Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 AM

68 posts, read 122,000 times

Advertisements

I've been in Clinton MD for a little over a year. I like the area but I must say this area has the worst driving I've seen in my life. In the past 4 months I've had two neighbors who had their vehicles hit from behind while their cars were parked on the street. Both times it was because of a drunk driver. Keep in mind this is a suburban street with little traffic.

I witness an accident at least 3-4 times a week on Branch avenue due to people dangerously weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. Every week I see stuffed animals on branch avenue where someone was killed due to idiotic driving. Last month coming off 495 someone was rear ended so hard I was going 60mph and the car flew past me on the left as the result of someone rear ending the car at an extremely high speed. On numerous occasions while waiting to turn at an intersection I've had people start laying on their horn I suppose because I won't turn into on coming traffic. Recently a guy tried to pass me and almost got hit by on coming traffic while I was in the intersection and he was behind me. His destination... McDonalds. At least half of the drivers tail gait and slam on their brakes every 2-3 seconds due to not leaving a safe amount of distance in stop and go traffic. There are way too many reckless and irresponsible drivers in this area. I see people driving like this with their kids in the car and it is very disappointing. I've lived in Laurel and travel to DC, Baltimore, and Norther Virginia for my job. I'm relieved when I get to drive in other areas other than this area. The driving is much safer in other areas of PG county. It's mainly Branch Avenue between 495 and Waldorf. My advice when driving in this area pretend everyone is trying to kill you and be an extremely defensive driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
I concur, this area has some very bad drivers. People are just not patient at all, but I actually don't think Clinton and Waldorf is nearly as bad as some other parts of the area. In Oxon Hill, especially on Oxon Hill Road with all the openings for businesses, people will dart out in front of you just to get to a stop light that's already red. Then on Indian Highway, if you go against rush hour traffic and try to turn across people will rush ahead 10 feet only to stop just so you don't turn in front of them. It's quite sad, but I think it has a lot to do with the quality of life in these areas. People feel as though they always have to rush because they are always waiting. My wife hates that about this area. The road system definitely could be better, but people need to be more patient.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrommw7 View Post
I've been in Clinton MD for a little over a year. I like the area but I must say this area has the worst driving I've seen in my life. In the past 4 months I've had two neighbors who had their vehicles hit from behind while their cars were parked on the street. Both times it was because of a drunk driver. Keep in mind this is a suburban street with little traffic.

I witness an accident at least 3-4 times a week on Branch avenue due to people dangerously weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. Every week I see stuffed animals on branch avenue where someone was killed due to idiotic driving. Last month coming off 495 someone was rear ended so hard I was going 60mph and the car flew past me on the left as the result of someone rear ending the car at an extremely high speed. On numerous occasions while waiting to turn at an intersection I've had people start laying on their horn I suppose because I won't turn into on coming traffic. Recently a guy tried to pass me and almost got hit by on coming traffic while I was in the intersection and he was behind me. His destination... McDonalds. At least half of the drivers tail gait and slam on their brakes every 2-3 seconds due to not leaving a safe amount of distance in stop and go traffic. There are way too many reckless and irresponsible drivers in this area. I see people driving like this with their kids in the car and it is very disappointing. I've lived in Laurel and travel to DC, Baltimore, and Norther Virginia for my job. I'm relieved when I get to drive in other areas other than this area. The driving is much safer in other areas of PG county. It's mainly Branch Avenue between 495 and Waldorf. My advice when driving in this area pretend everyone is trying to kill you and be an extremely defensive driver.
This is not indicative of just Southern PG and Charles County. the entire D.C. area was rated with the "dumbest" drives in the country. Which is why I hate driving in D.C. Virginia is no different. It all boils down to immigrants not being familiar with D.C. area driving culture, impatient drivers, and drivers who feel like the road was built just for their driving pleasure. This area has a severe sense of entitlement that carries out into the driving culture.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

281 posts, read 811,241 times
I had to add my 2 cents

Before I moved I was asked which place had the worst drivers - DC area or CA (specifically L.A.)

So now that I've been here a while I can definitely say DC area (MD/CA/DC) hands down. Even my 14 year old daughter noticed it! I've never had so many cars/drivers do things like make right turns (from the 2nd lane over as IF the right turn lane is not even there!), stop suddenly, ride the brakes and tailgate, and do ANYTHING not to provide common traffic courtesy.

Common traffic courtesy is letting you in on the freeway or when the lane has narrowed due to an accident,etc.

I've been driving in SoCal for 23 years - so I thought I'd had it as bad as it could be (in the USA --- hands down driving in Paris is the WORST exp. ever!)

On the plus side the service I get (about 85% of the time) in PG County from store workers and others (even the MVA people!) has been far better than what I got in SoCal. I guess it's all a matter of trade off's huh?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
It seems that all highways and major roadways in this area encourages crazy driving. So much so that you end up driving rather crazy yourself, trying to defend your well-being and your vehicle. I've noticed the craziest driving in PG on 202 in the Landover area, 197 in Bowie, and 5 in Southern PG.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
It seems that all highways and major roadways in this area encourages crazy driving. So much so that you end up driving rather crazy yourself, trying to defend your well-being and your vehicle. I've noticed the craziest driving in PG on 202 in the Landover area, 197 in Bowie, and 5 in Southern PG.
YES!!! Have you ever driven in the Kettering Shopping Center with the Target and the Giant? That is one of the worst shopping centers I've ever driven in. People are so rude there. They don't let you get parking spaces, they don't let people cross, people almost break their neck to get a parking space and then either cuss you out or give you the finger for you being 'in their way'. I believe the overcrowding of the shopping center contributes to this behavior, but people should be more civilized especially considering there's a police substation in the shopping center and the MVA is next to it!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
YES!!! Have you ever driven in the Kettering Shopping Center with the Target and the Giant? That is one of the worst shopping centers I've ever driven in. People are so rude there. They don't let you get parking spaces, they don't let people cross, people almost break their neck to get a parking space and then either cuss you out or give you the finger for you being 'in their way'. I believe the overcrowding of the shopping center contributes to this behavior, but people should be more civilized especially considering there's a police substation in the shopping center and the MVA is next to it!
It's a bit ghetto there, so I limit my trips. Sometimes the parking lot drama spills over into the stores. Once, in the Target, a store detective started following and eyeballing me. I turned and gave him one of my looks and he left quickly. I figured the customers are tripping, and they are treated accordingly.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I concur, this area has some very bad drivers. People are just not patient at all, but I actually don't think Clinton and Waldorf is nearly as bad as some other parts of the area. In Oxon Hill, especially on Oxon Hill Road with all the openings for businesses, people will dart out in front of you just to get to a stop light that's already red. Then on Indian Highway, if you go against rush hour traffic and try to turn across people will rush ahead 10 feet only to stop just so you don't turn in front of them. It's quite sad, but I think it has a lot to do with the quality of life in these areas. People feel as though they always have to rush because they are always waiting. My wife hates that about this area. The road system definitely could be better, but people need to be more patient.
I was stopping at a red light on Branch Ave on the way to Iverson Mall when this Mercedes who was so close to my back bumper he could smell whether my car had Quaker State or Mobil 1 nearly hit me but darted into the other lane just so he could run that red light. Probably was doing at least 70 after he got past me.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 PM

201 posts, read 573,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I've noticed the craziest driving in PG on 202 in the Landover area, 197 in Bowie, and 5 in Southern PG.
Oh my God yes, those people are crazy as all outdoors. Leaving from Bowie last week I had to face the wrath of some crazed drivers.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 AM

68 posts, read 122,000 times
I was walking to the gym at Brandywine crossing and while walking through the parking lot this man was giving me angry looks as he passed by me in his car. There was a pick up truck in front of him and he started cussing and screaming profusely I guess because the truck wasn't speeding fast enough through the parking lot. He rides the guys butt, speeds past him, makes a u-turn and he ended up (you guessed it) at the red light going no where. The madness must end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland