Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Good luck with that. When you're done, you can head north and get folks in Charm City to say "Bal-ti-more" rather than "Bawlmer." Better yet, head up to Havre de Grace and teach the locals about the correct French pronunciation.

When in Rome....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
Title pretty much says it all.

We're thinking about moving there so I took my kids and drove over the other day to spend the day and just get a "feel". Some moms I talked to at the library told me the city's name is pronounced not like David Bowie's name, but like boo-ey.

Seriously?

I just can't make myself say that.

slclady, I am a native of Prince Georges County and lived in Bowie for a little over 20 years, I watched William Levitt build Belair at Bowie back in the early 60s. The history of Bowie is that the city of Bowie was named after Oden Bowie who was the Governor of Maryland and the President of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad. Oden Bowie's father was Colonel William Duckett Bowie who had obtained a charter from the Maryland legislature to construct a rail line into Southern Maryland in 1869. The town was originally named Huntington City. Bowie originally started out as a railroad town back an 1853 and now it is the largest city in Prince George's County with a population of a little over 55,000 people and still growing. The pronunciation of Bowie is the same as the knife and the gentleman whom the knife is named after and that would be Jim Bowie ( boo-ie )....

Old 09-07-2011, 02:48 PM

315 posts, read 767,488 times
I'm with you slclady! I've lived in MD for 20 years and I only recently found out it wasn't pronounced bow-ee.

Boo-e sounds funny to me too, especially since the spelling is that of a bow tie, not a boo tie.

I think it goes along with hon v. hun too. I mean seriously, I'd never call my husband honny or ask him to do things on his honny-do list

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
I'm with you slclady! I've lived in MD for 20 years and I only recently found out it wasn't pronounced bow-ee.

Boo-e sounds funny to me too, especially since the spelling is that of a bow tie, not a boo tie.

I think it goes along with hon v. hun too. I mean seriously, I'd never call my husband honny or ask him to do things on his honny-do list
...............................boo-ey

Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
...............................boo-ey
Geez, I hear you. What part of "it's pronounced the same as the Bowie knife" they don't get?

Now, shoot those out of towners down to Mt. Rainier, MD, especially those from Washington State, and ask them how they pronounce Mt. Rainier.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 AM

150 posts, read 298,238 times
Wait, what? How do you prounounce Mt. Rainier.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
Wait, what? How do you prounounce Mt. Rainier.
The saga continues

Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I am not sure on that one either, but I think the one in Maryland is

Mount Rainy-er.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I am not sure on that one either, but I think the one in Maryland is

Mount Rainy-er.

Well you're close, it's pronounced Mount Rain-yer....... This from a native Prince Georgian who grew up in the Riverdale, Hyattsville,Bladensburg, Colmar Manor, Cottage City, College Park, Greenbelt, Lanham, Seabrook, and Mount Rainier area and lived in Bowie for over 20 years......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland