority dominated places tend to be viewed negatively that's why I brought that up.

I understand illegal immigration is a hot topic and very much something that has come under fire. However we can't assume that all the hispanics in Wheaton are illegal. That is just ridiculous to assume that. I'm pretty sure there are some but nobody can accurately know how many are illegal. For the road I'm pretty good with with Geography so I think I know where mexico is. But you will be surprised to know that in this area El salvadoreans are in abundance in this area, not just mexicans. Regarding crime I don't doubt for a minute Wheaton has increased in crime. But is it as bad as D.C. crime no.... But it's still fairs better than a lot of other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Firstly, we are talking about the town of Wheaton, not so much MoCo as a whole. So I am not sure why you bring PG into the mix. PG, for the record and imho, has a great many areas that are nice and a few that are less so. Most of it is normal.

Secondly, and with regards to who is illegal and who is not. On a superficial observation, I have not the slightest idea. But there are plenty of ways to google stats on how many illegals are in this country as a whole, in which states, and in which towns and counties. There are millions of illegals in the USA, mostly from Latin America by virture of our contiguous border with Mexico- 2nd grade geography will verify that. So it stands to reason that a great many Latin Americans in Wheaton are illegal.

Otherwise, why is it such a hot topic? Why is the MoCo government wanting to grant illegals voting privileges, drivers licenses, and tuition benefits? If they are legal, then the point would be moot.

Finally, you are correct, Wheaton is not quite a hotbed of crime like let's say Detroit. Nonetheless, its a lot more dangerous than it was 10 years ago. There was no MS-13 and the like. That notwithstanding, its the public services issues that are most important.

And yes, were Wheaton full of Latin Americans with jobs in government, law, advertising, etc, I dare say it would be indistinguishable from Potomac and others. In essence, its really not about ethnicity, but rather behavior and negative culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland