Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,567,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Studies have shown that due to rising gas prices, stagnant salaries, and other forces, 20s and 30s are looking for more walkable transit oriented neighborhoods. I know a lot of new people who are coming tot he DC area without cars and are looking for places close to public transit. In addition, these people are having fewer to no kids at that age and don't necessarily need a single family home.Apartments are becoming popular again.

That's very true about apartments. I know a few people who are lifetime apartment dwellers or who have sold their homes because they don't want the headache/maintenance of owning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonsenseDMV View Post
I am personally against the ever expanding urban/suburban sprawl that has destroyed much of Maryland's wet lands, forests, etc especially in Prince Georges County. For some reason, when county governments look at large plots of land, they see that as an opportunity to build out, instead of up. There is nothing in their plans that reduces enviromental impact at all. The fact that they can't revitalize area's that are already in ruins is simply a lie. For example. There is plenty of office space located at the old Giant Food Headquarters building located off of Sheriff Rd. However, the building remains unoccupied, the property is slowly becoming a bum slum and deteriorating. Theres lots of area's in the urban areas that are not developed to their potential, and it just seems that the planners believe that building more, expanding more, approving more expansion and development is the way to go.

Personally the belief I have that I think will improve the county in the long run and encourage people to move there is improvement of the schools and eliminating the crime rate in the county. Most people won't stay in the county or move to the county because the schools are simply low grade. With improvements in security and raising the bar for teachers I am sure that the schools have the ability for improvement.
I agree with you about revitalization. I think that the county would go a long way by having more aggressive revitilization plan. Offering deep discounts in terms of taxes for business relocating and improving existing distressed properties. Doing the same for new homeowners and having $1 auctions for abandoned properties located in the 6 areas that Baker has identified for improvements. That would be big. School improvement would take a long time and changes on multiple levels. Considering that Americans are having fewer kids (http://www.newser.com/story/120102/a...ewer-kids.html) there is wiggle room to do what is necessarty to make it right. If the school system focuses on the lower grades and move up we could see a change in the next decade.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
I am personally against the ever expanding urban/suburban sprawl that has destroyed much of Maryland's wet lands, forests, etc especially in Prince Georges County. For some reason, when county governments look at large plots of land, they see that as an opportunity to build out, instead of up. There is nothing in their plans that reduces enviromental impact at all. The fact that they can't revitalize area's that are already in ruins is simply a lie. For example. There is plenty of office space located at the old Giant Food Headquarters building located off of Sheriff Rd. However, the building remains unoccupied, the property is slowly becoming a bum slum and deteriorating. Theres lots of area's in the urban areas that are not developed to their potential, and it just seems that the planners believe that building more, expanding more, approving more expansion and development is the way to go.

Personally the belief I have that I think will improve the county in the long run and encourage people to move there is improvement of the schools and eliminating the crime rate in the county. Most people won't stay in the county or move to the county because the schools are simply low grade. With improvements in security and raising the bar for teachers I am sure that the schools have the ability for improvement.
Actually, I think PG is doing a better job than most. They just passed a bill to protect and encourage farms and farmland. I think PG has about 13 farms or something like 300,000 acres of farmland left? I can't recall the figures. Fortunately there is still enough open space in the county to give that country feel west of Bowie, and South of CLinton/Waldorf. But I agree. Any new forest land or other rural development should cease for a little while and focus should be placed on the empty blighted areas near the 15 transit stations and inside the beltway.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I think that we need to create urban centers but not necessarily have the entire county become urban (since that style may not appeal to everyone). These designated centers should be themed to appeal to certain demographics (Baby boomers, yuppies, etc.). Definitely up TOD efforts and targeting groups with higher disposable incomes. This may not be a popular option but passing the gay marriage bill could have a positive impact on the state/county by attracting individuals and couples who, historically, have a higher level of disposable income.
Who said anything about the whole county. One of the main issues with PG county planning is the lack of infill. The outer ring of PG should remain the same. The density should be built inside the beltway where the metro station's are. Think orange and yellow line's in Arlington/Alexandria and the red line in Montgomery County. The problem with PG is all the development is in the form of low density sprawling poorly planned subdivisions. That is why PG is seen as rural.

This is about smart growth. Building highrises around metro stations with street grids should be the future for growth in PG. For people who don't desire to live an urban lifestyle, there is always Frederick County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, and Charles County. There are also low density suburbs like Mitchellville and Upper Marlboro or Bowie that have no metro access. The goal should be to redevelop the garden apartments sprawling over PG inside the beltway and build urban footprints that come right up to the street with first floor retail etc. If you want to attract the kind of residents with high return and low service costs (kids), you need to build vibrant neighborhoods and PG county doesn't have a single one like say downtown Silver Sping or Bethesda or Rosslyn-Ballston etc. Washington DC is a major metropolis and is joining the ranks of NYC and Chicago in this country. The high density urban lifestyles are what is expected in the city and people who don't desire that need to move far away from the city.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:

So am I. That's why they need to raze all those garden low density apartments inside the beltway and build urban footprints with structured parking. Change the zoning to require zero lot development around the Metro stations and densify the inner beltway suburbs to eventually bring the purple light rail line south through the new dense highrise neighborhoods.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The goal should be to redevelop the garden apartments sprawling over PG inside the beltway and build urban footprints that come right up to the street with first floor retail etc.
I agree 100%

Here's an example of that. Ground broke on the first phase. Redeveloping the apartments behind PG Plaza Mall.

http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/562

Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	3857
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	99838

Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	1486
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	99839

Greenbelt is another. I imagine Spring Hill Lake would be redeveloped as well.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 08-17-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree 100%

Here's an example of that. Ground broke on the first phase. Redeveloping the apartments behind PG Plaza Mall.

http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/562

Attachment 99838

Attachment 99839

Greenbelt is another. I imagine Spring Hill Lake would be redeveloped as well.
That looks pretty nice. I can see them re-doing PG Plaza and making that area comparable to Silver Spring. I'm surprised that project isn't getting more attention, especially considering it is so close to the metro.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Who said anything about the whole county. One of the main issues with PG county planning is the lack of infill. The outer ring of PG should remain the same. The density should be built inside the beltway where the metro station's are. Think orange and yellow line's in Arlington/Alexandria and the red line in Montgomery County. The problem with PG is all the development is in the form of low density sprawling poorly planned subdivisions. That is why PG is seen as rural.

This is about smart growth. Building highrises around metro stations with street grids should be the future for growth in PG. For people who don't desire to live an urban lifestyle, there is always Frederick County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, and Charles County. There are also low density suburbs like Mitchellville and Upper Marlboro or Bowie that have no metro access. The goal should be to redevelop the garden apartments sprawling over PG inside the beltway and build urban footprints that come right up to the street with first floor retail etc. If you want to attract the kind of residents with high return and low service costs (kids), you need to build vibrant neighborhoods and PG county doesn't have a single one like say downtown Silver Sping or Bethesda or Rosslyn-Ballston etc. Washington DC is a major metropolis and is joining the ranks of NYC and Chicago in this country. The high density urban lifestyles are what is expected in the city and people who don't desire that need to move far away from the city.
I think we are talking from the same page but using different language. I agree with you that development/redevelopment around transit areas should have a stronger focus. That has been articulated in various planning reports but needs to be followed to the letter as new developments are proposed. There should also be greater incentives for infill project than there are now. PG will always maintain a rural aspect since agriculture is still one of the base industries here but area already urbanized, metro accessable, and close to the DC line would be great candidates for revitalization.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
PG will always maintain a rural aspect since agriculture is still one of the base industries here
And I think that is wonderful. Especially since farmers markets are really becoming popular as alternatives to high grocery prices.

Please if you can, support your local farmers market! Great food, good prices.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 PM

48 posts, read 80,401 times
Laurel's gonna be densifying with the Laurel Mall redevelopment and Konterra(once ICC is finished to US 1, of course). If we can just get extended hours and weekends on MARC like Chicago and NYC's commuter rail lines have, then I think that do tremendous things for Northern PG, Southern Howard County, and even Western Anne Arundel County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland