Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 49,476 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I want to visit Deale MD by public transportation (I don't drive due to a physical handicap) from NJ. What's the best way to get to Deale from either WDC or Annapolis? Are there local buses that run frequently enough to enable me to spend a few hours in Deale before my return trip to NJ the same day? It seems most of the 'transportation companies' are run for tour buses or large groups in MD. I am either going to take the Bolt Bus from NYC to WDC or Annapolis if it stops there or close to it. I saw that the Bolt Bus goes to the 'Green Belt Metro Intermodal Station'. Is this someplace close to Annapolis? And/or can I get public transportation from the Green Belt Station to Deale MD? Thanks.

For those that want to know I have an issue with my neck that precludes driving for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILED View Post
Hi folks, I want to visit Deale MD by public transportation (I don't drive due to a physical handicap) from NJ. What's the best way to get to Deale from either WDC or Annapolis?
The MTA Maryland web site gives me about the best solution from Washington DC. There is the 904 afternoon commuter bus leaving from Pennsylvania Avenue and 7th Street NW. For example, one leaves at 3:24PM and gets to "Owings Dash-In MD 2 & MD 260 Stop ID: 340" at 4:27. From the you take a 12 minute taxi ride to Deale. Obviously, you would have to get from the Bolt bus stop to Penn & 7th Street, but that's probably a short taxi ride. The limitation on the commuter bus is that they go into Washington in the morning and leave Washington at mid day or afternoon, so a 1-day round trip for you doesn't sound possible. Here's the link to the schedules: Commuter Bus | Maryland Transit Administration

The other possibility I can see is taking the bus to Annapolis (or Greenbelt) and getting a taxi down to Deale. (You would have to call the cab companies to get a cost, as I have no idea.) Greenbelt is nowhere close to Annapolis, so it's better to go to Annapolis if there is a bus. You could also look into taking the train to the BWI airport stop and getting a taxi to Deale from there.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

92 posts, read 429,077 times
I'm afraid there aren't many good connections that far out. According to google maps, you can catch a commuter bus in DC (MTA route 904) that will take you to North Beach, from there you would still need a ride to Deale (around 15 min), maybe you can get a taxi? Since its a commuter bus, you would probably have to catch it in the afternoon take the bus back to DC from North Beach in the morning, so you would need a place to spend the night.

Here's a link to MTA's commuter bus page so you can look up the schedule. Commuter Bus | Maryland Transit Administration

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Deale is, well it's Deale. I would ask what you're going for? There's no real tourist venues there unless you like looking at marinas.

As noted, there isn't what one would consider public transportation and even cabs are spotty.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

92 posts, read 429,077 times
Goldenage beat me to the punch. Another option that occured to me is you could take the Green line from the Greenbelt station all the way to Branch Ave, and get a cab from there to Deale (23 miles according to google). But it looks like Annapolis to Deale would still be a shorter cab ride, plus you avoid the metro. Either way that will give you alot more flexibility

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Thank you very much for your prompt and courteous reply.

My dilemna is that i was hoping it would be possible to make this a one day trip due to expenses. I realize that overnight expenses would triple the cost of my 'vacation' and put it out of reach. I understand that 'commuter buses' run for folks heading to work and that's how the schedule is setup. Frustrating for 'day trippers' like myself to visit places.

I just want to go down and spend a few hours walking around and look at the boats there and have a nice meal at one of the resturants. What seemed like a simple and affordable 'vacation' is turning out to be less so. I'm going to have to inquire about the taxi from Annapois MD to Deale fare I guess.

Maybe I can find someone in NJ who would like to go to Deale for a day trip? I'd buy lunch and gas for the roundtrip.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Deale really isn't a walkable town, very few if any sidewalks, and it's pretty spread out.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Or maybe there is someone in Annapolis/Deale MD that would meet up with me there, and run me down to Deale and have me buy them lunch for the roundtrip instead of me paying a taxi to do the same? There is a boat I wanted to look at down in Deale MD that is kind of unique.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Deale really isn't a walkable town, very few if any sidewalks, and it's pretty spread out.
Well then, I guess Mystic, CT it ain't eh? LOL! I'm going to see about cab fares if I can't find a person interested in doing the roundtrip from Annapolis to Deale with me. It's nice to know things like this in advance and I did give everyone that chimed in a brownie point or whatever it's called LOL!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Ok, folks that live in, or have gone to, Deale MD frequently enough to eat out there and have a reasonable opinion of the places to eat please chime in. I know there are 2 places, Pete Green's, Skipper's Pier. The Yelp reviews are outdated and self canceling about both places IMO. Is there/are there other places to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland